NOGD 1956 Gibson ES-225T

questionman

Reaction score
Shes here!

Ill do a more in depth commentary in a day or so after I have spent some more time with this one

For those who didnt see my thread last week, I had a 1979 Strat listed for sale. Great looking, playing and sounding guitar but I had a hand injury - pulled something in my pinky - and that neck set off the pain like you wouldnt believe. Had it listed for quite a long time, some interest but nothing serious. A few days back I was approached with a trade offer, 1956 225T for my Strat. Not my kind of a guitar, but after checking some overwhelming opinions of "do it!" I decided hey, this is a piece of history, dont pass it up you will regret it

So here it is. For being 63 years old...not in bad shape. Finish checking across the whole body and back of the headstock, theres a small break on the corner of the headstock that was repaired, some belt rash on the back. I have been told its all original minus the tuner buttons...more on tuners later

Color is still excellent, very little if no fading. Nice light weight...I am not sure I dont have a scale here but I would venture its sub 7lbs

The neck is by far the most comfortable I have played. Ever. I want this neck on a LP. Its big, its fat, its a perfect rounded shape. Frets are original and very small at that, its a struggle to bend with 9s on this thing...but then again thats not really what it was built to do!

The kicker is the P90. Holy fak. P90s are hit and miss to me, has to be the right guitar and right pickup otherwise IMO they sound terrible. I am starting to understand the appeal of 50s P90s though, this has bark, bite, growl and this incredible luscious depth to it. Rolls off beautifully.

CONS - the pots are rough. SUPER stiff, like.....SUPER SUPER stiff. I cant turn the tone knob unless I grip it with 3 fingers and brace the guitar itself....any ideas for a remedy to this? Gotta be fixed soon. They dont scratch or anything just cant turn the damn things

Tuners SUCK. Stiff, hard to grip, dont hold strings very well, doesnt hold tune well. This is staying in my possession for a long time, next string change I am pulling these tuners off and putting a new set on, ones I can actually use to...tune the guitar

The bridge....its not BAD but I understand why this was pulled off the LP after a year. Not the best there ever was. Looks really good on this one though

Enough talk, more of that to come

Pictures!

mdubya

Reaction score
Although I would probably prefer a 2 pickup version, I have always been curious about these single pickup versions and I have been tempted many times to get one.

Get some DeOxit for the pots. It may take several applications, but it should ultimately clean and restore the pots.

I have heard of people disassembling vintage pots to restore them, too. I would do everything in my power to preserve the original pots.

That is a true beauty and highly underrated/underappreciated guitar. :drool::drool::drool:

mdubya

Reaction score
I am surprised the tuners are problematic. At least the buttons have been replaced.

Vintage repro white button tuners are readily available and a common replacement with originals stored in the case. I have several guitars with white button Klusons and they work perfectly fine.

ETA: tuning instability is almost always the nut, so I would look at that.

questionman

Reaction score
Although I would probably prefer a 2 pickup version, I have always been curious about these single pickup versions and I have been tempted many times to get one.

Get some DeOxit for the pots. It may take several applications, but it should ultimately clean and restore the pots.

I have heard of people disassembling vintage pots to restore them, too. I would do everything in my power to preserve the original pots.

That is a true beauty and highly underrated/underappreciated guitar. :drool::drool::drool:

Thanks for the tip, Ill order some of that

Yeah I honestly would prefer multiple pickups, BUT this P90 is very versatile. There is a complete tonal change picking right next to the bridge vs on top of the pickup vs by the neck. Its almost night and day and quite honestly you dont really notice theres only one pickup. I would imagine this effect would greatly benefit from a functional tone knob though haha!

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Man, what a beauty qm! Looks like you mad the right decision. Congrats, HNOGD :jam: and play her in good health!

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
A beauty of a specimen there. Nice!! Enjoy it. You'll get the nut/tuners sorted out.

questionman

Reaction score
Damn, what a trade. Beautiful.
HNGD!
:applause:
Man, what a beauty qm! Looks like you mad the right decision. Congrats, HNOGD :jam: and play her in good health!

Especially since I only had $800 vested into my Strat with the refret...quite the trade indeed

Update on my hatred of the tuners. They are very stiff, hard to turn. Combine that with the small buttons, I just feel like I am going to break something by using them. It was a complete struggle to tune 4 of these strings, took me almost 5 minutes to get them wound to tension. Yeah I could probably fix the stiffness and should sooner than later, but for functionality because lets face it I am going to play the loving shit out of this thing I want different tuners on it. Have a set of klusons I can put on, assuming the peg holes have stayed the same the past 60 years

SASouth

Reaction score
The tuner gears just need a little lubrication. Just drip a little light machine oil into the holes in the back of the tuner and work it in by rotating the tuner. You should feel it loosen up rather quickly.

I think if you try that you’ll find that the tuner buttons are not really hard to deal with and you’ll save yourself some money.

mdubya

Reaction score
DeOxit or even WD-40 would work on the tuners, too.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I was going to suggest WD-40 as well, but if you don't like them anyway, might as well just change them.

DJGranite

Reaction score
I still have my 79 strat I said I would trade for it ...

:squint:

You know, just in case you change your mind....

;)

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Those pots should clean up.
Some contact cleaner with lube.
As with the tuners, don't jack them around without addressing the problem or you will break them forever.
Billy Zoom swears by wd40 for pots.
Some folks think it can't be right, but he REALLY knows his stuff.
The grease in the tuners turns to cheese over time.
You can dribble some naphtha in to loosen it up, and it won't damage the finish, but it's best to just take them apart.
Whatever they are made of, the tabs that hold them together CAN be pried out and pushed back down at least once without snapping.
I pry them up the absolute minimum necessary for disassembly and use a light oil on assembly.
I would use a grease if I could be absolutely sure it wouldn't harden again, but I'm not sure if there is one. Maybe silicone-based.
Have fun!!

MSB

Reaction score
with so many good options for tuners these days, i don't think i'd personally mess with them if they are the way you say, just keep them once replaced, which it seems was your original take

Roxy13

Reaction score
Watch Dan Erlewine's video on cleaning vintage tuners with Naptha and then lubricating them. With a guitar like that you will want to keep it's original parts :)

What a beauty, congrats!