No More Serial Number Stamps!…Help Requested

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you’ve spent any time around here over the past few years, then you’re probably aware of the serial number stamp kits that I was having produced, and was selling.

For those not aware of this project, there are a few detailed threads around here covering this topic, starting with the development/re-creation of the serial number font, through the production and sale of these stamp kits, and a tutorial on how to use them. To summarize, through a joint effort on the part of several members here, we developed a very close approximation of the font used for the serial numbers on vintage ‘50s/’60 Gibsons. An MLP member’s mom began producing stamp kits for us using these numbers, and I was the one coordinating the effort and selling these kits…at cost. In total, there were close to 200 of these stamp kits made and sold over a five+ year period of time.

Well, as of about six months or so ago, the woman producing these stamp kits retired, and I’ve since depleted the remaining stock I had…with the exception of one kit that I’m holding onto for myself. One of the main reasons she retired was because her raw material supplier is no longer supplying the stamp making material that she was using…and it’s unlikely that we’ll be able to find anyone else using similar technology for the same reason…especially at the price point we enjoyed. Meanwhile, I continue to receive requests for these stamp kits at the rate of around two per month…without any kind of advertising at all.

So, we’re at a crossroads with regard to this project. If anyone has any ideas on how else we may be able to get these stamps produced, I’d love to hear them. Or perhaps we could set up a buy/sell thread where people looking to purchase a kit can be connected with others who have already used their kits, and don’t really need them anymore…or if there are people, especially those who may be close to one another, who wouldn’t mind lending their kits to someone else.

One last thing I’ll mention here as a reminder, in case you weren’t already aware or had forgotten this: If we have stamps produced again, it would be great if we could do rotary stamps, unlike our first go-around. However, what we found the first time around, and I would bet that this is still the case, is that while we were able to have rotary stamps custom made with our font, no one was able to produce a rotary stamp with the spacing that we needed. Plus, the rotary stamp machines with a custom font were very expensive, and required a minimum order.

So again…any ideas, or potential custom stamp suppliers to explore, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if there is an exchange or more available at some point, id be interested!

reedy

Reaction score
Hey Frank is there something special about the materials and supplies your old stamp maker was using? I ask as it might help us to know a little about what she was using if we are asking around.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
I got the old style but would definitely get a rotary style next if it's possible.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey Frank is there something special about the materials and supplies your old stamp maker was using? I ask as it might help us to know a little about what she was using if we are asking around.

These stamps are made from a polymer material, similar to those sold on this website: Photocentric USA store / imagepac stampmaker

I believe that the woman who made our kits had a bit more sophisticated equipment, but the equipment sold at the above website can certainly be used to make adequate stamps. But to make the type of kits that our previous supplier made, has to be quite time consuming, and definitely something that I have no interest in attempting.

I've used the above type of stamp making kits and materials to make my own one-off types of stamps, but again, I certainly wouldn't want to use this for a production run of stamps.

Frank

buyusfear

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a custom rubber stamp store here I've seen before.

I'll ask the question and see what the deal is.
I'm lucky enough to own one of the original kits. Works great but a rotary would be awesome.

NateM

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've been thinking about getting some stamps engraved via Ponoko (https://www.ponoko.com/) out of their silicone rubber material. I'm not sure how the resolution compares but I had some thoughts about rolling my own rotary stamp.

Fred

Reaction score
Frank, If you or someone else comes up with a rotary stamp I will be glad to buy one or two. I'm getting old and kinda shakey trying to put these numbers together on the present stamp. Fred

ExNihilo

Reaction score
I would be happy with any stamp kit if anyone is interested in selling...

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I would suggest that you might look into picking up a Regal numbering machine, model no. 607, if you want an indexable stamper that yields good results.

I do not guarantee that the results are "vintage correct" but it might be good enough for those who are not OCD about ripping off a 'burst to the ultimate and final detail.

The 607 is a metal type stamper, not rubber, and needs inks that are formulated and mixed and at the right viscosity for the desired results. It'll take some work on your part to get the results you want. But it can be done.

TheHarleyMan2

Reaction score
I would be interested in a set, would be good to get it in a rotary stamper. How much do those places that make them to specs charge to make them? I am sure it depends on how many you have made.

I know most of the cost would be for the tooling for the number mold sizing and style, the rotarys they should already have them, (being they would not be much different with other rotarys they make), for specific spacing for sized lettering and numbers already in existence.

The higher cost would also depend on how many you have made at one time if less than a bulk batch at a cheaper price. Could be worth a shot in getting money together and find a small mom and pop print shop and sell the rest of the bulk to?

Barnaby

Reaction score
For the record, if there is anyone in Tokyo who needs to borrow the kit, I have one of Frank's originals, so get in touch. Actually, I've not used it yet, but will one of these days.

buyusfear

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth with a local company, with Franks help for the fonts and haven't heard back on the custom option yet, I just sent a follow up email when this thread bump reminded me.

It took me a little explaining, as the rotary stuff they have in stock is pretty darn close.

I'm like, yeah, but I need it just ever so slightly different.
The guy's like, "but why?" i'm like, cause i'm crazy.

This was the best they have off the shelf for like 20-25 bucks.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-22%20at%205.13.39%20PM.jpg_zpsvkglb6uu.png~original

NateM

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth with a local company, with Franks help for the fonts and haven't heard back on the custom option yet, I just sent a follow up email when this thread bump reminded me.

It took me a little explaining, as the rotary stuff they have in stock is pretty darn close.

Where do you see that font deviating from what Gibson used? Do you have a link to the stamp if people wanted to pick that one up?

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Could you do a comparison of Frank's stamp and the rotary one you showed us.

the great waldo

Reaction score
I don't know if this is going to help but i've been using some stuff called potch, it's a photo transfer paint (transparent) so you just print what you want with a laser printer paint over the print place face down on the surface and iron over it. When dry just wet the paper and rub it off with a finger and the print is now on your surface and so far no problem with laquering over the top, works great and is as good as the print on paper only problem might be using lighter colours and white is a no starter. here's a link Foto Transfer Potch von C.KREUL
Cheers
Andrew

TheHarleyMan2

Reaction score

Where did you get that at? Any web links?

buyusfear

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Where do you see that font deviating from what Gibson used? Do you have a link to the stamp if people wanted to pick that one up?

There are small nuances that do differ. And the spacing between the letters is a touch wider than historically accurate.
This is a local store, and about as old school as they come.

Could you do a comparison of Frank's stamp and the rotary one you showed us.

I'll see what I can do.

Where did you get that at? Any web links?

Please see my comments above.

TheHarleyMan2

Reaction score
There's a custom rubber stamp store here I've seen before.

I'll ask the question and see what the deal is.
I'm lucky enough to own one of the original kits. Works great but a rotary would be awesome.

There are small nuances that do differ. And the spacing between the letters is a touch wider than historically accurate.
This is a local store, and about as old school as they come.

I'll see what I can do.

Please see my comments above.

Uh, Am I missing something? Because you tell me to see your comments above when I asked where you got it, but don't give specific on "WHERE", (like the name of the joint, place, website, whatever), where you got it from!

Am I missing something? No offense!

buyusfear

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Uh, Am I missing something? Because you tell me to see your comments above when I asked where you got it, but don't give specific on "WHERE", (like the name of the joint, place, website, whatever), where you got it from!

Am I missing something? No offense!

Sorry, what I meant by my comment was that there is no site. This building is as old as Stamp technology itself probably.
I believe the shop is called the Stamp Shop, or something complex like that.
I just drove by it all the time and went in one day.

You should be able to find the above roller stamp in just about any local stamp store if you search for a stamp store.

Latest Threads