Non-Quick connect PUPs to quick connect Pots?

mhayden

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently acquired some Epiphone Pro Alnico Classic PUPs that I'd like to install in my 2007 Epi LP Standard. I am new to pickup swaps. My problem is this: The new pickups have 5 bare wires with the green and white already soldered together. The push/pull volume pots have a board and quick connectors. I expected the pickups would come with the 5 pin quick connect attached. Silly me. Having no experience with changing out pickups, I'm wondering if someone can help. I think I have 3 choices.

1. Find a matching 5 pin quick connect online or at a store and some crimps. These might be what I am looking for: 2 Quick Connectors for Epiphone Guitar 4 Conductor Pickup Crimps Solderless | eBay

2. Bypass all quick connects and wire these using a wiring diagram like this: Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 8.43.12 PM.jpg If I go this route, do I still use the quick connect from the 3 way toggle to the pots? Do I have to remove the current quick connectors or cover them with tape?

3. Ignore the new pots and wire it to my current pots and loose the ability to coil tap. My guitar currently has 50s style wiring from Toneman Guitar on Reverb.com. I have to say I like the upgraded 50s style wiring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer to have the ability to coil split. I don't mind soldering as I did it when I upgraded my pots so I just need some direction on how to do this. What connectors I need to buy if any. Basically I'd love someone to pick option 1 or 2 and tell me what to do. I'm a good listener.

Here are the pictures of the wires and pots:
Wires and Pots. You can see the green and white are already soldered together.
IMG_2381.JPG
Here is a closeup of the Pot with quick connect.
IMG_2384.JPG

Attachments

• image.JPG
    image.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 274

DavidRamey

Reaction score
Here is a sticky about wiring diagrams http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/171975-pickup-makers-wiring-diagrams.html
and here is another sticky
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/558-wiring-library.html

If these don't help you, then get a hold of JonseyBlues or Martin Six String Customs. They are vendors here that wire guitars for a living. Maybe somebody will come along and know how to wire what you want to accomplish. Have you considered swapping all the electronics between the 2 guitars?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If you're going to be doing the work of building a harness from parts (which you are in any case) and may even be doing the work of unbuilding a harness from parts, as well...

...why not just replace the harness with decent parts? Spend a few more bucks on great components and you'll not only make your work cleaner and easier but you'll have better stuff that will last longer, feel better, have a more usable range, and most likely sound better to you.

To do it with what you have in the photos:
just ignore the white plastic connectors on the switch's PCBs and solder your pickup leads and jumpers directly to the solder points corresponding to the switch pins that you would use on a typical new push/pull pot. The connection isn't going to be as solid as it would with a wire-to-eyelet connection but it will allow you to use those parts. Removing the PCBs from the switches would be extremely annoying at best.

Latest Threads