Not loving Thomastik-Infeld RP110 on 2014 LP Traditional

Deek

Reaction score
I'm older, play at home, wash my handsand clean my guitars like I have OCD, so I have been using Thomastik-Infeld's on all my guitars with really good results. However, while the same set makes my Fenders sound great, and gives my Epiphone Plus Top Pro any LP a run for the money, they don't seem to compliment my newer (to me) 2014 LP Traditional. It came with D’Addario EXLs and I really liked that sound, but it is gone with these strings. I will probably try a set of D’Addario EXLs, but if anyone has advice on strings that bring out that chimey Les Paul sound I had (and lost with the TI's) much appreciated. I like a 10 on my high E. If they don;t last as long, that's okay. It's all about the tone here!

Lesson here. More expensive is not always better!

ARandall

Reaction score
In a straw poll, you'd get every set ever made working for someone or other and therefore recommended.

These sort of questions are borderline pointless. You simply have to try strings until the sound that only you know and want is coming from the individual instrument that only you own.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
+1
I'd tell you DR's
Most would probably split pretty evenly between Slinkies and EXL's
And if you blindfolded the EXL player and handed them a Lester strung with Slinkies, they'd likely not know the difference.

JMP

Reaction score
In a straw poll, you'd get every set ever made working for someone or other and therefore recommended.

These sort of questions are borderline pointless. You simply have to try strings until the sound that only you know and want is coming from the individual instrument that only you own.
^^^ This. That said, I enjoy Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies and GHS Boomers on my traditional.

moreles

Reaction score
Well, then go back to the D'Addarios if they had the sound you like. I change string brands out of curiosity more than anything else, finding that I can get excellent tone from any well-made set, with problems occurring only when I swith to something extreme, like coated strings, or ground-rounds, etc. I find pickup height and balance, and my tone control and rig to be more important than slight variations between strings. On my acoustics, it's different, as one would expect, but for electrics, I don't experience this as a major deal. I don't think strings contribute much to "chime" though extreme formulations like all nickel, or constructions like semi or full flatwounds will eliminate that tone.

spitfire

Reaction score
I agree, that you have to try different strings. What sounds good to you may sound bad to someone else. And even if TI's are expensive and may be worth it in some situation, that doesn't make them the best for everyone in all situations. Certainly no surprise that what sounds best on a Fender isn't what sounds best on an LP. In fact, I'd be surprised that this was the case for anyone. Very different guitars.

That said, I really like the Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure Nickel strings on my LP's. I play clean to moderate overdrive (blues) not high gain.

Deek

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It was kind a dumb question, but I figured that nickel was what I should try and am super happy with some Ernie Balls I picked up. They brought back the kind of midrange chime thing I was missing with the TI strings on that guitar. Appreciate the comments on set up. I’m okay there and it is the one thing I learned. Pickup height is the most amazing thing. FYI the TIs are great on my Fenders and even my Epiphone LP, but I might experiment with pure nickel strings on a few of those too.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I went through the TI thing and it was love at first sound, but that was about it. The first time I heard that tone I was wow’d, but soon felt like it lacked definition. Most probably think they’re a waste of money, but I love NYXLs. I also swear by 9.5s. Like the three bears, I think 9.5s are just right.

hamerfan

Reaction score
The RP110 are the Power Brites which are really akward strings. Steel with brass plating. I only tried the roundwound nickel ones (Bebop Jazz). They are really good strings.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Curt Mangan sells pure nickel strings with round cores, like DRs. The difference is that I have had intonation problems with the DRs and none with the Curt's. Don't know if they will give you the tone you want on your LP, but might be worth a try.

Liquid State

Reaction score
Curt Mangan strings are excellent. Started using these exclusively and soon, quit thinking about strings.

Deek

Reaction score
For what it's worth, pure nickel is what I was missing with the TI's. My store did not have D’Addario EXLs, so I bought a set of Ernie Ball pure nickel slinky and the chime, or bite, or midrange thing, or Pagey-esque kind of thing, or whatever we want to call what I was missing is BACK! I do like the TI on some other guitars, but just not this one (2014 LP Trad).

Duh, I see I already posted about the Ernie Balls, but oh well. I will try other pure nickels and your suggestions. Thanks!