No more rosewood restrictions?

pbekkerh

Reaction score
>According to an NPR report, a key committee at the international endangered species convention meeting in Geneva on Monday approved a motion that will exclude from CITES restrictions finished musical instruments that contain rosewood.

PierM

Reaction score
If that’s true, and doesn't take 10 years to be applied, it’s great news!

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything relating to Brazilian? I assume the "rosewood" ban was lifted for the blanket rosewood species identified in Appendix II. It would still be hard to get the raw wood but would make selling guitars with braz boards much easier. Anyone confirm what this means for Brazilian?

Regards Peter.

ARandall

Reaction score
Braz will still be on the higher restriction as it remsins endangered.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
For us guitar builders, woods such as EIW will be pretty easy to get, as most fretboard blanks come out of their source countries either tapered or surfaced and that therefore makes them a "finished" product (it's not raw wood, it's a fretboard blank or neck blank!)

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
If that’s true, and doesn't take 10 years to be applied, it’s great news!
it is true and
it will take 90 days....

CITES lifts rosewood ban for guitars and other musical instruments!
CITES ban overturned at last
Approximate reading time: 1 Minute
CITES Update 2019
CITES Update 2019 · Source: Fender/CITES
After a nearly two-year CITES ban on the movement of rosewood crossing international borders, unless accompanied by the relevant paperwork, it looks like the ban has finally been overturned.

CITES vs. Rosewood: The turnaround
According to media reports, trading restrictions on rosewood have been revised by the relevant CITES committee allowing all ‘finished’ instruments with rosewood, all their parts and spares, to be traded freely. This ends the restrictions previously in place for musical instruments, which will now apply only to the movement of rosewood as a raw material across international borders.

Common Sense
That makes sense to me. Why would you want to confiscate or destroy instruments legitimately built using rosewood, especially vintage ones or ones where the wood had been sourced in a way that is environmentally friendly? According to NPR, the 2017 restrictions cost the MI industry tens of millions of dollars without a big impact on rosewood conservation. That’s quite a big economic effect on the companies involved.

Fender Custom Shop George Harrison Telecaster CITES 2017 laws
Fender Custom Shop George Harrison Telecaster. A definite candidate for CITES 2017 paperwork
Musicians and Industry freedom
This new ruling will mean that musicians can travel freely without fear of their beloved instruments getting confiscated or destroyed. But I hope the musical instrument industry will start to think more carefully about what woods they use and how it will impact the environment going forward.

The trade in raw-material rosewood still remains regulated and is subject to permits granted by individual countries. Which, I believe, is as it should be. We need to be far more conscious of what we use and how it affects our planet in the long-term.

You can read the full report on the NPR link below.

More Information

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Braz will still be on the higher restriction as it remsins endangered.
Yes - but will it need paperwork to ship finished guitars? I'm wondering if this update only affects the Appendix II genus wide classification or whether it also applies to Brazilian which is Appendix I. I think this is the next big question for builders and owners of these guitars.

Regards Peter.

Wallied

Reaction score
Yes - but will it need paperwork to ship finished guitars? I'm wondering if this update only affects the Appendix II genus wide classification or whether it also applies to Brazilian which is Appendix I. I think this is the next big question for builders and owners of these guitars.

Regards Peter.
Nope, Brazilian remains endangered, and thus will remain in Appendix 1, prohibiting the transporting as before. Basically this change returns us to the situation a few years back.

Regards, Will

Latest Threads