Norlin ID / 1976 Gibson serial numbers

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I would call that a Deluxe with factory humbuckers - quite a few around like these, with 'Standard' on the truss rod covers. I guess that prompted Gibson to reissue the 'actual' Standard later in 1976.
There sure were factory HB Deluxes as well..so it could very well be a HB Deluxe! (We wanna see!!:naughty:)
I had a '74 and that's the one I showed in the above pic.
IF legit, (not routed) the shipping totals show 5 shipped in '76, as the Standard was officially released, and there would be model redundancy, so like you said, makes sense they dropped it. (COULD be a rare one, would love to see the forensics)

One thing I did learn about these (pre '76) factory humbucker LPs is that the "small script" Standards were finished in Tobacco, while the Deluxes were cherry. But, as with anything, I'm sure there are TB Deluxes and Cherry Standards..IF there wasn't any truss rod cover changes to gain more $$ on a sale..

keeff

Reaction score
There sure were factory HB Deluxes as well..so it could very well be a HB Deluxe! (We wanna see!!:naughty:)
I had a '74 and that's the one I showed in the above pic.
IF legit, (not routed) the shipping totals show 5 shipped in '76, as the Standard was officially released, and there would be model redundancy, so like you said, makes sense they dropped it.
Five? I've got eight confirmed original '76 HB Deluxes listed...I guess there may be a few hundred of those made that year.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Five? I've got eight confirmed original '76 HB Deluxes listed...I guess there may be a few hundred of those made that year.
That's just the shipping totals from the Meiniers book..of course history shows that is just not accurate..(has become an inside joke of sorts...:naughty:) but either way, having a humbucker Deluxe would be redundant with having a HB Standard.

As for the one referenced above, it has an earlier SN#, and later pots than mine..so there is NO rhyme nor reason with any of it..

keeff

Reaction score
That's just the shipping totals from the Meiniers book..of course history shows that is just not accurate..

As for the one referenced above, it has an earlier SN#, and later pots than mine..so there is NO rhyme nor reason with any of it..
I tend to agree...but note that the Meiners figures are SHIPPING totals. So it cannot entirely ruled out that they may be (more or less) correct I guess.

Suppose you have a guitar with a 1976 decal and 1977 pots like above - that certainly did not leave the factory in 1976, but most owners would call it a '76 nonetheless.

A few thousand Standards were likely made in late 1976...which does not rule out that only 24 were shipped that year. We'll never know.

As to the pot dates - those have limited value, and only indicate that a guitar could not have been shipped prior to those dates.

frankr442

Reaction score
I've had my guitar since '82 but never knew much about it, or Gibsons in general. I didn't even know (or care) what year it was.
Just starting to learn how much I don't know by lurking as often as I can while at work. I think I have the large script on the TRC, but I'll study a few pics to confirm. It does say "Standard" but it's only a couple of screws so who knows.
I will try to get up the courage to look under the pickup rings. Are they prone to cracking? I'm sure I can hear some of you guys "No they NEVER break! Just take them off!"

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I have pulled the rings on everyone I have ever owned to verify pups etc. etc....I even had one with a stuck screw a few years ago and the guys here coached me through it.

as long as you proceed with some sense, no real issue.

post some pics man, we will help you on that stuff.

keeff

Reaction score
And by the way - what does it take for a thread to be promoted to a sticky?

The data provided in the OP has not been available anywhere before it was first posted here, as opposed to stuff in other sticky threads - even Gibson no longer has this information available. I hope there is enough interest for further installments coming up.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I for one feel that it should, along with some of the stuff I posted as well.:thumb:

reedy

Reaction score
I can play...
We haven't seen one of these in the thread yet but it falls into your expected range. I can also tell you there were only 139 L5-CES guitars produced that year. I can't tell you what the pot codes are as they have the extra cans soldered over top.

reedy

Reaction score
A seconday thought... it was mentioned why Gibson/Norlin went away from the decal system? My thought is from a manufacturing perspective it is probably easier (less skilled labour) to finish over pressed-in number than it is to finish over a waterslide decal. You can't really screw up the pressed-in number but if the decal is damaged or reacted poorly with the finish the finish would have to be stripped (to some extent), a new decal would have to re-applied and then the ledgers updated. That's a lot of time for a damage decal.

spunkyoo8

Reaction score
Hi Keeff<
I have a 1976 EXPLORER and the numbers are higher than those that are in your post...I called gibson and the guy said it was a 1975 at first then i said the guy i bought it from told me it is a 1976 and then he said yea it is a 76....Anyway, my question is do the last 3 digits go above 814?
I hope you or someone out there can tell me ASAP so ill know if i have a real vintage Explorer....It has been refinished as i can still smell the varnish, but it was done really well...Also, how much does that affect the value in 2o years from now?
Thanks,

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Hi Keeff<
I have a 1976 EXPLORER and the numbers are higher than those that are in your post...I called gibson and the guy said it was a 1975 at first then i said the guy i bought it from told me it is a 1976 and then he said yea it is a 76....Anyway, my question is do the last 3 digits go above 814?
I hope you or someone out there can tell me ASAP so ill know if i have a real vintage Explorer....It has been refinished as i can still smell the varnish, but it was done really well...Also, how much does that affect the value in 2o years from now?
Thanks,
A "real Vintage" Explorer? Guy said it's a '76...
Gibson said it's a '75.
Ballpark figure says no.

As for the value in 20 years from now,
how about you tell me how much will a gallon of gas and a pack of gum cost in 20 years and we'll start from there.
:hmm:

:dunno:

keeff

Reaction score
Hi Keeff<
Hi - what is the (entire) serial number, is it stamped in the wood or on a decal, and can you post a photo of the guitar?

Latest Threads