Non-Stick Frying Pan

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the best and the longest lasting non-stick frying pan?

No regard to price...

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
What is the best and the longest lasting non-stick frying pan?
Longest-lasting?
Whichever one I can keep my wife from using METAL in.

Every single nonstick pan I’ve bought in 35 years was destroyed by someone using metal utensils.

And I have probably 20 different sized and shaped wooden spoons right next to the stove.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
Longest-lasting?
Whichever one I can keep my wife from using METAL in.

Every single nonstick pan I’ve bought in 35 years was destroyed by someone using metal utensils.

And I have probably 20 different sized and shaped wooden spoons right next to the stove.
Yup... or clean with a scour pad.....

I figure I spend more money on these things more than I do on guitars.... and have 30 plus guitars... there’s gotta be something out there that can handle the abuse.

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can't trust others that may use them to not fuck them up, cast iron is your baby. Only thing that actually ruins them is breaking them in half. If it's still in one piece it's easy to brng them back around.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I were to bet on a "last non-stick pan you'll ever buy" type of longetivity, I'd try the Hexclad.

I haven't yet bought one, but I'm going to. I kind of did an informal study on this.

Instead of watching their own advertising, where naturally they are going to put their best foot forward and showcase their product in the best possible circumstances, I watched these Hexclad pans get abused on the show, year in and year out. Dozens of them. I'm a fan of the show.

They threw everything including the kitchen sink at these pans; overheated, banged-on, scraped, even pan fires that got tossed roughly into the sink-drainboard area.

Still cook non-stick, with the best of them.

After watching all that happen to those pans, I'm a believer.

Leee

Reaction score
That’s the curious thing.
My wife is one helluva cook, and cast iron is her thang.

She doesn’t like nonstick.
The “chemicals” on it are bad, mmmkay?

OK.
Then don’t use metal in it and scratch it off into the food.

Will be looking into Hexclad, Dave.

Leee

Reaction score
A good cast iron, properly maintained is totally non-stick
This has NOT been my experience.

Maybe I’m not smart enough to properly utilize an iron skillet.

I recognize my limitations, and will stay with good quality nonstick with thick, heavy bottoms for heat transfer.
And handles that will remain attached.

PeteK

Reaction score
I actually bought a pan off an infomercial years ago. It was called Orgreenix I think $20 I think. It was the best non stick pan I've ever used. It disappeared at some point when I moved. I wish I still had it. I actually tried what they did on the ad and heated it up and threw a slice of cheese in it and it didn't stick at all

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
If I were to bet on a "last non-stick pan you'll ever buy" type of longetivity, I'd try the Hexclad.

I haven't yet bought one, but I'm going to. I kind of did an informal study on this.

Instead of watching their own advertising, where naturally they are going to put their best foot forward and showcase their product in the best possible circumstances, I watched these Hexclad pans get abused on the show, year in and year out. Dozens of them. I'm a fan of the show.

They threw everything including the kitchen sink at these pans; overheated, banged-on, scraped, even pan fires that got tossed roughly into the sink-drainboard area.

Still cook non-stick, with the best of them.

After watching all that happen to those pans, I'm a believer.
I’m going to get one of those Hexclad pans...and any other quality pan and just do a hands on test .... so far I have bought the Mrs enough of these things to start a smelting plant. It’s not buying these pans a problem,.. it’s throwing them out and hearing about how it fucked up an important meal.... like Thanksgiving.

She will not use cast iron. She will throw a fit if I tell her that’s all that my mom would use..... hahaha...laughing out load to my self here....

Last edited:

Chango Malo

where's that confounded bridge?
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good cast iron is totally non-stick. Seriously.

If it's sticking, your heat is off or it's not properly seasoned. 'Seasoning' is just using heat to polymerize a high-temp oil into the substrate. It's literally baking a non-stick coating into the iron.
It's easy to season cast iron, and easy to take care of. Cooking with cast iron is just a matter of having the iron at the desired temperature before anything hits the pan.
That said, everyone's different and 'I don't feel like spending the time on it' is a perfectly legit reason to pass on cast iron. It's just pots and pans after all.

It's not like the 'NOS tubes or Chinesium tubes for best tonz' debate...

I gotta say I wouldn't have believed the difference my Le Creuset BigAss (tm) skillet makes. Best large skillet I've ever had, and I have prewar Wagner and Griswold stuff in regular rotation. Goddam Frenchies and their snobby ass cookware...

after doing a little googlefu research, if I didn't have all the cast iron and wanted a non-stick pan I would certainly give that hexclad a shot. It's PFOA free (the toxic shit) and oven safe up to 500f. You do have to season it though, which isn't a bad thing in any way. Sounds like it will bear up better than other non-stick pans around metal utensils, too.

Last edited:

WaywerdSon

Reaction score

Maybe I’m not smart enough to properly utilize an iron skillet.

I recognize my limitations, and will stay with good quality nonstick with thick, heavy bottoms for heat transfer.
And handles that will remain attached.
you have to season them, and it takes time. The ones you buy that are "preseasoned" are a decent start, but it takes some work to build up that polymerization. Cook lots of high fat foods, like bacon and ground beef and those sorts of things when they are new, coat it in oil EVERYTIME you use it, occasionally coat it extra heavy and bake it in the oven at 450-500 for an hour or 2. Keep using it. If you use it 2-3 times a week, it can take 6 months to a year for the seasoning to really start to take hold. And you always have to use oil or butter or something when you cook with it it, you cant just crack a egg in it and expect it not to stick. But once that seasoning gets right, its almost no washing needed, wipe the worst of it out, a little water and a scrubbrush or chainmail, dry it completely, reoil and store for next time.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got cast iron cookware that I bought thirty years ago... a couple of skillets... but I also inhereted a dutch oven and a couple other pieces of cast iron cookware that were manufactured in the late 1930's.

The stuff is pretty slick indeed. So slick, in fact, that to clean these pots and pans I just rinse 'em with a little hot water-- no soap unless you want to kill your seasoning-- and then I just wipe it out with a paper towel. Ain't a particle left of what I cooked in there... and if you store your cookware correctly it won't even rust.

--R :thumb:

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Hear me out.......Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel. Basically non stick after some use. No bs. Use mine a lot. $65

Bialetti Atherton? Series. Uses ceramic instead of Teflon. $55

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
Today’s experience on my way to get a new pan

E47B99FC-D1A4-48C8-9D58-9A47AA0AA625.gif

Last edited:

Latest Threads