Noob intonation question (and concerns)

excesseye

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here having recently taken delivery of a 2014 Standard. I made an NGD post with photos of my guitar a few weeks ago, and a few people have mentioned that, from the position of the bridge saddles, the intonation may be incorrect. I have checked intonation with my tuner after restringing, and it is good, but now I am concerned that this may point to a problem with the guitar.

This is the photo that prompted the comments on intonation. Do you think this is potentially a problem? I guess I am looking for some kind of confirmation; I am still within the return period for the guitar and, although it is the best guitar I have ever owned, I am worried that it may have issues.

111193d1394768790-ngd-14-standard-plus-gibbo.jpg

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers!

Ansen

Reaction score
Intonation, in this case, means to compare the open string note against the fretted note (oktave) at the 12th fret. If the oktave is clean, then you're fine, other wise you can turn the saddlesrews at the bridgeto get there. The saddles are moveable for fine adjusting of each strings lenght.

Usually you will end with a position like this, more or less..

attachment.php

There are some good tutorials arround here, which could helps you to do your own setup.

greetz n'roll

Attachments

• DCBridge.JPG
    DCBridge.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 185

MaceRider

Reaction score
Yeah I can see where the questions are coming from... those bridge saddles are way back there. If it's currently intonated right, you may find that if you ever decide to switch to a different type of strings, you may be unable to intonate the guitar correctly due to the saddles being nearly at the ends of their adjustment range already.

I don't know if this is cause enough to return the thing, that's up to you. Just a thought.

Farquad

Reaction score
If you need to lengthen the string between saddle and nut, and you're out of space on the bridge, you can flip the saddle around and that will give you a little more adjustment room.

excesseye

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to take another look tonight, and check the intonation with a different tuner, before I panic too much!

Sinster

Reaction score
Are you putting normal playing pressure when you are fingering the fret? Are you putting your finger in the same position all the time. Just moving towards the nut or towards the bridge slightly throws off your intonation a little.

You inspect your nut? Measure from the nut to the bridge? 24 3/4 from nut to bridge on Low "E".

geezberry

Reaction score
I always find it more accurate to intonate with fretted notes instead of open strings. Try intonating F first fret to F 13th fret. This takes the nut out of the equation. Nut slots can throw things off and cause the wrong adjustment to be made. Also, use a strobe tuner not a chromatic tuner and use fresh strings.

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
Are you putting normal playing pressure when you are fingering the fret?

This
Pressing too hard will pull the fretted note slightly sharper and you will have to push the saddle back to compensate.

Hold the guitar and fret the note as you do when playing

Farquad

Reaction score
The harmonic should also be the same note as well, so you can use that as a 3rd reference point.

randelli

Reaction score
I always intonate using the 12th harmonic and a tuner with a needle. I guess if I had a strobe tuner I would do it the same way.

excesseye

Reaction score
I took it to the guitar doc this morning and all is good now. He said the intonation was completely off, so I guess my tuner sucks! He also set it up with my preferred brand and gauge of strings and it plays great now, so I'm over the moon!

Cheers for all the input!

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What brand of tuner are you using? is it needle or something else?

excesseye

Reaction score
I was just using a little clip-on D'Addario tuner, and Cleartune on iPad (simulated needle) through an Apogee One interface. I knew the clip-on was not accurate enough, but I thought Cleartune would get close. Oh well, guess I need a new tuner...

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is slightly off-topic and, perhaps, unnecesary since the problem has been solved, but it's also possible for the magnetic pull of the pickups to cause a string to be out of intonation.

When intonating it's always a good idea to lower one's pickups if they're raised very near string height.

Roach0

Reaction score
Have had the same problem. There is nothing wrong with it. It is poorly setup thats all. Straighten the neck to start with. My guess is yours is like a banana. It should be almost totally straight. After that start finding the correct string action by adjusting bridge height. After that intonate and start rocking.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Latest Threads