Not overly impressed with my new SG tribute

Sirstringalot

Reaction score
After owning a Les Paul tribute and LP special tribute I thought I'd get an SG and have something light to play, I probably got a bad one? even the finish has visable imperfections and this model overpriced imo for how little you get compared to other Gibson models, no trapezoid inlay and not even pickup rings!! let alone covers. The LP tribute has a maple top, nice inlay and ofcourse pickup trim rings so why does the SG come with nothing?

wildhawk1

Reaction score
this model overpriced imo for how little you get compared to other Gibson models, no trapezoid inlay and not even pickup rings!! let alone covers. The LP tribute has a maple top, nice inlay and of course pickup trim rings so why does the SG come with nothing?

Were you aware it didn't have those features before purchasing?

Sirstringalot

Reaction score
Were you aware it didn't have those features before purchasing?
yes and no, I knew it had dot markers which I didn't understand why but overlooked it. Now seeing the finish in person with no pickup covers or trim it looks real cheesy. If SG's don't have rings due to neck angle (im guessing) then covers should be a must. Not sure what to do cause it plays great and I don't like sending back a guitar that plays and sounds great. I can tolerate issues with a guitar but not the neck and this thing has a nice neck it's just so obviously no no frills they should retail it for $999 tops.Gonna think about this one

wildhawk1

Reaction score
yes and no, I knew it had dot markers which I didn't understand why but overlooked it. Now seeing the finish in person with no pickup covers or trim it looks real cheesy. If SG's don't have rings due to neck angle (im guessing) then covers should be a must. Not sure what to do cause it plays great and I don't like sending back a guitar that plays and sounds great. I can tolerate issues with a guitar but not the neck and this thing has a nice neck it's just so obviously no no frills they should retail it for $999 tops.Gonna think about this one

Welcome to the world of Gibson where a plank of wood with one pickup costs $1600. (Junior)

smk506

Reaction score
If it doesn’t do it for you send it back, stack a few more bucks and grab a standard. The things you don’t like might grow on you, but if you’ve been playing awhile it’s kinda doubtful IMO. You could also go the MIJ route, a lot of guitar for the buck from over there.

Lots of great guitars with awesome necks that sound great out there, find one that makes your socks go up and down.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SG Tribute = SG Faded
It's the least expensive SG model.
Satin finish with no grain filler.

SG with batwing (large guard) doesn't ship with pup rings from the factory. Only SG with small guard or no guard have pup rings.

If you want trapezoids, covered pups and rings, get an SG Standard '61.

ARandall

Reaction score
If SG's don't have rings due to neck angle (im guessing) then covers should be a must

Covers don't help one single bit with angle, and batwing SG's have been around since the late 60's - you sound more and more like your shifting blame for your own lack of research here

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
PUP rings are wedge shaped if looking at them from side view. They are what help offset the pup to the neck angle so that the top plane of the pup is parallel to the strings.

full

PUP covers are for aesthetics, similar to wheel covers.

full

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Depending on the severity of the finish problems, I’d send it back.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So why send it back?

Sirstringalot

Reaction score
So why send it back?
Agreed, probably wont. Here's my point about this guitar, if you buy the les Paul Tribute you get a real nice maple top, trapezoid inlay and trim rings for a $100 price difference so seems like the SG tribute is over priced as you get a slab of mahogany and two pickups. Even the rosewood board on my LP is nicer so I guess I and higher expectations for the SG maybe should have got the Standard for +$500 but again all that said this very unimpressive looking with finish flaw to boot SG is a player so I'll keep her and bug you guys wining about it. It's like liking your girlfriend but you think she's not pretty.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, probably wont. Here's my point about this guitar, if you buy the les Paul Tribute you get a real nice maple top, trapezoid inlay and trim rings for a $100 price difference so seems like the SG tribute is over priced as you get a slab of mahogany and two pickups. Even the rosewood board on my LP is nicer so I guess I and higher expectations for the SG maybe should have got the Standard for +$500 but again all that said this very unimpressive looking with finish flaw to boot SG is a player so I'll keep her and bug you guys wining about it. It's like liking your girlfriend but you think she's not pretty.
There is nothing more important than how a guitar sounds and plays. Some great music has been made on worn-down and beat-up instruments.

If you take tow people at open-mike night, and one is a meh player with a new Gib cherry-burst LP, and the other is a great player with a no-name guitar that looks like the ass end of a dolphin, who is going to get the louder applause?

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because a base SG is cheaper to build than a base LP doesn't mean that Gibson will sell the SG at a lower price. SG has about the same recognition as Les Paul (and in fact has been in continuous production since it's first appearance as a Les Paul.)

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because a base SG is cheaper to build than a base LP doesn't mean that Gibson will sell the SG at a lower price. SG has about the same recognition as Les Paul (and in fact has been in continuous production since it's first appearance as a Les Paul.)
I have noticed that as prices have increased over the past year+, some guitars have been overpriced by comparison to other guitars which have not had their prices increased. I can't think of a specific example, but I remember looking at manufactures and thinking that a mid-level guitar which had had a recent price increase being a bad deal because for 10% more, you could get a better instrument.

Sometimes it was 10% less, and you'd get a comparable instrument.

Because I look at Gibsons more than others, this is where I really noticed it.

Kinda unrelated, but one thing I noticed about Fender and the MIM vs USA models was the lack of 6-saddle bridges in the USA Telecasters, while the MIM Teles almost all had them. This was especially notable with the top-end MIMs and low-end USAs. Tradition? I have noticed that more of Fender's USA Teles have 6-saddle bridges as of late.

v-man

Reaction score
The inlays, I get but that is an evident feature (or lack thereof). As for rings WGAF? Rings are utterly stupid and unnecessary where they don’t belong, like Large PG Vs and SGs. Maybe if this was some artist tribute who screwed them in after the fact and they didn’t bother to include them in his tribute, but this rant seems a little ridiculous. If the guitar sounds/plays right as is, go get some chrome covers if needed and cover the pups, just skip the stupid rings.

dk2429

Reaction score
SG Tribute = SG Faded
It's the least expensive SG model.
Satin finish with no grain filler.

SG with batwing (large guard) doesn't ship with pup rings from the factory. Only SG with small guard or no guard have pup rings.

If you want trapezoids, covered pups and rings, get an SG Standard '61.
Or just the $1699 Standard

OP, I have a LP Tribute and it's a FANTASTIC guitar. I've played the SG Tributes and have yet to see one that was worth a damn. Gibson did the LP's correct in regards to the Tribute series, but they half assed the SG's.

Send it back and get this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGSTHCCH--gibson-sg-standard-heritage-cherry

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All of the tribute models are overpriced now. Yes I’d agree that the Les Paul is much more for your money. Used however We hr SG tribute price gap tends to get more favorable to the Les paul, so if you’re not happy with it, send it back and find a used one.

Personally I don’t know why you’d buy any new Gibson at todays inflation proved let alone an SG tribute when you can find a newer good to mint standard or 61 reissue for the same cost or a couple hundred more used.

It doesn’t have pickup rings because it has a large pickguard. I wouldn’t call that a pricing issue, that’s how they are designed. No rings is s positive for me on feel especially on guitars with direct routes an no guard either like some of the high performance models. Some people don’t like the look.

dk2429

Reaction score
All of the tribute models are overpriced now. Yes I’d agree that the Les Paul is much more for your money. Used however We hr SG tribute price gap tends to get more favorable to the Les paul, so if you’re not happy with it, send it back and find a used one.

Personally I don’t know why you’d buy any new Gibson at todays inflation proved let alone an SG tribute when you can find a newer good to mint standard or 61 reissue for the same cost or a couple hundred more used.

It doesn’t have pickup rings because it has a large pickguard. I wouldn’t call that a pricing issue, that’s how they are designed. No rings is s positive for me on feel especially on guitars with direct routes an no guard either like some of the high performance models. Some people don’t like the look.
I agree with this. Later this year I'm planning to get me a cherry Classic. I really want to get one brand new straight from Gibson, but man I'm seeing them on Reverb in mint condition with all of the case candy and everything for $600 less. Might have to go that route

Zungle

Reaction score
Well I guess thats a bummer.....

I played an SG Tribute at M6K in Oly, Wa about an hour ago....

The thing felt incredible, low action, smooth frets, beefy neck......

The pickups were avg....

But all in all really good guitar ....:dunno:

Latest Threads