Normal truss rod cavity?

vagabond09

Reaction score
1572279076614.jpg

My friend's 2005 Gibson Les Paul standard. He asked me to check the truss rod, but I'm not too sure as to what this is.
Is this normal? The screw hole seems to be too close to the cavity, and I've never seen a truss rod cavity with a small piece of right in front of the truss rod. Is this normal? Or was there work done on this? My friend did buy this used. Anyways, any wisdom would be appreciated. THANKS!

Rick

Reaction score
Has it had a headstock repair?

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
that thing is cranked pretty far down and appears (not a great pic) to have a shim behind it....which means it is really, really cranked, if so.

now, there's a reason for that, I promise you.........

Last edited:

vagabond09

Reaction score
that thing if cranked pretty far down and appears (not a great pic) to have a shim behind it....which means it is really, really cranked, if so.

now, there's a reason for that, I promise you.........
Mind if I ask what the reason is what are cons for it?? :/

Rick

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a shim to me - at all. Maybe somebody glued that there to keep the screw from tearing out the wood? Notice how close the screw hole is to the cavity.

Or, looking again.. The headstock veneer doesn't look right. Check out the left side of the pic. It looks out of alignment. Has the veneer been replaced? I really think this guitar was broken and professionally repaired. Take a black light to it.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
FWIW Looks to me like a screw hole repair..

Maybe even from the factory. It looks like a thin strip of wood was glued in under the veneer where the screw hole is drilled. They may have missed and rather than scrap the neck, they routed, chisled or whatever a small notch and glued that strip there for the screw to bite.

The glue under it and against the nut says its been there a while and the nut has not been turned recently.

And the shim isn't under the nut, its on top of it. Looks to be held from under the veneer..

The metal washer under the nut is visible.

I enhanced it here...
truss rod.jpg

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That nut looks too far away from where it should seat........ that to me that means there is a stack of washers behind that nut or what looks like a shim or piece of wood as Darrell described hiding it........... but it seems clear to me that rod itself is sticking too far out....... these rods are all the same length from the factory...... meaning the neck shrunk (which I seriously doubt) or the rod has been pulled through the other end of the neck at the neck joint.

That's just my observation from that pic. Without actually removing the nut i could not give a better explanation.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
That nut looks too far away from where it should seat........ that to me that means there is a stack of washers behind that nut or what looks like a shim or piece of wood as Darrell described hiding it........... but it seems clear to me that rod itself is sticking too far out....... these rods are all the same length from the factory...... meaning the neck shrunk (which I seriously doubt) or the rod has been pulled through the other end of the neck at the neck joint.

That's just my observation from that pic. Without actually removing the nut i could not give a better explanation.
Are there washers stacked under that nut, OP?

MAybe another shot from the side with lots of light.

vagabond09

Reaction score
FWIW Looks to me like a screw hole repair..

Maybe even from the factory. It looks like a thin strip of wood was glued in under the veneer where the screw hole is drilled. They may have missed and rather than scrap the neck, they routed, chisled or whatever a small notch and glued that strip there for the screw to bite.

The glue under it and against the nut says its been there a while and the nut has not been turned recently.

And the shim isn't under the nut, its on top of it. Looks to be held from under the veneer..

The metal washer under the nut is visible.

I enhanced it here...
That's an interesting find Darrell. I've never noticed that. It does look like the shim is beside the neneer and also the chunk of glue or whatever that residue is looks to have been for awhile. The veneer doesn't seem to have been replaced or anything. The guitar is a good shape as I've mentioned.

vagabond09

Reaction score

I'm trying to compare it with my 2004 Gibson les paul by picture since it isn't too far off from 2005. Do you mean that the truss rod is deeper inside? Or is out more than it should be?

vagabond09

Reaction score
Are there washers stacked under that nut, OP?

MAybe another shot from the side with lots of light.
No problem. I appreciate the help including everyone here. A lot of insights. :) I'll try and ask my friend for the those pics :)

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
I'm trying to compare it with my 2004 Gibson les paul by picture since it isn't too far off from 2005. Do you mean that the truss rod is deeper inside? Or is out more than it should be?
My 2018 studio deluxe for example. The threads do not even come out the top of the nut, and the crescent washer behind the nut is clearly visible.
20190302_105416a.jpg

In yours the crescent washer is not easily seen. It could be sunk into the wood of the neck.

The nut itself appears to be against a washer or something and the back of the nut doesn't look to be touching the crescent washer directly, as it should. Like mine.

And the threads are full up into the nut.

The wood may have shrunk - quite a bit.... under the crescent washer

The truss rod itself is pulling in at the body end

That's why I'd like to know if there are any spacers behind the nut.

If there are, something wrong enough is going on that they ran out of adjusting room on the TR nut and put washers behind it to get more turns on it.

Last edited:

vagabond09

Reaction score
My 2018 studio deluxe for example. The threads do not even come out the top of the nut, and the crescent washer behind the nut is clearly visible.

In yours the crescent washer is not easily seen. It could be sunk into the wood of the neck.

The nut itself appears to be against a washer or something and the back of the nut doesn't look to be touching the crescent washer directly, as it should. Like mine.

And the threads are full up into the nut.

The wood may have shrunk - quite a bit.... under the crescent washer

The truss rod itself is pulling in at the body end

That's why I'd like to know if there are any spacers behind the nut.

If there are, something wrong enough is going on that they ran out of adjusting room on the TR nut and put washers behind it to get more turns on it.
As far as Know, there is nothing wrong with threads of the truss rod showing. Adjusting the truss rod, it is bound to end up showing I guess. Here are pictures of my Gibson LP standard 2004's truss rod, and my other friend's LP standard from 2006 I believe. :) Also my friend's 59 has some threads showing too.

1556293372362.jpg
1572276547551.jpg

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
As far as Know, there is nothing wrong with threads of the truss rod showing. Adjusting the truss rod, it is bound to end up showing I guess. Here are pictures of my Gibson LP standard 2004's truss rod, and my other friend's LP standard from 2006 I believe. :) Also my friend's 59 has some threads showing too.

View attachment 416604 View attachment 416605
You are correct in that threads showing are not an automatic indicator of issues.

A better thing to look for is the position of the crescent washer behind the nut.

It is clearly visible in all of your examples, regardless of the amount of threads showing.

That is the important part.

We cannot confirm from that one pic where the crescent washer is, or if there are spacers added behind the nut, because of that wood strip...

I have seen it posted in here where for whatever reason, the crescent washer starts to sink into the neck wood.

I think it was on an Explorer, and the guy had to return it.

It is very rare AFAIK, but it can happen. That's all we are trying to find out for ya!

There may be nothing wrong with it at all.... the jury is still out awaiting further evidence! :laugh2:

Latest Threads