NON tremolo Maestro tailpiece

El Chiguete

Reaction score
Does anybody make a non tremolo Maestro tailpiece just to add the extra vibrations from the added metal?

El Chiguete

Reaction score

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Crazyparts used to do one a few years ago - so you got the look without the arm. Not sure if they still do or where they were sourced from, but you could give them a shout

altoricky

Reaction score
Thats just a cover for esthetics not something that connects to the strings and bridge... just wondering if someone nada one that would be fixed so not to worry for not returning to the initial pitch when bending.

Why extra vibrations?... why not? :)
You could do what Clapton did on his 'Fool' SG .

Where does the energy come from to create these extra vibrations? If it is from the strings then essentially you are just robbing energy from the strings which means they'll vibrate for less time. Which means less sustain.

moreles

Reaction score
The one plus for a non-functioning Maestro is that it helps balance the guitar lots better. The original design was for a guitar plus trem, so you do get head-heaviness often enough when you fon't have that hunk of metal on there. Normally, I think adding a Maestro just for cosmetics is ridiculous, but it does have the one positive benefit. And, yes, it's not a horrendously ugly Bigsby.

altoricky

Reaction score
The one plus for a non-functioning Maestro is that it helps balance the guitar lots better. The original design was for a guitar plus trem, so you do get head-heaviness often enough when you fon't have that hunk of metal on there. Normally, I think adding a Maestro just for cosmetics is ridiculous, but it does have the one positive benefit. And, yes, it's not a horrendously ugly Bigsby.
They're not all like that. Back in the early 70s I had a '64 SG Standard that I had converted to Stop Bar with no no appreciable change in balance. I had the change done to try and improve tuning stability. It made no difference. Of course at that time I was a real greenhorn and didn't know anything about keeping nut slots clean and putting strings on properly. Ho hum the innocence of youth. I've never liked the look of an SG with a Bigsby.

Latest Threads