No More Sweet Smell ?

amsalem

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought his first NEW Gibson Les Paul Classic, 2021 I believe.
After he ordered it I told him wait until you open the case and this sweet smell jumps at you.

Guess what, he got it, opened the case, but nothing!

Did Gibson change anything?

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my '21 standard had that sweet smell, but I got it within a month of birth. my tribby didn't smell at all.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
After he ordered it I told him wait until you open the case and this sweet smell jumps at you.

Can confirm, both my 2020 LP Jr. and my 2021 SG special lack that sweet smell. The SG just smells like chemical, which I assume is the nitro.

However, my early 2020 LP standard 60’s had that sweet scent and almost a year later still has it. I think it may have to do with which case they are shipped in, as i read on here some of the scent may be from the case itself. And i know they source cases from China, Canada, and Costa Rica.

Last edited:

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I've been playing les pauls for years and I still don't know if the smell comes from the cases or the lacquer. I've smelled new guitars that smell amazing, some that smell like nothing. I've smelled new gibson case that smelled of vanilla and ones that smelled like nothing. It's a damn mystery to me.

lanningwk

Reaction score
I bought a used 2019 SG Special in Sparkling Burgundy that had the smell when I bought it, it's out of the case several times a week being played and is now 2.5 years old and every time I open the case it STILL smells like sweet nitro. Neither of my LP's ever had a smell (2004 Std and 2020 Std Goldtop)

amsalem

Reaction score
I bought a used 2019 SG Special in Sparkling Burgundy that had the smell when I bought it, it's out of the case several times a week being played and is now 2.5 years old and every time I open the case it STILL smells like sweet nitro. Neither of my LP's ever had a smell (2004 Std and 2020 Std Goldtop)

I own a 2009 LP Studio which still has this smell :)

It's part of the Gibson thing, IMO and it was weird to not have it on a brand new guitar.

lanningwk

Reaction score
I own a 2009 LP Studio which still has this smell :)

It's part of the Gibson thing, IMO and it was weird to not have it on a brand new guitar.
I wish they sold car airfreshners in that same scent. Every time I open my SG I give her a sniff haha.
Hell, it might have even saved my life... true story, I went to play it one day about a year ago and was like "Damn, the smell is gone".... went and got tested for COVID the very next day and sure enough, I had it! 3 weeks later, the smell was back hahaha

Peter M

Reaction score
Ah, that loveable and sometimes elusive Gibby cookie dough smell.

Most of my recent Pauls have it... some more evident than others. My 2020 Slash still has the new Gibby scent going strong and I play it frequently.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I wish they sold car airfreshners in that same scent. Every time I open my SG I give her a sniff haha.
Hell, it might have even saved my life... true story, I went to play it one day about a year ago and was like "Damn, the smell is gone".... went and got tested for COVID the very next day and sure enough, I had it! 3 weeks later, the smell was back hahaha
This stuff is the closest I've come to the gibson smell. I will spray a teeny tiny bit into the accessory compartment of my case and it recharges that vanilla smell in my guitar. Highly recommended.
61sVub1eRUL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I spoke with customer service from TKL cases a couple of years ago. They put that scent in their cases. It appears that their newer stuff doesn’t smell as strong.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the generic TKL cases sold by Yorkville Sound in Canada had the smell. One of those made my used Tribute smell the way it should.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

They changed their case supplier.
They are now coming from China and Costa Rica.
Those suppliers don't add the vanilla scent that TKL did.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This stuff is the closest I've come to the gibson smell. I will spray a teeny tiny bit into the accessory compartment of my case and it recharges that vanilla smell in my guitar. Highly recommended.
61sVub1eRUL._AC_SX425_.jpg
ORDERED!

In retrospect, I probably should have ordered the 4oz bottle for $5 instead of the 16oz bottle for $15.

lanningwk

Reaction score
my '21 standard case is def not tkl.
I think Gibson is getting anyone and everyone to make cases. I knew going in that buying a 2020 LP Std would get me a Puerto Rican or Chinese case…. But wouldn’t you know it, I got a Canadian TKL.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
ORDERED!

In retrospect, I probably should have ordered the 4oz bottle for $5 instead of the 16oz bottle for $15.
Lol yeah its SUPER strong and concentrated. I put like a half a spritz in the accessory pocket of my case and the smell is recharged for like 2 months

AdrianDSMer

Reaction score
They changed their case supplier.
They are now coming from China and Costa Rica.
Those suppliers don't add the vanilla scent that TKL did.
Costa Rica cases have been produced for many years. I think this has to do with the lacquer that they are using.

Latest Threads