Noise gate, Compressor or Sonic Stomp?

Which pedal for Garage Rock?!

• Compressor - Boss CS3 or EHX Soul Preacher.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Noise Gate - Cut that hum so I can really crank the Big Muff.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Sonic Stomp - ...

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

PurpleFlanger

Reaction score
For some really loud distorted garage rock with some bluesy leads?

Hmm decisons eh :)

ehamady6

Reaction score
1. I'd stay away from the CS-3 Compressor unless you plan to mod it because it's almost useless in its stock form. I did the Monte Allums mod to mine and it's a great pedal now. I use it playing extreme metal so it should work for tame distorted garage rock, but imo it's not integral to heavy tone.

2. If distorted garage rock includes AC/DC then a noise gate is critical. There must must be absolute silence between the chords in Highway to Hell.

3. I voted for the Sonic Stomp as it is one of my all-time favorites. It's like taking a blanket off of your amp which brings out articulation and dynamics.

Couldn'tStandTheWeather

Reaction score
I wanted to vote for both the Sonic Stomp (love it) and a gate.

If you're doing heavy stuff, a gate is mandatory in my opinion, and that's why I voted for it.

I have both a Sonic Stomp and an ISP Decimator.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I use a noise gate and would recommend it to any player.
I've also been taught the value of a compressor in recordings.

By your description you need an OD & distortion.
Ice 9 and Satchurator.

PurpleFlanger

Reaction score
Overdrive and distortion?
I can get al three using the Big Muff with a volume knob...

Hamtone

Reaction score
To get those bluesy sort of leads compressor
then gate
then bbe

I couldnt use the bbe on my rig because it bogged it down made it muddy. Worked great with my fender rig, didnt like the hiwatt at all.

PurpleFlanger

Reaction score
Since this thread was born, I tried out a load of compressors and none of them really got it for me. They didn't react very well to the Big Muff and I've found you can get a very nice mellow sound just using the Gretsch neck pickup instead of a Compressor (Compressor works amazing for my Ibanez).

I'm gonna go and look at some noisegates and see which I like, and whether they're worthy or not to replace the Sonic Maximiser.

JakeM

Reaction score
The thing I see with all those pedals is that they will work great live, improve your dynamics and maybe help cover up some small blunders or errors but I wouldn't be keen on keeping them on all the time. I voted for the BBE sonic stomp based on it's widespread use and great reviews. It really can bring new definition to your amp and I see one in my future for sure

jake

Hamtone

Reaction score
I personally have never been able to buy a compressor off tje rack thats worth a crap. Keely, demeter, wampler. Im sure there is some others but im only familiar with these and the muff. I have a byoc large beave and its right next to my comp and sounds great.

android13

Reaction score
They all do different things, it's a bit hard to tell…
What do you want it to do?

PurpleFlanger

Reaction score
I want to improve the existing sound. I don't know how. I want 'more'. I don't know how to describe it. I like the way a boost gives you 'more' than your existing sound. Like that. I can't describe it. A boost might be needed idk :S

Couldn'tStandTheWeather

Reaction score
I want to improve the existing sound. I don't know how. I want 'more'. I don't know how to describe it. I like the way a boost gives you 'more' than your existing sound. Like that. I can't describe it. A boost might be needed idk :S

Have you considered an EQ? It will improve on your current sound, and they give a nice boost too. It'll definitely give you "more" of what you already have.

PurpleFlanger

Reaction score
I've started listening to Radiohead again, especially King Of Limbs. I really like that atmospheric stuff. So split between a the poll options, boost, eq and something that gives that 'haunting' quality.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Sonic Stomp made an instant improvement to my overall sound. It made everything sound less muffled and clearer. I play really distorted metal pretty often, and so a gate is a must. I use an ISP Decimator, and it's the best gate I've ever used.

PurpleFlanger

Reaction score
Yeah the Sonic Stomp is helpful. With the Big Muff it does go a bit farty, because the Big Muff has so much low end anyway. A compressor just does not work with the Big Muff, because it is so naturaly compressed. A booster would work to make it sound more fuzzy (Jack White springs to mind for solos). An EQ would work but the dumped mids are what make it so individualistic for a duo and so useable in a twin guitar format. A noise gate would work because any rig can get loud that doesn't have a noise gate and with so much gain, flanger and self oscillating delay around it would be tidy. F* sake!

Latest Threads