Noel Gallagher's smashed ES 355

studio1087

Reaction score
Why can't they just trash hotel rooms?

I remember looking at Gibson guitars that Pete Townsend had smashed that were on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was dumb. Dumb and sad.

They should just throw their shoes at the flat screen TV's in their hotel rooms. That'll show people.

lemmy loud

Reaction score
Somewhere, there is somebody who thinks this is cool and gives it a "temperamental artist" pass.
These guys are twunts, plain and simply . . .

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Yeah but Pete and Kurt weren't smashing vintage stuff.

Stone76

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this smashed 355 (which was later sold at auction after a wonderful restoration) is the original one after which the new Noel Gallagher Signature has been modeled after?

Or does Noel have more than one and the smashed one was a second one?

EasyAce

Reaction score
This is something I could never understand, the destruction of instruments. But many of the great ones have done it--even THE MAN himself.

enhanced-buzz-31570-1371053433-0.jpg

Maybe it's the ultimate tribute to the audience, like "I love you guys so much, look what I'm willing to do..."
No, it's the ultimate in rank stupidity and rubbing it in the audience's noses, "I can afford to be an asshole on stage," when enough of the audience only wishes they could afford instruments like Gallagher's. (I'm surprised Noel Gallagher let brother Liam live after that. You even think of smashing one of my guitars, you'll be lucky if you don't get your face smashed in for you.)

PageSide84

Reaction score
This is something I could never understand, the destruction of instruments. But many of the great ones have done it--even THE MAN himself.

enhanced-buzz-31570-1371053433-0.jpg

Maybe it's the ultimate tribute to the audience, like "I love you guys so much, look what I'm willing to do..."

I was at a show last night where the dude was holding his (Jazzmaster) out so that the crowd could grab it and whatnot . . then he just passed it into the crowd as if it was crowd-surfing. I couldn't believe it. It eventually made its way back on stage after being grabbed by dozens of people (it went pretty deep into the crowd) but I couldn't believe it. I couldn't bear risking my LPs like that but I can understand that part of the art acting in the moment, which can lead to things like throwing your instrument. It's like spiking a football after a touchdown. Of course it'll get flagged, but sometimes the impulse is just too much. That's part of what makes some of this so fascinating.

EDIT: Smashing vintage or one-of-a-kind stuff is an entirely different matter.

Last edited:

chrisj1602

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this smashed 355 (which was later sold at auction after a wonderful restoration) is the original one after which the new Noel Gallagher Signature has been modeled after?

Or does Noel have more than one and the smashed one was a second one?
His spare was smashed, the new signature is a copy of his number 1.

Stone76

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the clarification, @chrisj1602

Good to know the OG is safe and sound! (and far away from Liam)

moreles

Reaction score
Does anyone honestly think either of those guys wants things to have been, and to be, as they are between them? They're fallible and clearly imperfect human beings, not living some scripted situation comedy or drama. They've likely got a zillion dollars just lying on the table if they ever do an Oasis reunion, but at least they have the integrity in their animosity and incompatibility to not do that for the money. About 99.9% of the rest of humanity would be putting on an act and cashing in. Did people think Liam's sneering, cock-of-the-walk, short fuse frontman persona was some kind of act? Or that Noel's songs didn't mean what they said? I saw Oasis lots and lots of times, and you never knew what would happen. They were explosive and musically explosive. It's not like it was a secret, or an act. Now, how 'bout them Stones? Them's some nice lads.

Latest Threads