Norlin Carve?

joesatch

Reaction score
Any ideas how to achieve a shallower carve like a Norlin? I'm doing my "Axcess" project and they dont have 59 carves (probably because of the Floyd). Anyhow, i have the 59 Templates, any ideas on how the modify those? The body is 1.5" and the top is 9/16".(a bit thinner than regular)

dickjonesify

Reaction score
I've got no advice for you, man. Just wanted to say :wow::applause::wow: Excellent top choice!! This will look killer :dude:

EDIT:
Well, I'm thinking, the Norlin era was all about cutting costs, so maybe it's less carving - more sanding. Just a bit of a rounder look. I don't know. :hmm:

joesatch

Reaction score
Thanks. I think what ill do is trace out the pattern but only carve T1-T6 and there will be no T7. I'll then use an orbital sander to finish. Well see.

jtmullet

Reaction score
There used to be a carve template that came off of a norlin les paul over on the mimf forum in the free section not sure if its still there though.

DRF

Reaction score
If I'm reading you right,just dont dig/sand as deep around the "deep dish" perimeter. I made a lp with a duplicarver and a Tokai for just this same purpose-the dish is not as deep but it was beautifully geometrically accurate looking on the master.

I find these more gradual tops more comfy to my forearm. They dont look as dramatic but there is something somewhat appreciable about em.

joesatch

Reaction score
Ya, what i did was modify the template a bit and moved some of the contours closer to the edge. Also, i'll use an orbital sander to finish it.

purevilpleasure

Reaction score
There used to be a carve template that came off of a norlin les paul over on the mimf forum in the free section not sure if its still there though.
I was nosing around the MIMF forum and I couldn't find and free section, got a link?

JMV

Reaction score
Real men don't weight relieve their Les Pauls. I thought you knew that by now...

joesatch

Reaction score
Real men don't weight relieve their Les Pauls. I thought you knew that by now...
All gibsons are weight relieved as far as i know. Its chambering that sucks.

JMV

Reaction score
All gibsons are weight relieved as far as i know. Its chambering that sucks.
Historics and some USA reissues are not weight relieved.

And BFGs are chambered, by the way. ;)

JMV

Reaction score
I gotta say, Satch...that looks fantastic!

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Please tell me you're going to continue to update this thread.:shock:

JMV

Reaction score
Wrong. Real men don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. ;)

Great looking top, joesatch.
Of course...

I think you missed some previous context and sarcasm on my part. I was just poking a little fun at the OP based on some of his other, more colorful posts. :)

LC100

Reaction score
Of course...

I think you missed some previous context and sarcasm on my part. I was just poking a little fun at the OP based on some of his other, more colorful posts. :)
And I think you completely missed it on my post. :shrug:

Latest Threads