Not a black plastic truss rod plug after all??!!?!?

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Some of you probably saw the thread I started not too long ago about the fender modern player tele plus I got. You may also know that the reason I stay away from fenders player series/random guitars they produce is because of the ugly plastic truss rod plug they use. Like I said in those posts, say if I bought a Hendrix strat, I’m pretty much paying a grand just to stare at plastic on the headstock. Being that I got this tele as a gift I didn’t complain about it. Like I said, the only reason I didn’t know it wasn’t a high end USA model (I also am not as familiar with fender) is because of the black plastic. But today I looked again…

21A0AFFF-6651-4B78-BB18-BB8B9CA4B681.jpeg

13B51826-18A2-4F20-B69A-3679125F1925.jpeg

CB6637B7-A86B-40A0-9E10-483A2CF36A43.jpeg
85C7AB36-1B0C-402A-8EF8-BE545A578528.jpeg

3D5B365F-D2EC-467A-935E-B65B5E382412.jpeg

At first I thought, “man I’m just seeing things.” Figured it was probably just finish imperfections, or probably tooling marks from when the plastic sleeve/plug was installed and sanded to match headstock slope. Then I remembered that the skunk stripe was unusually dark
319DC176-0747-4E35-BDFD-FF87DEFC36C3.jpg

At first I thought ok so the stripe is plastic too.
57FD098E-48A9-4668-9900-45E56BCCFCBE.jpeg

Hell no. This ol son’s some sort of rosewood. I also looked at the truss plug again. The size didn’t line up with most plastic sleeves.
5BC13FB1-8477-4DCA-BC68-FF1A62011D5D.jpeg

this is way thicker than what plastic sleeves usually are and not as many plastic crumbs/cuts that are usually in plastic truss sleeves.
I also thought that fender usually matches skunk stripe and truss sleeve wood.
My conclusion?
This isn’t no dark custom shop ebony but last time I checked, plastic doesn’t have red hued grain. Most likely not real rosewood for a 500$ guitar but it’s definitely something. At least it looks good and I can finally sleep at night knowing I don’t have a fake wife.

tzd

Reaction score
The Mexican Fenders use the black plastic truss rod plug.

Your Modern Player Plus is probably made in China if I'm not wrong.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
Some of you probably saw the thread I started not too long ago about the fender modern player tele plus I got. You may also know that the reason I stay away from fenders player series/random guitars they produce is because of the ugly plastic truss rod plug they use. Like I said in those posts, say if I bought a Hendrix strat, I’m pretty much paying a grand just to stare at plastic on the headstock. Being that I got this tele as a gift I didn’t complain about it. Like I said, the only reason I didn’t know it wasn’t a high end USA model (I also am not as familiar with fender) is because of the black plastic. But today I looked again…

View attachment 562762
View attachment 562763
View attachment 562764 View attachment 562765
View attachment 562766
At first I thought, “man I’m just seeing things.” Figured it was probably just finish imperfections, or probably tooling marks from when the plastic sleeve/plug was installed and sanded to match headstock slope. Then I remembered that the skunk stripe was unusually dark
View attachment 562767
At first I thought ok so the stripe is plastic too. View attachment 562768
Hell no. This ol son’s some sort of rosewood. I also looked at the truss plug again. The size didn’t line up with most plastic sleeves. View attachment 562769
this is way thicker than what plastic sleeves usually are and not as many plastic crumbs/cuts that are usually in plastic truss sleeves.
I also thought that fender usually matches skunk stripe and truss sleeve wood.
My conclusion?
This isn’t no dark custom shop ebony but last time I checked, plastic doesn’t have red hued grain. Most likely not real rosewood for a 500$ guitar but it’s definitely something. At least it looks good and I can finally sleep at night knowing I don’t have a fake wife.
You can't honestly tell me that you sit there and "stare at your headstock". For what exactly? To find things to bitch and boohoo about? I rarely, if ever, look at my headstocks. Sure as heck not enough to complain that, black plastic is ugly because I stare at my headstocks. Lmao. That's just ridiculous, imo.

It reminds me of headstock snobs that think the only thing that looks good on a guitar is 'an open book headstock' and they will say every single cut guitar they see should have one. Who cares that much? I don't sit there and stare at my headstock while I play so I personally care little what mine looks like. As long as the guitar plays well, who gives a shniz? I barely look at them while they hang on the wall, as well. Surely not enough to complain about 1/2 inch² of black plastic that can EASILY be replaced with a walnut plug from Fender.

Edit: and you thiught the stripe was plastic? Lol. It's walnut like it's been forever. That takes mere seconds to find online. Literally 10 seconds.

Last edited:

Davey Rock

Reaction score
You can't honestly tell me that you sit there and "stare at your headstock". For what exactly? To find things to bitch and boohoo about? I rarely, if ever, look at my headstocks. Sure as heck not enough to complain that, black plastic is ugly because I stare at my headstocks. Lmao. That's just ridiculous, imo.

It reminds me of headstock snobs that think the only thing that looks good on a guitar is 'an open book headstock' and they will say every single cut guitar they see should have one. Who cares that much? I don't sit there and stare at my headstock while I play so I personally care little what mine looks like. As long as the guitar plays well, who gives a shniz? I barely look at them while they hang on the wall, as well. Surely not enough to complain about 1/2 inch² of black plastic that can EASILY be replaced with a walnut plug from Fender.

Edit: and you thiught the stripe was plastic? Lol. It's walnut like it's been forever. That takes mere seconds to find online. Literally 10 seconds.

Yes I’m well aware of the history of a skunk stripe.
I was never convinced that the stripe was plastic.
I was simply thinking it was because without direct light against the finish it is pretty much straight black especially under the amber tint.
Im am well aware that the standard use of walnut as a skunk stripe and plug are usually used on one piece fender branded necks.
Considering this guitar was produced in China, I was simply in disbelief that wood was used instead of plastic especially when Mexican fender uses it vastly when China is considered cheaper.
I DID in fact state that I am not very experienced with fender guitars. Long time lover, first time holder.
Just because walnut has been a fender standard does not mean alternatives can’t be used in cheaper models, especially a 500$ Chinese model so I didn’t know what it could’ve been. All I know is that Mexican fenders did plastics to accommodate for the difference truss rod adjustment size, so I figured China was even MORE than capable of doing so, even more so considering I found this out myself instead of do extensive research.
And yes I deeply apologize for hurting your feelings. I merely was expressing my excitement for a preference I had in a guitar. Again, I apologize that I prefer not to spend hundreds of dollars more just to get a walnut plug as apprised to plastic.
Although I am very experienced and happy to completely modify a guitar from its original state, I do not consider it worth while to remove finish, especially beautiful amber over maple like this one just to change out a plug, then turn around and have to mix and mix and mix pigment just to match the rest of the neck. Not to mention using the specific clear that was used in production. This is polyester. I am only experienced with polyurethane and brush, hand rub, and spray gun. Nitro I have a basic understanding of how it works but do not have a preference or desire to use this over poly. I prefer to either hand rub, or spray very thin poly layers upon layers, then hand buffing and sanding which will give an antiqued look instead of the ugly plastic dipped look that Gibson uses for epiphones which gives poly it’s bad name.
although it is very easy to search something, I really do have a link for looking my guitars up and down in and out. If I can’t figure out something from basic common sense, then research will become a follow up.
And finally, I am used to very visibly grainy walnut stripes like this…

57E7EB1E-6FB8-4333-8CE9-98AA08BEFDBD.jpeg

F47FA445-2F1E-49BE-BAE2-82616385CE3B.jpeg
F448A73D-C237-4C3D-89A4-CF770A12361A.jpg

Not this…
EDF47BE5-D1D3-41B7-8333-DB83DEB680CE.jpeg

2C21CAEE-5A1D-4B72-A021-E5088A75D72C.jpg

1307BE7D-8614-4596-87F8-B24097E9C0A0.jpg

So yes, for the following, I deeply regret any amount of pain or suffering that I may have caused you or your family. I knew I wasn’t experienced much with the fender brand, so responsibly, I should not have handled such a piece willingly, knowing that I could’ve hurt someone in the process. This is something I must live with for the rest of my life. There is nothing worse than knowing that i as a person am responsible for so much damage. I can never forgive myself. I hate myself for it. Really I do. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me. I hope you find peace. I hope you find freedom. I also have one final picture for you…
662E6297-AF3F-4B53-B7D7-ACDD75B2B38E.jpeg

fucking idiot

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The Mexican Fenders use the black plastic truss rod plug.

Your Modern Player Plus is probably made in China if I'm not wrong.
Yes it is. This was my reason for confusion. If Mexican fender uses plastic plug for the difference size truss rod, I wouldn’t have expected China to technically be a little closer to home.

Davey Rock

Reaction score

And yes, I do happen to be picky when it comes to aesthetic. Do I consider it an upgrade? No. Do I have a preference for it? Yes.
I I don’t absolutely love a guitar all over, I won’t even consider playing it. What’s the point in getting a guitar I don’t find absolutely stunning? The way I see it, find a personally attractive guitar, play it, buy it if all your boxes have been checked. Period. I don’t care how great a guitar is. If I don’t love looking at it, much less despise doing so, I’ll hate the fact that I own it.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plastic bushing on the MiM models is very thin... it is just a tube that is slipped in and trimmed flush with the surface.

US production uses walnut for the truss rod bushing, skunk stripe, and the teardrop on necks with a heel adjust.
The color of the walnut can vary from very light to very dark.

Some of the more recent Squier imports have been showing up with something that looks more like the US design. I don't know what kind of wood it is... certainly not rosewood or ebony... it could be that the walnut available locally may be a darker variety.
This is a fairly recent thing... only in the last couple of years, and seems to be common to the entire line from CV down to the Bullet models:

Squier.jpg

Davey Rock

Reaction score
The plastic bushing on the MiM models is very thin... it is just a tube that is slipped in and trimmed flush with the surface.

US production uses walnut for the truss rod bushing, skunk stripe, and the teardrop on necks with a heel adjust.
The color of the walnut can vary from very light to very dark.

Some of the more recent Squier imports have been showing up with something that looks more like the US design. I don't know what kind of wood it is... certainly not rosewood or ebony... it could be that the walnut available locally may be a darker variety.
This is a fairly recent thing... only in the last couple of years, and seems to be common to the entire line from CV down to the Bullet models:

View attachment 562810
Yes this is what threw me for a loop. If it wasn’t for the tooth fairy up there, I wouldn’t have know China used walnut over plastic sleeves in Mexico. In my experience, walnut is usually a very vivid brown coloration like you’d see in a cartoon and rosewood is very velvety all the way down to bright pau ferro and sometimes dark brown with very black grain. This is the case I thought I had. My skunk didn’t look like usual walnut I’m used to especially with the truss plug having the shape and diameter of the rounded tear US model, but the color of a plastic sleeve.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why they changed the Squier line, I don't know
The US model uses a Bi-Flex truss rod on the headstock-adjust models (not on the heel adjust).
If you need to reverse the tension on the truss rod, you loosen the nut, and it presses against the back of the walnut plug (and a barrel that is embedded in the middle of the neck).
The US plus is a solid walnut dowel, glued into the neck, and shaped to match.

plug.jpg

MiM do not have a 2-way truss rod... the bushing is purely decorative to make the neck look like an upgrade from the Squier line, and other Asian imports that are typically plain.

Interestingly, Fullerton G&Ls have always been plain.

I don't know if Squier uses 2-way adjustable truss rods... they may. Epiphone and some others do. These more common truss rods do not require an anchor at the headstock end, so the adjusting openings normally don't have any kind of bushing.

It's possible that Fender is attempting to distance themselves from Glarry, Indio, and Harley Benton by adding a small detail to the Squier, which will make them more difficult to fake, but at the same time, be apparent on close examination that is is not a US neck and help keep them from being used to fake US models.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Why they changed the Squier line, I don't know
The US model uses a Bi-Flex truss rod on the headstock-adjust models (not on the heel adjust).
If you need to reverse the tension on the truss rod, you loosen the nut, and it presses against the back of the walnut plug (and a barrel that is embedded in the middle of the neck).
The US plus is a solid walnut dowel, glued into the neck, and shaped to match.

View attachment 562812

MiM do not have a 2-way truss rod... the bushing is purely decorative to make the neck look like an upgrade from the Squier line, and other Asian imports that are typically plain.

Interestingly, Fullerton G&Ls have always been plain.

I don't know if Squier uses 2-way adjustable truss rods... they may. Epiphone and some others do. These more common truss rods do not require an anchor at the headstock end, so the adjusting openings normally don't have any kind of bushing.

It's possible that Fender is attempting to distance themselves from Glarry, Indio, and Harley Benton by adding a small detail to the Squier, which will make them more difficult to fake, but at the same time, be apparent on close examination that is is not a US neck and help keep them from being used to fake US models.
Sounds awesome man. I really do appreciate all the great info as always. I’d never expect anything less from good ‘n reliable CB!

Davey Rock

Reaction score
fascinating discussion!
Yea. I can’t stand snobs but yet I act like one completely. Still get killed by the little things. Plastic sleeves, three screw epi truss rod covers, diamond inlays on epi customs being too small, maple neck isn’t tinted and reminds me of a cheap guitar, Floyd rose on a bolt neck although I plan I piecing on together, noiseless pickups although I can swap them easily etc. just picky.

Latest Threads