Norlin ID / 1976 Gibson serial numbers

spunkyoo8

Reaction score
Lol,
Yea, i was just hoping that they would go up in value like the 58 and the koruna...I know they won't be near that, but just saying there are not too many without broken necks and still original..

keeff

Reaction score
Thanks! Serial number looks fine for a 1976 (non limited edition) explorer.

I note that the serial number ranges in my OP are not meant to be exact, but are approximates. A number of ranges has changed slightly and will be updated at some point in time.

I am not sure though if that will be done on this forum - since it is rather inconvenient that the original post cannot be changed/updated at this time, or in the future. This would necessarily lead to various updates over time in different posts, which I was hoping to avoid.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Thx - I know. Here's again a Deluxe with 'that' decal:

Well speak of the devil..a friend and I were just talking about those tuners being used...here you can see they just ALMOST cover the witness lines from the original Gibson Deluxe Klusons.

Best one for the job if originals can't be had.:thumb:

69 Goldtop

Reaction score
Must of been a popular upgrade.
I remember the double rings on my 75 deluxe would spin backwards
if looked at funny.:laugh2:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
How often do they just say made in the USA with no model designation?

keeff

Reaction score
And one more... LP Pro

How often do they just say made in the USA with no model designation?
You might be tempted to think there's a quite a few of these - but the 26 ´clippers´ I have listed now constitute about 2% of all 1976 Gibsons on that list.

When applied to the approx 40,000 instruments shipped, that would translate to a ballpark figure of 800 guitars with the clipped decal..

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
do you not think it is a stamped version of a 76 decal serial number as we discussed on page 1?

keeff

Reaction score
Then it should have 8 numbers - and I can see only six, like the older Kalamazoo style stamped numbers. But 000236? Does not seem to conform to the ranges at the time.

The one in post #113 conforms to the 8 number style though.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I noticed it was short but did not know if it was the thick paint and light etc. etc......after all, from the pics, we are just assuming it is 00 at the beginning, because you can only see the partial curve on the zeros, because of the paint and angle.

I could very well be a 6 digit KM stamp from the time...like you, I think the number scheme makes one think something is up......but I also think that it is too white for a 42 year old instrument.

I think the bass in 113 is a factory serial number stamped in decal format, just like the others we discussed at the beginning of this thread.

Last edited:

Latest Threads