Not in love with my Standard Faded

truckermde

Reaction score
If you don’t like it, move it in for something you do. Doesn’t even have to be another RI necessarily, just maybe not that particular guitar, and maybe not another faded if you’re just not feeling the whole vibe.

I personally love the faded stuff, but it’s not for everyone.
I like the feel of it, on the neck especially.

I love the way they look when polished up, as mentioned upthread.

I always wanted one of Larry's conversions...

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Just move it along.

I sold this '07 Faded because I couldn't get on with the neck profile. Was a beauty, but I never regretted it.

moreles

Reaction score
The OP sounds like normal disappointment with the guitar, which may be affecting the assessment of tone, too. These situations are pretty sad, but you can sell it and move on. I don't like the appearance of it very much myself. With so many choices for LPs, it's easy to get picky, but why not? May as well get something that thrills you.

AaronE

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered this 60th anniversary R0 V1 to see how it compares, as it was priced better than most used R9s. Should still have the 59 neck profile if I understand the versions correctly. If I like the R0 better I'll offer up the standard faded to those who were interested.

1960_V1.jpg

Zylo

Reaction score
hi guys

what do think of this unburst please

Attachments

truckermde

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered this 60th anniversary R0 V1 to see how it compares, as it was priced better than most used R9s. Should still have the 59 neck profile if I understand the versions correctly. If I like the R0 better I'll offer up the standard faded to those who were interested.

View attachment 511494
Oh, man!

That's a beauty! I hope you love it :thumb:

:cheers2:

AaronE

Reaction score
The 1960 V1 has arrived! I have to say, I am absolutely blown away by the Antiquity Burst finish and the top on this one. It makes me so happy just looking at it! Only played it for about an hour, but the neck is a perfect '59-style and the pickups are both rich and clear, so first impressions are all good!

Now I just have to decide which of these to keep...

1960_Full.jpg

All_Horizontal.jpg

1960_Body.jpg All_Vertical.jpg 1960_Vertical.jpg 1960_Back.jpg

brianbzed

Reaction score
I bought my first Les Paul a couple months ago (a weird R8 with P90s) and instantly fell in love with it, and I immediately started seeking out another one. I decided to pick up a 2005 Standard Faded that had the full Larry Corsa conversion done to it (it was this one at Guitar Chimp: 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded ~Peter Green Mods by Larry Corsa~ | Guitar Chimp).

However, after playing it for a couple weeks, I'm just not digging it as much as I expected. It plays and sounds great, there's nothing wrong with it for sure, but the neck just doesn't feel quite a special as the one on the R8 and the overall look and feel is just a little underwhelming. I'm thinking a lot of it may be the aesthetics, because when I listen back to recordings I've done with the guitar, I think it sounds fantastic. It's just that when I'm actually playing it, I don't get the magical vibes was hoping for, and I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing because I don't love the way the satin finish looks, or it's just genuinely not as good as an R8/R9 would be.

Were my expectations too high here? From everything I've read online, people seem to talk about the first-year Standard Faded guitars like they're the best thing out there next to a '59 burst, but this one feels more like my 2019 SG standard than my 2010 LPR8. If I was wrong to expect it to be in the same league as a custom shop guitar, I will probably just sell it and get an R9 or something.

View attachment 510890
Send her to me! I'll give her a loving home! LOL

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That stuff's hilarious. Seriously, wood doesn't "breathe". There is no exchange of air in and out of wood.

The thinness of your finish can't facilitate "breathing". Have you ever tried to breath through a plastic bag? Pop one over your head, and try it. It's pretty thin...

LOL
This is pure gold. Best comment I've read on this forum in a long time - and 100 percent true.

OP, that new one is beyond gorgeous! Congrats!

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
I owned three of the original run, both chambered and regular weight relived and none of them was anything special beyond he uniquely cool satin finish. In fact, I very much disliked the tone of the chambered one as it was thin and weak sounding.

On the other hand I've also owned a couple of the more recent L&M special run fadeds and they were both a couple of my best Les Pauls.

Latest Threads