Noise!!!!!! with pedals

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
Okay, is it normal to get noise (hum) from having a certain number of pedals in your chain? when i use like 3 pedals there is very little noise. When i link up more than that, the hum is worse. I have tried to check that all of my patch cables aren't the cause. If i were to use batteries would there be less noise? (I am using a powered pedalboard) Is this hum just a fact of life or do people usually use a noise gate? What is a decent noise gate? I was thinking of looking for one on ebay and i don't mind if it's used. I would like to spend under $100. Thanks

Phildog

Reaction score
I think your noise issue has to do with the power supply you're using. My guess would be that it doesn't have isolated outputs. And the magnetic fields combined with the impedance going through your signal chain is multiplying that interference with each pedal added to the chain. That, and the fact that some pedals are somewhat noisy, is just adding to it.

Try a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power or Power ISO. The isolated outputs should rectify your noise issue, as well as providing a good regulated current throughout your signal chain.

Mike's_LP

Reaction score
Is one of these pedals a compressor, or OD/distortion? Comes naturally. Whas, too.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I have 7 pedals in a chain, including Overdrive, Wah and Compressor, all powered by a single 1Spot with no noise whatsoever. Dead silent.

Have you tried powering your board in a different location on a different circuit?
Are you trying this near any other devices that could cause interference? Like fluorescent lights etc.

Have you tried connecting up to each pedal by itself to see if any single one hums at all?
Do you have a ground lift plug anywhere in the electric circuit?
What kind of powered pedal board is it?
Are your power lines daisy chained or each one a single line direct from the power source?

Take a single pedal and try it with every power line, to see if you have a bad power line in the mix causing the noise.
Just a simple process of elimination.

StandingWave

Reaction score
Okay, is it normal to get noise (hum) from having a certain number of pedals in your chain? when i use like 3 pedals there is very little noise. When i link up more than that, the hum is worse. [...] If i were to use batteries would there be less noise? (I am using a powered pedalboard)....
Hum and noise can get multiplied as you add pedals. Some pedals induce more hum or noise than others.

Power supplies also can induce noise. It would be worthwhile to try batteries in the process of elimination. A dirty little secret is that the PP2+ doesn't play well with some pedals and can cause hum, even with each of the pedals on an isolated output.

brokenarrow5

Reaction score
should be no hum-- most likely a power supply issue-- or a cable in the chain

Latest Threads