NOGD 1959 Double Cut Special TV Yellow

modavis99

Reaction score
so I have two quick questions for the experts:

1. Do I need to worry about the tuners breaking? If so, can anyone recommend no-drill, replacement tuners that are visually identical, use the exact same screw holes and also lightweight. Lightweight is important as the guitar almost has neck-dive.

2. Can someone recommend a replacement drop-right-in bridge? I don't need a new bridge but if there is something out there with grooves for the strings and that intonates better (although I tend not to notice these things), that would be cool.

thanks in advance

loafing_archer

Reaction score
Those Kluson 3 on a plate LP Jr style tuners should drop right in. I had them on my ES-140 (same tuners as LP Jr), works fine.

For bridges, most people will go with Mojoaxe, but Faber should work well too.

none2low

Reaction score
Here's a reverb link for the modern Kluson replacements. They'll drop right in without modification.

I'd second the Mojoaxe bridge if you want something with compensation.

If compensation isn't a concern, then the Kluson lightweight wraparound is a good alternative.

Kluson part# KWRAPAL-N

modavis99

Reaction score
Here's a reverb link for the modern Kluson replacements. They'll drop right in without modification.

I'd second the Mojoaxe bridge if you want something with compensation.

If compensation isn't a concern, then the Kluson lightweight wraparound is a good alternative.

Kluson part# KWRAPAL-N
Thank you !

modavis99

Reaction score
Last question - two pots did not clean up on their own. Can someone recommend a contact cleaner?

kewl kat

Reaction score
Like riding in a time machine looking at one of those.
Brings back memories to me! Congrats on your find!!

stilwel

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks like a great player!

I also have a’59 Special that was handed down from my grandfather.
The only thing I’ve changed is I installed a MojoAxe compensated wraptail bridge to help with intonation. I run 10 guage strings on mine. Luckily my tuners are still in amazing condition.

6FCDA850-36EE-4553-901A-0D6263B9B856.jpeg
DD799F07-9634-4A84-B0E8-FA63E812C126.jpeg

dasherf17

Reaction score
My first vintage piece. I’m a player, not a collector, but my friend has a stake in a vintage dealership and they had an event near me. I knew they were bringing this guitar and I was curious. I brought my amp, plugged it in and ... well, that was it. This particular old guitar sounds fantastic. I like the fact it has a heel repair. It means I can play the guitar and not worry I will be the first to break it.

I think everything is all original including the frets. The frets are low but I’m getting used to them. The neck reads 8.2, the bridge reads 8.6, the Max reading on bridge vol pot is 172 and max reading on neck vol pot is 164. Weight is 7.5 pounds.

Is there anything anyone can tell me about this guitar or model? How many did they make in 59? I’m more curious than anything else

Also the neck volume and tone pots are scratchy in a few spots on the knobs. Is there a recommended thing that people do on vintage pieces to get rid of the scratchy/ness

I’ve attached some pics I hope that’s ok

View attachment 532308 View attachment 532309 View attachment 532310 View attachment 532311 View attachment 532312 View attachment 532313 View attachment 532314 View attachment 532315 View attachment 532316 View attachment 532317
Sweet looking guitar!
I do miss my '59 Special...

jwinger

Reaction score
On the pots I would use deoxit and see if that cleans it up. If not, you can pry open the tabs on the pot, and go over the whole track with isopropyl alcohol on q-tip until it's completely clean. Works complete wonders but you need to approach with some delicacy. It can be done in the guitar without breaking soldering joints (if they are original) but even more fiddly. So if the solder joints aren't original much easier outside the guitar

jwinger

Reaction score
so I have two quick questions for the experts:

1. Do I need to worry about the tuners breaking? If so, can anyone recommend no-drill, replacement tuners that are visually identical, use the exact same screw holes and also lightweight. Lightweight is important as the guitar almost has neck-dive.

2. Can someone recommend a replacement drop-right-in bridge? I don't need a new bridge but if there is something out there with grooves for the strings and that intonates better (although I tend not to notice these things), that would be cool.

thanks in advance
On the bridge mojoaxe. It's perfect. I use it on a vintage piece instead of the original which I keep in the case

bzrkrage

Reaction score
Shnike's! Magic. When do we get some sound clips?

T Willis

Reaction score
Excellent find! I have the same exact guitar - early 1959 Limed Special.

As far as tuners go... I would call Kim at Historic Makeovers. He can get you taken care. I had him source and age some for my '66 ES330. They look perfect.

speyfly

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the TVY DC Special club though mine's not a vintage like yours.

Latest Threads