No More Serial Number Stamps!…Help Requested

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, hate to be mr obvious, but as far as the spacing is concerned, couldn't you just push the rubber stamp bands together at the bottom where you stamp? I have the same(ish) type and that's what I do to get the spacing a little more accurate. Just my 2 cents. :D

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
But............... With that said, if there were a rotary vintage correct stampy stamp available I'd buy a couple for sure. :thumb:

AMM118

Reaction score
Frank can you please clear your Private Messages? I can't send you one because it is full.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth with a local company, with Franks help for the fonts and haven't heard back on the custom option yet, I just sent a follow up email when this thread bump reminded me.

It took me a little explaining, as the rotary stuff they have in stock is pretty darn close.

I'm like, yeah, but I need it just ever so slightly different.
The guy's like, "but why?" i'm like, cause i'm crazy.

This was the best they have off the shelf for like 20-25 bucks.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-22%20at%205.13.39%20PM.jpg_zpsvkglb6uu.png~original

I'm back after doing college tours for my daughter over the past two weeks, returning on the red eye from CA yesterday morning. AMM118, I just sent you a PM and cleared a little space in my PM box for you to get back to me. And for anyone else who may have the same trouble reaching me, please feel free to send me an email at: [email protected]

Regarding the rotary stamp shown above, I, too, purchased one of these early on in my search, but quickly realized that there are significant differences in the font type and the spacing to that of the vintage stamps.

Here is a comparison between what the stamp above produces, versus what my old stamp kits would produce...which are pretty darn close to being vintage accurate. Note the differences in font style/shape, width of numbers and spacing:

0_6725_Comparison.jpg

Frank

buyusfear

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Further to Franks post, I took some photos of that stamper, first up against my 1956 Jr

Serial%20No%20stamp2_zpscp2koeaq.jpg~original

And then up against Frank's kit stamp on one of my builds.
Serial%20No%20stamp3_zpspwr8b0jh.jpg~original

Note that this was after squeezing the bands together.

Serial%20No%20stamp1_zpslgvmdox5.jpg~original

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, Alex.

And just a bit of an update, another member, AMM118 (Andy), has been working on getting some stamps made up using our font. So far, the supplier he's working with has been able to produce sheets of numbers similar to what we're used to, except in more of a rubber material, rather than a clear polymer. Here's what those stamps look like (note that I reversed the photo, so it's easier to read the numbers):

New_Rubber_Stamp_Prototype_reversed.jpg

Andy is currently working with the same stamp maker to see if we can do a rotary stamp version. I'll keep you posted on that, hopefully within the next week or so.

Frank

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
^ if not a rotary, those could be cut down and used in a bracket/jig like a printing press to get consistent spacing with any combo of figures.

Subscribed and interested in a stamp or stamp set, myself. I have a luthier friend with a stamp he uses on headstock repairs. I can ask him about its origin. He has a fair amount of custom made stamps and silk screens for various things vintage and may have done this already. For all I know, it could be one of Frank's, though!

My initial idea is a shared G-Code program for cutting the font with a CNC router and a whole lotta potatoes to make every combination of the sequence. :dunno:

Muletrain

Reaction score
Wanted to resurrect Frank's Post... Did a Google search and came up with this site... just for the heck of it. Thought I'd throw this out there... 'cause so many are in interested in this. This is close enough for discussion... I think.. Thing that caught my eye was 1000 dpi... Seems as though with that much detail... Well you be the judge. Here's the link.

http://www.rubberstamps.net/FixedSize.aspx?ProductID=UNMOUNTED2&qty=1
Type in 0123456789 and "stencil", Preview.

What James said about a Printing Press/Jig.. gizmo... That's interesting.

We could send a Picture of the exact font ... they may be able to copy it.:hmm:

Muletrain

Reaction score
Update... Placed an order with RubberStamps.net today. Going to see how this works... Downloaded a font (stencil) to rubber stamps that I got from a previous post on this forum. Also, requested a 3/16" height.... I've got a plan... We'll see, may work ... May not.... Worth a try.

Latest Threads