No More Sweet Smell ?

AdrianDSMer

Reaction score
I think Gibson is getting anyone and everyone to make cases. I knew going in that buying a 2020 LP Std would get me a Puerto Rican or Chinese case…. But wouldn’t you know it, I got a Canadian TKL.
The new chainsaw cases are made in China, regular and Custom Shop cases are made in Costa Rica.

smk506

Reaction score
ORDERED!

In retrospect, I probably should have ordered the 4oz bottle for $5 instead of the 16oz bottle for $15.
Same lol. I got the vanilla bean one though. The smaller bottle probably would have been the smarter buy for sure.

Danimal92Sport

Reaction score
My 2021 USA Standard (November ‘21 serial number) came in a TKL Canadian case and the sweet vanilla smell fills the room when the case opens. I will forever love that smell more than any other smell in the world, as my brain now associates it with popping open the case of my first new LP and feeling the glossy nitro :)

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2021 USA Standard (November ‘21 serial number) came in a TKL Canadian case and the sweet vanilla smell fills the room when the case opens. I will forever love that smell more than any other smell in the world, as my brain now associates it with popping open the case of my first new LP and feeling the glossy nitro :)

mine is also a 11/21 build. is that slop ass case it's in, come from canada?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
They changed their case supplier.
They are now coming from China and Costa Rica.
Those suppliers don't add the vanilla scent that TKL did.
Hmm…don’t know if it’s just me.

My only Gibson with that sweet smell is the one that came in the China case.

The brand new SG special i got with the TKL case has no smell at all. Niether does my LP Jr. which has the Costa Rica case.

Injector

Reaction score
My R7 smells of sweet cookies and so does my Custom Shop Telecaster but my USA Gibsons smell strongly of chemicals.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
This stuff is the closest I've come to the gibson smell. I will spray a teeny tiny bit into the accessory compartment of my case and it recharges that vanilla smell in my guitar. Highly recommended.
61sVub1eRUL._AC_SX425_.jpg
I read the same somewhere before, so last year when I was asked what I wanted for Xmas, I said this.

It doesn't smell exactly the same as a new Gibson (to me at least) but it is more or less within that ball park.

Reaction score
My 2019 Standard Gold Top was bought new, but it was about 18 months old from the factory when I got it. TKL case and the guitar still has the signature smell.

My 2021 Special was bought new, a few months old from the factory, Costa Rican case, no smell at all really.

gball

Reaction score
My most recent (new) purchases:

2016 Les Paul Traditional: Old-style Costa Rica, very strong "Gibson Smell" even now
2016 Firebird V: Gig bag so bought an Epiphone case, slight chemical smell (guitar sold last year)
2017 SG Standard: TKL Canada, extremely strong "Gibson Smell" (guitar sold last year)
2019 Firebird I: TKL Canada, very mild chemical smell (guitar sold last year)
2019 Les Paul Special: TKL Canada, Modest "Gibson Smell" already wearing off
2020 Les Paul '50s Standard: China, slight chemical smell
2021 Les Paul Classic: New-style Costa Rica, very strong chemical smell (I call this one Costa Reek-a)

Reaction score
My most recent purchases:

2016 Les Paul Traditional: Old-style Costa Rica, very strong "Gibson Smell" even now
2016 Firebird V: Gig bag, so bought an Epiphone case, slight chemical smell (guitar sold last year)
2017 SG Standard: TKL Canada, extremely strong "Gibson Smell" (guitar sold last year)
2019 Firebird I: TKL Canada, very mild chemical smell (guitar sold last year)
2019 Les Paul Special: TKL Canada, Modest "Gibson Smell" already wearing off
2020 Les Paul '50s Standard: China, slight chemical smell
2021 Les Paul Classic: New-style Costa Rica, very strong chemical smell (I call this one Costa Reek-a)

So in summary: stock up on your glazed donut air fresheners! I don’t have enough history with Gibson, but is the “new Gibson smell” sweetness just not a thing anymore, whatever the origin once was?

gball

Reaction score
but is the “new Gibson smell” sweetness just not a thing anymore, whatever the origin once was?

I believe it is a thing of the past, whatever the actual source was (which I do believe personally to have come from the cases).

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I read the same somewhere before, so last year when I was asked what I wanted for Xmas, I said this.

It doesn't smell exactly the same as a new Gibson (to me at least) but it is more or less within that ball park.
I think when you first open it and smell it straight on, it's overwhelming and doesn't smell exactly like the gibson smell but in small amounts, it hits the nose really similarly.

Jacrispy

Reaction score
I have a 2021 LP Classic that came in the black Costa Rican case, and it has the smell. :dunno:

Danimal92Sport

Reaction score
From another forum in 2017 regarding the TKL case smell;

Received this from TKL's Director of Domestic & International Operations = "The adhesives we use are all water-based, and have their natural odors scented with a vanilla concentrate. Sometimes there is a residual odor. The concentration of this scent will continue to diminish over time."

jdm66

Reaction score
From another forum in 2017 regarding the TKL case smell;

Received this from TKL's Director of Domestic & International Operations = "The adhesives we use are all water-based, and have their natural odors scented with a vanilla concentrate. Sometimes there is a residual odor. The concentration of this scent will continue to diminish over time."
I read the "vanilla concentrate" is Benzoin resin which has a sweet vanilla scent.

Latest Threads