NOAD - Blackheart Handsome Devil Head

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I found an unmodified Blackheart Handsome Devil Head in Very Good condition, so I decided to pick it up. I had a Handsome Devil Combo some years back, and after some modifications trying to get it more Marshally, the cleans were just not the same anymore and I eventually got rid of it. But, before I modified it, I remember how rich and beautiful it sounded clean. That nice vintage boutique creamy clean tone, where you can just sit and play it for hours with the amp clean and be in heaven no matter what your playing.

I could not find a matching cabinet for a good price that was in very good to excellent condition, but I did find an Epiphone Valve Junior cabinet, which is pretty much the same thing. I will have it all soon and post some pictures, I can't wait to get them.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and happy NOAD :)

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck yeah!! CONGRATS. Yed, pics please when possible

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, it will be here tomorrow. I picked up the Epiphone Cabinet from Craigslist already, it is in perfect condition and came with the Eminence Lady Luck Speaker. I took off the Epiphone emblem from the cabinet, so it looks pretty much just like the Blackheart Cabinet.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Darn UPS. A signature was required for delivery. So... You're there all day waiting and the minute you have to step out for something they show up and leave a note. :run: I will have to pick it up today at a UPS Access Point when ever they finally get it sometime today. :dunno:

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Congrats :thumb:

I am blackhearted...
Amps_2_1017.jpg

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks and Very cool choices you have, I do like being Blackhearted as well. :cheers:

Last edited:

scozz

Reaction score
Congrats @rjwilson37 !! HNAD!

Is that the 15 watt head? Does it have a gain control?

I had a Blackheart Little Giant 5 watt head and cab and I loved the tone! My only problem was it had to be cranked to get some really nice crunch tones. I'm a play at home musician and those 5 watts are too loud for my purposes, and the 3 watt setting lost too much high end. Now if it had a gain control...

I sold the head but kept the cabinet and put a WGS ET65 12" in it. I now play a Bugera G5 Infinium head thru it and it's killer!!

I took off that stupid Blackheart logo...I hate that thing!...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yes, it is the 15w switchable between 7/15 watt and has a separate Volume and Drive, as well as Presence, Bass, Middle and Treble. I need to get some new tubes for it, and I think I need a different speaker for the cabinet, the Lady Luck speaker is a bit bright.

blackhearthandsomedevilhead.jpg

scozz

Reaction score
Yes, it is the 15w switchable between 7/15 watt and has a separate Volume and Drive, as well as Presence, Bass, Middle and Treble. I need to get some new tubes for it, and I think I need a different speaker for the cabinet, the Lady Luck speaker is a bit bright.

Check out WGS Speakers...they're great speakers at great prices! Also..they're made in the US!

https://wgsusa.com/

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The new Tubes should be here in a couple of days, I will let you know how it sounds after I put them in. I use the Mesa Boogie tubes, they have a nice deep full tone to them with the Handsome Devil.

QuicksilverSS

Reaction score
Congrats! I have 3 B.H. combo amps, 2 H.D's and a Lil Giant. I run the 2 H.D's thru 2 4x12 cabs. Love 'em!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats! I have 3 B.H. combo amps, 2 H.D's and a Lil Giant. I run the 2 H.D's thru 2 4x12 cabs. Love 'em!
Thanks, and just out of curiosity, what tubes do you use and what speakers are in your cabinet?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Check out WGS Speakers...they're great speakers at great prices! Also..they're made in the US!
https://wgsusa.com/

After looking/listening to different speakers from Eminence, WGS and Celestion, I think I am going to go with the WGS Reaper or Reaper HP. What is everyone's thoughts on the Reaper or Reaper HP?

AmpedUp

Reaction score
After looking/listening to different speakers from Eminence, WGS and Celestion, I think I am going to go with the WGS Reaper or Reaper HP. What is everyone's thoughts on the Reaper or Reaper HP?
Nice setup! I've been enjoying the Eminence GB128's in a 2x12. Considering the Reaper for an 1x12 I'm building as well.

scozz

Reaction score

I can't comment on the Reaper but the ET65-12" sounds great! Took a little time to break in, I play about 1 to 2hrs... 3 or 4 days a week. It started sounding really sweet after about a week and a half or two. I also had a WGS Veteran 30 in another amp I sold, same results. Love these speakers I've never seen a bad review on WGS Speakers! And they're built solid as a rock!

Great value in WGS Speakers.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I think I will order the WGS Reaper HP today.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sweet, my tubes are out for delivery today and my new WGS Reaper HP speaker was shipped today. I can't wait to throw the new tubes in today and see how the amp sounds, and it will be even better once the new Speaker arrives and I put it in. :dude:

Latest Threads