Not quite sure what I got, or what mods it has, LP Classic

mecsw500

Reaction score
Ok,

So I have a 2000 LP Classic. I paid $900 for it last year.

Everything seems right. Serial # is 0067xx.
Under neck pickup it has a mark TA and what looks like TA initials scrawled.
Under bridge pickup it has LPCS on the body.
Truss rod cover says Classic. Pickguard says 1960.
Binding is vertically wider at the cutout to neck.
The front of the headstock is beginning to checker along it's length.
All looks good so far. Logos and inlays look correct.

Body however is not a sunburst, just a yellowish kind of maple slab. The back is 2 pieces of mahogany.

Some wally has changed the tuners for Grover's though.
Inside the back cover 3 of the pots all look original and factory soldered. One volume pot looks a little newer but very nicely soldered.

The metal plate in the cavity is stamped Y R B O and W as expected. All solder joints look factory original. The switch is linked to the control cavity with a grey covered red, green, black and white cable. Switch solder joints look original. The switch surround is slightly warped with age. The capacitors are small, orange and .223uf.

The pickups are weird. They have chrome metal covers but they are each slightly different.

The neck pickup is 8.33k, the cover is 3/4 inches deep and the pickup is about 1/2 inch deep, and is therefore recessed into the cover. The back of the pickup says USA Gibson. The pickup is soldered to the cover at the corners. Not normal?

The bridge pickup is 5/8 inch deep as is the cover. It is soldered in the middle of each long side. It is marked USA Gibson. It is 14.5k.
Both pickups are stamped with a T.
I think the bridge pickup is therefore a 500t with a cover?

I don't want to remove the covers to get a look at the pickup and magnets, yet.

The bridge is an ABR-1. The tailpiece is chromed and heavy with a casting seam across the full width underneath.

The neck has a working truss rod with a nut to adjust it. It settles nicley with about a max 10 thou of string clearance. A nice small bow. The neck is nice and thin.

The thing sounds really nice, especially with both pickups on, even though I play with .008s and have my hearing aids turned down a notch. It is in excellent condition apart from the front of the headstock checking and the wrong tuners.

Any comments to what I have. I think it is a genuine 2000 LP Classic but I'm not sure about the pickup arrangement. However the color is not a sunburst either.

It was easier to describe in detail I thought rather than a 1000 blurry photos.

Thanks.

mecsw500

Reaction score
Ok, so here goes with the fuzzy pictures.
1. Body
IMG_20190730_082113.jpg

2. Body again.
IMG_20190730_082139.jpg

3. Headstock with finish crazing
IMG_20190730_082129.jpg

4. Control cavity, pots marked Gibson
IMG_20190730_083050.jpg

5. Oddball Gibson pot
IMG_20190730_083118.jpg

6. Neck pickup and cavity.
IMG_20190730_082257.jpg

7. Bridge pickup and cavity
IMG_20190730_082608.jpg

8. Back of bridge and stop tail piece
IMG_20190730_082907.jpg

9. Scratch plate.
IMG_20190730_083359.jpg

10. Back of headstock with Grovers
IMG_20190730_083300.jpg

11. New strings going on, I know, I know but I like .008s.
IMG_20190730_083552.jpg

Ok, I hope this was alright to post.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
That's what we are talking about........ fuzzy pics are fine....... Looks to be a sweet Trans Amber Classic.

The deal with the covers are that these ceramic pups have different pole spacing for the neck and the bridge,... a little wider for the bridge requiring different covers to fit. Depending on how they were sourced they maybe of different origins rather than a pair designed for this application.

At any rate it looks fantastic.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bummer that the headstock was drilled out to fit the Grovers. That's one thing I like about the old Classic... press bushing Klusons.

bblooz

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Nice score on a cool Lester for under a grand. Don't forget to post a "newby" thread on the "Introductions" forum here
:welcome:

LocoTex

Reaction score
Yep, a Classic with pickup covers added. Nice!

StudioFan

Reaction score
Bummer that the headstock was drilled out to fit the Grovers. That's one thing I like about the old Classic... press bushing Klusons.
Why . Whats wrong with Grover’s ?

It isn’t your guitar .

Get yourself one with Klusons .

Rds

Reaction score
Nice guitar. The trans amber looks great.

mfoster

Reaction score
I've never seen a serial number end in XX... and you first label it as 0067xx, but it looks like it's 0055(Blue tape). Sure you got the right guitar ? I'd say the one in the pictures is pretty, but needs 10s

:welcome:

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Gratz!

Thanks for the pics

..and welcome to the monkey house

:applause:

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Why . Whats wrong with Grover’s ?

It isn’t your guitar .

Get yourself one with Klusons .
Nothing wrong with Grover’s. The fact the headstock has been molested to fit them is the problem.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Quite possible that the "checking" on the headstock is actually just the result of someone overtightening the new tuners. I remember some guy bought a second hand LP a few months ago that had even worse damage from overtightened replacement tuners. Then again, the logo also has the same kind of marks. Anyone care to comment on how that might have happened?

Very nice guitar, otherwise, and a steal at that price.

Pete M

Reaction score
Quite possible that the "checking" on the headstock is actually just the result of someone overtightening the new tuners. I remember some guy bought a second hand LP a few months ago that had even worse damage from overtightened replacement tuners. Then again, the logo also has the same kind of marks. Anyone care to comment on how that might have happened?

Very nice guitar, otherwise, and a steal at that price.
I've seen checking like this on loads of 90s/2000s LP s. It seems like there were some lacquer adhesion issues with whatever overlay/finishing steps they were using at the time.

Last edited:

mecsw500

Reaction score
Monkey house, I can't wait for the free bananas.

Yes, sorry the serial number is 005594. I read my list of serial numbers I keep for insurance purposes and I read the wrong line. Good job my new glasses are in.²

The Grover's work well but I agree I wish some prior owner (being polite here) hadn't done this mod. Where the nuts on the front have been tightened down it has worsened, or even started, the checking. Oh well.

I think the issues were reflected in the price I paid at $900. The rest of the guitar is in really nice condition so I bought it despite those mods. It sounds and feels nice to play, I to me, but this was the first Gibson I ever owned.

Part of the checking is perhaps because I live at 5,000 feet and the humidity is about 5%. It's either 100°F and forced A/C, or 20°F and forced air heating. Plays havoc on lacquer finishes and truss rod adjustments. Poly is certainly longer lasting, in my world.

I've been using .008s for years and I've got used to having to have a delicate touch. I've used everything from .008s to .011s and cause I'm odd like that, I like the .008s best. I put them on everything and they seem to work fine for me, however they don't last so long I admit. They seem alright on the Gibson scale length to me but hey, I'm not SRV.

I've put them on the LP, a Gretsch semi-hollow, a Guild and an ESP Custom (and they are all Gibson scale length), and on Fender scale lengths, without issue. They feel nice and my Bassman amp ('59 re-issue) doesn't leave me with any lack of volume. In the area of tone of course YMMV. Tuning down a half step is ok for the Fender scale length, but is a bit on the limit on the Gibson one