Norlin LPC neck profile vs modern day

lats667

Reaction score
So I'm considering buying a new Les Paul Custom to supplement or maybe replace my 77 Les Paul Custom. I am not able to try before buying, so I am wondering if there is a huge difference between them, neck wise? I take it modern customs (20-22) aren't quite 50s baseball bat profile, but not very slim either? What's your experience? I really like the 77 custom neck, although it could be wider at the nut. I did get by on a medium 50s ala 2012 traditional I had, but I prefer my 77. The guitar in question is a 22 silverburst... so partially buying it for the finish ;-)

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A modern late model Custom will have a bit more meat than a '77 Custom. I have both and the later models have more girth from fifth fret to the heel rather than the slim shape a '77 has from the nut to the heel. I would explain it as shoulder. I would compare it to a smaller R9 type neck, but not quite like a R0 V2 neck. I like both myself so i have no problem going between the '77 and my 2011 Custom,..though there is a noticeable difference especially around the first 3 or 4 frets.

lats667

Reaction score
Thanks. Useful input, I can probably live with it and probably enjoy the new profile. It probably varies from guitar to guitar too.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
I am restoring/reviving a 1950s Framus jazzbox with a big fat neck. Absolutely dreadful! I have already sanded it from a D into C and will most likely sand it down into a thinner C.

God I love my slim-neck 81 Custom.

gball

Reaction score
My '79 has a neck that's roughly the same as a modern Slim Taper. It's a tiny bit thinner at the nut and a tiny bit thicher at the heel but in between about the same. With those low, wide frets and ebony fretboard it's definitely the fastest neck I own.

lats667

Reaction score
To be honest, I do have one of those on order as well, with a 30 day return policy. But the Custom will probably arrive first, and does not have this policy, as it will be shipped internationally (not for intl customers). So I have to decide which one to get before it ships. From what I've heard, Gibson has not been too successful in copying a 70s neck on the AJ std, though, so the AJ will be an option if I can't really afford the custom (I probably don't, but I can't help it, I will probably just starve for a while). But if I keep the new custom, I should really let the 77 go :-\

Der_Kaiser

Reaction score
To be honest, I do have one of those on order as well, with a 30 day return policy. But the Custom will probably arrive first, and does not have this policy, as it will be shipped internationally (not for intl customers). So I have to decide which one to get before it ships. From what I've heard, Gibson has not been too successful in copying a 70s neck on the AJ std, though, so the AJ will be an option if I can't really afford the custom (I probably don't, but I can't help it, I will probably just starve for a while). But if I keep the new custom, I should really let the 77 go :-\
In my opinion the neck on my AJ standard has more in common with my 2018 custom than it does with my 81 custom, it’s definitely chunkier than the norlin.

Tollie

Reaction score
I would never in a million years get rid of a ‘77 in exchange for a new one. I would definitely get a new one if I could keep both. There is just something about the older Les Pauls that make them better. I love the 70s low and wide frets. Some people say that the vibrations from playing an instrument for decades makes them sound better, or perhaps the wood back then was from older trees than they are harvesting now? I do not know but there is just something magical about the older guitars.

lats667

Reaction score
My 77 has had the frets replaced, but I can see what you mean. I will probably sell off some other guitars and keep both, if the custom arrives and feels right.

searswashere

Reaction score
The 79 with refret I tried felt like the “59” of studios and current customs. The 76 with nearly no frets left had a slimmer neck than my ‘96 standard with a 59 carve thats on the slim side.

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '79 Custom had a thinner neck at the 1st fret, around .82 to maybe .85 at the most comparing to my current Norlins.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Not sure if I will characterize mine as crazy thin. Its definitely more substantial than say an Ltd ec1000. Its just very nice
Agreed, I have a 76 LPC and the neck feels closer to my standard 60’s profile neck, it’s slim by Gibson standards but def not like an Ibanez super wizard or ec1000. And it gets thicker closer to the body and is thinnest closer to the nut.
In my opinion the neck on my AJ standard has more in common with my 2018 custom than it does with my 81 custom, it’s definitely chunkier than the norlin
I haven’t played the AJ yet but have heard a few people echo this. The AJ standard neck seems to have it’s own profile different from the Norlins.

Latest Threads