Not bonding with my Tribute and can’t figure it out.

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
So may of last year I traded in a Gretsch that I wasn’t playing for a 20 Tribute. Right off the bat it needed a bunch of work. fret sprout was terrible and the nut was binding big time. I took care of the fret sprout and polished the frets. Cleaned up the nut . Adjusted the pickups because sounded like mud imo. Realized it had 300k tone pots in it. Now I play with the tone pot on 10 most of the time.
Initially I bought it because i have lower back pain and neck pain and I was looking for a lightweight LP option . My previous LPs weighed in at 10 lbs minimum and was causing issues with my back . I like that aspect of it. I was thinking of ripping the electronics out and replacing it with 50s wiring . The lack of binding doesn’t bother me . I don’t care for the light rosewood fretboard and the gig bag instead of a case seems kind of cheap. I’m considering buying a real case and replacing the wiring , but don’t know if thats it or not. TOH I have a 335 and SG standard 61 as my double hum guitars that I prefer. Am I crazy? I don’t get it.
you're just used to better guitars :)

GT40

Reaction score
What is bonding with a guitar? Personally I either like a guitar or I don't, right away. If you dislike a guitar, get rid of it.

In much the same way I don't keep buying pistachio ice cream in the hope I will stop disliking it (and bond with it?), I don't buy guitars I don't like and hope I will "bond" with them.

Bonding with inanimate objects seems like weird internet myth to me.

msalama

Reaction score
Well, some guitars I've owned needed some getting used to, and getting set up gradually, before I felt comfortable with them. Call it bonding with the thing or whatever, but I've found it does happen with some fiddles regardless.

budg

Reaction score
You know, there is some truth to that . On the other hand I have a MIM Player Series strat and a CS , plus an AVRI .’my mexi gets plenty of playing time though.

budg

Reaction score
What is bonding with a guitar? Personally I either like a guitar or I don't, right away. If you dislike a guitar, get rid of it.

In much the same way I don't keep buying pistachio ice cream in the hope I will stop disliking it (and bond with it?), I don't buy guitars I don't like and hope I will "bond" with them.

Bonding with inanimate objects seems like weird internet myth to me.
I guess it depends on what you and I mean by bonding. Not really an emotional attachment really. Just that familiarity and comfort when playing it. I’ve had a few guitars I didn’t feel comfortable with that became my favorites over time, like my 335. It wasn’t like I picked it up and immediately felt comfortable . Over a period of time I got used to its differences and it became one of my favorite guitars . Strats it was instantaneous . Same with my Broadcaster and even my SG. Les Pauls aren’teven my favorite humbucker guitar and I’ve had a bunch that I’ve gotten rid of . Bought this because it was cheap and lightweight. It needed a lot of work to make it playable , so that plays into it at some point I suppose . With the 300k pots it gets muddy very quickly . I usually keep the tone on 10 most of the time . In a sense I probably got what I paid for . It’snot junk , just not a shining example of Gibson’s great moves imo.’

Hamtone

Reaction score
Sell it....trade it....don't lump more money into it. Think P90 for that something you may not have. Maybe a Special or Junior. A SG junior would go great with your SG Standard. ;)
I fully agree with this. The only way I would keep it and tinker with it is, if it was an awesome playing guitar, or had a fundamental purpose. Like maybe its a great guitar for some weird tuning, or slide

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a little while to find the one. You should try a Les Paul Modern, they are light have a sweet Ebony Fretboard, an easy access heal to the upper frets and the Grover locking tuners are my favorite tuners. The Les Paul Classic is very nice for the price but they are heavy, so I would rule that one out for you.

I have the Epiphone version of Gibson's Les Paul Modern and couldn't be happier with the overall playability and tone from this guitar. I had to take it to the Luthier for fret leveling and a good setup, but it came back a beast for sure, I just love it. I was going to get a Gibson, but just didn't like the colors they offered so I went with the Epiphone version at Sweetwater, a lot of choices for colors. Since Epiphone stepped up there game I figured it couldn't hurt and I am glad I gave Epiphone a try again.

Last edited:

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
i kinda got this feeling, too. i think gibson does a good job distinguishing guitar lines at their respective price points. I thought the tribute was a great guitar, but i think my studio is definitely better in terms of fit and finish. My less plus is better than my studio and my standard is better than all of them.

endial

Reaction score
Sell it....trade it....don't lump more money into it. Think P90 for that something you may not have. Maybe a Special or Junior. A SG junior would go great with your SG Standard. ;)

I fully agree with this. The only way I would keep it and tinker with it is, if it was an awesome playing guitar, or had a fundamental purpose. Like maybe its a great guitar for some weird tuning, or slide
A P-90 Special would change your world.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Is it worth asking what kind of strap you used for the LPs that hurt your back? When I got my 99 R7 back around 2010, I was excited to play it at my next gig. By the third set, I thought my damn shoulder was going to fall off my body. It was excruciating. I was just using a standard nylon mesh strap. I quickly found a padded 3 1/2" wide Levy strap and have never had the slightest discomfort since. My R7 weighs in just under 9 1/2 lbs.

Btw, I had a 2013 50s Tribute. Was a nice little guitar. I changed the wiring, pickups, bridge, tailpiece and it sounded great. I just never felt like it made it to my top shelf for gigs. Finally, returned it to stock last year, and sold it.

budg

Reaction score
Is it worth asking what kind of strap you used for the LPs that hurt your back? When I got my 99 R7 back around 2010, I was excited to play it at my next gig. By the third set, I thought my damn shoulder was going to fall off my body. It was excruciating. I was just using a standard nylon mesh strap. I quickly found a padded 3 1/2" wide Levy strap and have never had the slightest discomfort since. My R7 weighs in just under 9 1/2 lbs.

Btw, I had a 2013 50s Tribute. Was a nice little guitar. I changed the wiring, pickups, bridge, tailpiece and it sounded great. I just never felt like it made it to my top shelf for gigs. Finally, returned it to stock last year, and sold it.
I use a Franklin 3 inch strap with suede backing for most of my guitars. I have since started using a 3 inch padded strap that works better. My last LP Classic was 12 lbs, but if I think if I stay at 9 or under lbs , I’ll be ok. All my guitars right now are around 8 except my SG which is about 6.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be ashamed about "bonding". Some people get it, others never will. My number 1 stopped me at 20 paces. Tin Pan Alley 2001. I was with my wife looking at nothing in particular. She dragged me into the shop and insisted I buy it.

She's a keeper. So is the wife.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the way this has drifted off tributes and more to bonding. To me it’s real. I’ve let some go that were far better pieces than some I have bonded with. I don’t justify it or explain it. It just is. If it calls you, take the call. If it doesn’t, let em leave a message.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
If I pick up a guitar, and say to myself, "I could love this..." I put it down and walk away. That word "could" generally means, "ain't ever going to happen".
If you aren't feeling it, then you aren't feeling it Sell it, and find something out there that you bond with.

mr. rj

Reaction score
I've had the same problem with my 2020 tribute. Theres nothing wrong with it, the only thing that I don't like is the size of the neck. Its much larger than my other gibby's, I recently put a SD JB in the bridge and I now like it more. It been on buy and sell 3 times, the first 2 times, I removed the ad within 10 mins because I changed my mind. But on the third post someone in my household saw the post and suggested I keep it. So in the end, I'm keeping it. Its a good guitar, but I have the higher models and if anyone of them were to go, the obvious choice is the tribute first....lol

budg

Reaction score
I honestly think 300 k tone pots are a big contributor for the muddiness. Not really sure why they didn’t go with 500k at the factory.

Latest Threads