Nobody can diss Kirk Hammett anymore........

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When i was a teen and only listened to thrash i thought Kirk Hammett and Alex Skolnick (testament) were the only good lead thrash guitarists.

Kerry King (Slayer), Gary Holt (Exodus), i thought had great riffs but Kirk and Alex had solos with melodies and structure. It wasn't just frenzied wanking and whammy bar abuse.

Now i can appreciate the frenzy solos over frenzy riffs, but growing up i thought it was really cool how Kirk solos had melodies and composition. No one else really seemed to do that.

Last edited:

LocoTex

Reaction score
I like Kirk’s playing. I just wish he’d lay off the damn wah pedal for every FUCKING solo, and stop playing through a mountain of processing gear.
I just wish he wouldn't use "greenie" like that. He loses the essence of that guitar with all the mess between it and the amps.

cjpeck

Reaction score
I am done with debating on Kirk’s playing abilities... I am not a fan of him, but OF COURSE being the lead guitarist of the best heavy metal band in history (at least commercially) means that he can’t be a “bad” guitarist...
Everything I have to say about the disgusting KH bashing I said in this video on my old channel - enjoy:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>breath<
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

>coughcoughcoughcough<

you guys kill me!

redking

Reaction score
I think Kirk is excellent at a fairly narrow range of guitar playing. Blistering heavy metal guitar soloing and riffing. He is a fish out of water doing anything else IMO. I have seen him crash and burn too many times to think otherwise. And not crash and burn in a cool way like Jimmy Page where you almost think he meant to do that. No. It's cringe worthy every time. So if he sticks to Metal, he is brilliant. Just stick to Metal Kirk.

Has retained great hair too. Great hair.

Pappy58

Reaction score
He seems to be a pretty decent dude. I'm not a fan of that style of music but he certainly is a good player. And you can't counter the success of that band whatsoever. I'd rather see that Les Paul with somebody who plays it than sitting in a airtight glass coffin somewhere

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He's a way better player than I'll ever be. :thumb:

Not a fan of Metallica, though... probably only heard a couple of their songs well enough to know them. I just never did listen to a whole lot of metal after Black Sabbath's 4th album.

The fact that he owns a celebrated guitar says nothing to me one way or another about his character as a human being. All it tells me is that he can afford the instrument. And since I don't actually worship the instrument itself, it's kind of hard for me to think of him as a "steward"... it's not like he's a monk holding onto Excalibur while waiting for King Arthur to return or something. It's just a guitar that came to be considered as extremely valuable, and no surprise that he doesn't trash the instrument.

If I was gonna dis him about anything, it would probably have to do with that black fingernail polish he's got going in the photo. But the worst I'll say is just that it looks a bit silly.

--R

redking

Reaction score
People talk shit but his work on kill em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, justice for all, and black, is outstanding.

There is not a single bad solo on any of those albums. And many of them are memorable and singable.

Stuff like Disposable Heroes fast solo, or the slow fingerpicked solo in The Unforgiven,.. fantastic stuff.

Creeping death, fade to black, battery, justice for all,... he has tons of really great solos.

Never "just a shredder" he always had a melody and structure to his solos that was pretty unique.

I think people just like to talk shit or focus on bands at the end of thier career instead of looking at the cool stuff they did in the early days.

I'd hate to focus on Dyer Maker for Zeppelin and ignore the fantastic first 4 albums they have.

Because Dyer Maker is pretty lame. :laugh2:
I think James was a big influence on Kirk's playing in terms of the melodic stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if James actually wrote the melodies for Kirk to play, say on something like Creeping Death. But that's just a hunch.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
James has some nice melodic solos himself.

Master of Puppets, Nothing Else Matters, To Live is To Die..... he has nice phrasing and a very strong sense of melody

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Somewhere along the line James went from being an angry singer to taking singing lessons or something and trying to be Adele or some shit. But I hate it. Sounds like R&B metal. Thats my only beef. I'm not a hater or a super fan. In fact I played a bunch of them last week.

redking

Reaction score
Somewhere along the line James went from being an angry singer to taking singing lessons or something and trying to be Adele or some shit. But I hate it. Sounds like R&B metal. Thats my only beef. I'm not a hater or a super fan. In fact I played a bunch of them last week.
I dunno, when you are going into your 40s and 50s with a limited vocal range and you want to keep being able to perform, you have to have some technique. You can't continue to spit nails for that long and not ruin your voice.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dunno, when you are going into your 40s and 50s with a limited vocal range and you want to keep being able to perform, you have to have some technique. You can't continue to spit nails for that long and not ruin your voice.
Maybe true. I just don't like the singing of the old songs

Bluesky

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of Kirk and his playing......and I remember when Metallica opend for Anvil and sold killem all out of a suitcase at shows.

But I thought it was extremely gracious of him to visit Pete with the guitar. That guitar could very easily just be tucked away in a vault somewhere and never see the light of day. I'm pretty sure Kirk has to pay alot for security to surround it. Keep it safe on the road . Most people (including me) wouldnt let it leave thier home.

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've always read that Kirk is very polite, gracious, and humble.

even when they did the 'Big 4' reunion and everyone thought there would be beef between Kirk and Dave Mustaine they say that Kirk was like, "Dave you play some solos, or all the solos, whatever makes you happy. I'll play rhythm guitar for you it's not a big deal for me."

I always read that Kirk was a pretty stand-up guy.

Latest Threads