NOGD: The Mistress

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Yay! Happy New Old Guitar Day.

Well after more hours than I would like to admit I finally "finished" rebuilding my first guitar. Thank you to those of you who gave some advice on my original thread and special thanks to pew222 for providing me with a free MIM Strat neck.

I have named her "the Mistress" since she is kinda cheap and I only have her do the few things my main guitar Joanie won't. I don't treat her the best but she kinda likes it that way.

Mods:
MIM Strat Neck
Locking GFS tuners
GFS Roller trees
Tusq XL Nut
GFS Big Brass Block and Bridge
LUXE 1956-58 .1 Phonebook cap

Here are some photos:

The finished product:

Overall I am pretty satisfied though I am still tweaking it. The nut took quiet a while to get down to the right size but all in all I was happy to give this guitar a second chance on life. Also, I dont know that I will keep the cap I bought. It does seem to add some twang to it but by the time I get to the 12 fret its a little overboard. Serves me right for spending that kinda money on a cap.

On a side note....any advice on how to get out a stripped screw?

SexyGibson

Reaction score
Congrats brother, I bet she sounds great ! You really want to take it all the way ? How about a re-finish on her ?

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Going to restring tomorrow but having some issues

1) Open chords dont sound good/right....my guess is the nut maybe high which is causing things to be off. Less noticeable as I move up the fretboard.

2) Having second thoughts about the cap but will wait to see once the tuning is corrected otherwise I may go back towards the original value.

Cyclave

Reaction score
If you own a dremel: The best way to get out a stripped screw is to use a dremel with a thin metal cutting wheel. Just cut into the head of the screw and remove with a flathead screwdriver.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
If you own a dremel: The best way to get out a stripped screw is to use a dremel with a thin metal cutting wheel. Just cut into the head of the screw and remove with a flathead screwdriver.
so turn the head into a single slot right? I could probably use a file as well.

Cyclave

Reaction score
Yes, you can. It's actually better as you don't risk slipping, hitting any adjacent things, AND doing a lot of damage. I'd tape it up REALLY WELL, and take a thin file to it.

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
Nice guitar

for stripped screw. If its not too thick or long, you could pull it out with pliers. If that doesnt work, take a drill with a drill bit of the same size as the screw and just drill the screw out. works wonders doing that. Just drill straight.

Machine Man

Reaction score
OP,

If you are still dealing with that stripped screw, since the screw isn't really torqued down, you should be able remove it with some pliers or vise grips. Just be very careful.

pfox14

Reaction score
I kinda liked better with the white PG. Still, a very nice looking Strat, Congrats

Latest Threads