Norlin a with a factory paf?

el84ster

Reaction score
Anyone know the deal with Gibson putting a few pafs in les Paul’s in the 70s??

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd say it was a special order (or staff guitar) where someone took an old pickup from an original 50's guitar and asked for it to be fitted.
By the 70's there were no PAF's left for production guitars - unless they found 1 hidden in a drawer. Whilst it is unlikely for something to be hanging around that long, 1970 in the changeover to Norlin ownership is more likely a time when cleanouts happen.

That is assuming that 1. its actually a real PAF and not a T-top (or clone) someone has merely put a repro sticker on, and
2. the person saying its original isn't blind - like the person who examined Greeny and said nothing had been disturbed - when there was an obvious gray poly hookup wire in there from the neck pickup.

el84ster

Reaction score
I do now recall reading that some of the early Guitar Trader reissues had pafs I think?

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I do now recall reading that some of the early Guitar Trader reissues had pafs I think?
But they didn't come from Gibson that way. Guitar Trader took the stock pickups out and put in their own stash of PAF's.

The '70s were weird. People took PAF's out of old guitars and "upgraded" them with Dimarzios, Duncans, EMGs. Whenever GT did a swap, they offered to buy the "nasty old crappy" PAF's from the customer. Ended up with a few dozen sets which went into their first batch of pre-Historics.

el84ster

Reaction score
I’m finding it hard to believe this was actually factory in that video.
Any one have any info that Gibson ever put a vintage PAF in a norlin?

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Don't believe it for a minute and he offers zero proof....just BS talk trying to sell a $3000-$3500-guitar for $12.5k

Pat sticker T-Tops.

Last edited:

strayedstrater

Reaction score
While I have no idea if that's actually a factory stock PAF in a '71 guitar, it's not impossible.

Before computer tracked inventory control and MBA's, manufacturing and warehousing was much more haphazard, seat-of-the-pants. If a box of parts got put on the wrong shelf it could sit there for decades.

The '63 Flying V's and Explorers were made from leftover bodies and necks made during the cut-short '58 production run.

When they closed Kalamazoo and auctioned off the factory/warehouse contents, it was a treasure trove of NOS parts.

Here's an ad from a '76 Guitar Player magazine from a dealer that had scooped up some cool stuff from the factory.
20210423_120326.jpg

It seems weird that a '71 would just get one PAF. You'd assume that if someone found a stash of them they'd use the whole stash.

But back then, pretty much no one cared about such stuff. An assembler needed one more, reached to the back of the shelf and snatched one out of a dusty box, and then later that day the pickup dep't brought out a couple of fresh boxes and put them in front of the old dusty box.

Not saying that's what happened in this case, just saying it's not impossible.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
well, the problem there is the KM factory was wide open and running in 1976, it had not been closed yet.....

There are some people here that actually did go down to the auction after it closed and bought some stuff.....much, much, later.

I don't think it is impossible, I think he makes a big claim and offers zero proof......

and then he says that the other pickup is not a PAF, but had a sticker that got scratched off and replaced?

Don't believe it.

A real deal set of Gold PAF's will be worth more than that entire guitar.

True Story.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That guitar isn't worth extra money cuz it may have a real PAF.....there's no way to prove it's factory installed.....that PAF alone (if it's a real PAF) is worth more by itself than it would be in that guitar.

el84ster

Reaction score
That ad is just wild! $135 then is worth $645 today according to a random inflation calc. website.
oh man if only.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I phrased it poorly, but I wasn't saying the Rivers Music NOS stuff came from the auctions. I've heard lots of stories of dealers visiting the factory and buying dusty, overlooked, forgotten stuff.

I mentioned the auctions because they still had some old stuff even much later, and mentioned the Rivers stuff because it supports the idea there were still some PAF's sitting in the factory in the early/mid '70s.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
That ad is just wild! $135 then is worth $645 today according to a random inflation calc. website.
oh man if only.
Like I said, the '70s were weird. Rick Derringer pulled the PAF's from his split headstock '58 Explorer and put in Dimarzios (and added a mini-toggle switch).

Jeff Baxter devoted one of his GP columns to "improving" PAF's. Pull the coils and measure them, and then unwind the hotter coil so they were perfectly balanced. Then wax pot them.

Though to put prices in perspective, here's one of the earliest Dimarzio ads from 1974:
20210423_144328~2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads