Not in love with my Standard Faded

AaronE

Reaction score
I bought my first Les Paul a couple months ago (a weird R8 with P90s) and instantly fell in love with it, and I immediately started seeking out another one. I decided to pick up a 2005 Standard Faded that had the full Larry Corsa conversion done to it (it was this one at Guitar Chimp: 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded ~Peter Green Mods by Larry Corsa~ | Guitar Chimp).

However, after playing it for a couple weeks, I'm just not digging it as much as I expected. It plays and sounds great, there's nothing wrong with it for sure, but the neck just doesn't feel quite a special as the one on the R8 and the overall look and feel is just a little underwhelming. I'm thinking a lot of it may be the aesthetics, because when I listen back to recordings I've done with the guitar, I think it sounds fantastic. It's just that when I'm actually playing it, I don't get the magical vibes was hoping for, and I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing because I don't love the way the satin finish looks, or it's just genuinely not as good as an R8/R9 would be.

Were my expectations too high here? From everything I've read online, people seem to talk about the first-year Standard Faded guitars like they're the best thing out there next to a '59 burst, but this one feels more like my 2019 SG standard than my 2010 LPR8. If I was wrong to expect it to be in the same league as a custom shop guitar, I will probably just sell it and get an R9 or something.

lpsf.jpg

MSB

Reaction score
with the Corsa mods your neck pickup should be flipped....

Also, I sold my faded b/c the neck just didn't suit me. Mine was tagged as a '50s... but that must have bene someone's wishful thinking. It sounded great though

I am on board with the faded/thin finishes just having a different vibe to them that I like, maybe they just aren't for you. Its not like you married it, if you don't like it, sell it and move on.

LocoTex

Reaction score
The Fadeds are great guitars. They just don't have the deep shine that the others have, and I like that.

You can bring out more shine from a satin finish by buffing it. After that's done I think they look more like a true vintage guitar.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I think it's hard to expect one of the less expensive Gibson models to compare favorably to a Reissue. The couple of Fadeds I have played were very nice. I never heard of an R8 with p90s. Was it a plain top?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i would have kept my faded but it weighed 13 pounds.that got old after a while.what does yours weigh?

JMP

Reaction score
If you don’t like it, then pass it along. I’d say that applies to any guitar you actually want to play and enjoy. Don’t feel bad about it at all. It’s most certainly an excellent instrument......but it’s not your jam.

Gitter

Reaction score
I think it's hard to expect one of the less expensive Gibson models to compare favorably to a Reissue. The couple of Fadeds I have played were very nice. I never heard of an R8 with p90s. Was it a plain top?
I agree. Not a fair comparison.

AaronE

Reaction score
i would have kept my faded but it weighed 13 pounds.that got old after a while.what does yours weigh?
It weighs almost exactly 8lbs on my scale. It's actually lighter than my R8.

Yep the R8 is a plain-top. It's basically like a honeyburst R6 but it's stamped R8 in the cavity and it has an R8 serial, plus I think it's a slightly thinner neck carve.

20210109_220856351_iOS_1440.jpg r8_cavity.jpg

I agree. Not a fair comparison.
Good to know. I thought from how popular they were online that they were even better than the reissues. I think I will likely sell the faded and look for an R9 instead.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Historics, in general, are going to be a step up from the USA Standards / Trads. Not every time obviously, but you tend to get what you pay for in my experience. So expecting your USA model to feel and look like your Historic may lead to disappointment.

That said, sometimes you just don't vibe with a guitar no matter how cheap or expensive it is.

Roman4405

Reaction score

Yep the R8 is a plain-top. It's basically like a honeyburst R6 but it's stamped R8 in the cavity and it has an R8 serial, plus I think it's a slightly thinner neck carve.

View attachment 511004 View attachment 511006

Good to know. I thought from how popular they were online that they were even better than the reissues. I think I will likely sell the faded and look for an R9 instead.
That’s seriously cool.

BDW60

Reaction score

View attachment 511004 View attachment 511006

There seems to have formed, in the past 15+ years, a cult following/forum marketing campaign to make these faded models out to be something magic and in my experience it just isn’t true.

IMO they are no more or less likely to be an outstanding LP than any other USA model with a proper finish. I had one, have played probably five, and none were in the ballpark of any historic I have owned. This goes back to the “thinner finish lets the wood breathe” stuff that has been done to death with nothing concrete ever being proven either way.

I mean it’s been great for faded resale values, but these being listed for 1,000 more than a nice used Traditional is laughable, IMO.

Don’t be hatin,Faded warriors ... :)

Last edited:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
damn,if i hadnt recently retired id be tempted to make an offer.and if my house didnt already look like guitar center...

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my first Les Paul a couple months ago (a weird R8 with P90s) and instantly fell in love with it, and I immediately started seeking out another one. I decided to pick up a 2005 Standard Faded that had the full Larry Corsa conversion done to it (it was this one at Guitar Chimp: 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded ~Peter Green Mods by Larry Corsa~ | Guitar Chimp).

However, after playing it for a couple weeks, I'm just not digging it as much as I expected. It plays and sounds great, there's nothing wrong with it for sure, but the neck just doesn't feel quite a special as the one on the R8 and the overall look and feel is just a little underwhelming. I'm thinking a lot of it may be the aesthetics, because when I listen back to recordings I've done with the guitar, I think it sounds fantastic. It's just that when I'm actually playing it, I don't get the magical vibes was hoping for, and I'm not sure if it's a psychological thing because I don't love the way the satin finish looks, or it's just genuinely not as good as an R8/R9 would be.

Were my expectations too high here? From everything I've read online, people seem to talk about the first-year Standard Faded guitars like they're the best thing out there next to a '59 burst, but this one feels more like my 2019 SG standard than my 2010 LPR8. If I was wrong to expect it to be in the same league as a custom shop guitar, I will probably just sell it and get an R9 or something.

View attachment 510890
I need another guitar as much as i need a kangaroo, but if you want to sell that i'm interested. :io:

Thrill

Reaction score
Its hard to compare a factory faded to a custom shop reissue.

The faded line was originally made to be a less expensive alternative to the regular standard line. I think they were a few hundred less than their standard counterparts. They just found a fan base who loved them and the prices on them rose. They cost more now than they did when they were new in stores. Theres gonna be good ones and bad ones, and not everyone is gonna like the thin, un polished finish. If they dont feel right in your hands, it just is what it is.

They do sound fantastic though, theres something to the "unclogged pore" finish they use that makes them sound more open and resonant, imo at least. I love mine, and it feels good to me to play, I cant stand a glossy neck on any guitar.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
My favourite LP is a 2011 Traditional Faded. I owned some historic reissues, but they're all long gone. The Faded works for me, and that's all that matters.

If you don't feel this particular one, move it along and try something else.

First ever R8 with P90s I see - that is super, super cool.

truckermde

Reaction score
This goes back to the “thinner finish lets the wood breathe” stuff that has been done to death with nothing concrete ever being proven either way.

Don’t be hatin,Faded warriors ... :)
That stuff's hilarious. Seriously, wood doesn't "breathe". There is no exchange of air in and out of wood.

The thinness of your finish can't facilitate "breathing". Have you ever tried to breath through a plastic bag? Pop one over your head, and try it. It's pretty thin...

LOL

smk506

Reaction score
If you don’t like it, move it in for something you do. Doesn’t even have to be another RI necessarily, just maybe not that particular guitar, and maybe not another faded if you’re just not feeling the whole vibe.

I personally love the faded stuff, but it’s not for everyone.

Latest Threads