no longer letting others play my guitar

truckermde

Reaction score
Man, I hear ya...

I used to let one of the guitarists in my band use my guitars on occasion, but made him wash his hands first. I did the work and set-up on his guitars, and they were always GRIMY. Gross...

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What brand of strings did your friend put on your guitar?

scott1970

Reaction score
I work with an officer who is not allowed to touch any of my firearms, because he makes any gun he handles rust up in no time. I've seen his brass ammo corrode within two weeks of loading his mags. I feel bad for him. He's a gun leper and should be required to holler unclean anytime someone has their gun out in his presence.

ThinLizzy789

Reaction score
Hey 'basset-head' I hope you never lent him anything from that point onward, cheers!

Drew71

Reaction score
I have made the decision to no longer share my guitar with others.

reason; they put new string on my guitar when I picked it up from repair on dec. 15. I went over to a friends house on the 20th and let him use my guitar for a bit. the next day my guitar sounded dead, like it had really old strings but I thought there was no way. the strings were only like a week old.

I havent played it much since but I looked at my strings yesterday and noticed that they were rusted out. I never realized they could rust so fast. my friends guitar strings are always rusted but I thought it was because he never changed them out. I guess his sweat just kills guitar strings really fast.

I have never had my strings rust before and I once went a year without changing my strings.
I had a similar situation..when I got home I replaced the strings, cleaned the fret board, then oiled the fret board and cleaned/polished the whole guitar...after I decided/thought exactly what M&M stated
**** other people.

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
some people have acid sweat like the alien thing. a few hours playing and they totally corrode strings

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really have either. I've never had rust, but I HATE gunky strings. I ALWAYS wash my hands before playing. A former co-worker played 1 or 2 of mine, but he always washed his hands before touching mine--I guess because I did that whenever he brought 1 in to show me.

Funny, kids used to bring in their guitars to show me and they always asked me if I wanted to play. I'd say, "well a guy's guitar is rather like his girl, he doesn't want a bunch of other guys messing with it" and if they insisted, I'd always excuse myself to wash my hands first. One kid--oh he was a RIOT!! told me (after I made my perfunctory statement) "hey, it's ok, I see you as a physician with my lady" :laugh2: :laugh2:

parts

Reaction score
No..

No ass wiping no hand washing nose pickers near my..well..anything

Not on my necks..

GeeJay

Reaction score
I did that one time.. ONE time. Brand new LP standard came back with a nice gouge on the back from a belt buckle.. No more.

I let a good friend play my brand new unmarked Les Paul Standard back in 2002. He handed it back to me with jeans rivet scratches in the back of it. Nothing through the lacquer, but I was not happy about it at all.

Since then, it has picked more wear on the back, a few minor dings on the front, some wear around the volume and tone controls, frets and fretboard. Someone the other day commented that it now looks like a thirty-year old guitar!

My Taylor on the other hand is still mint and has rarely been in anyone else's hands. Sadly, it will pick up dings and scrapes one day I guess but hopefully just down to me.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
I have never lent a guitar out, unless I went with it (Roland Guitar Synth for a mate's demo-tape, back in the mid-eighties), or I was okay with never seeing it again.

But, rusty strings in a week???
EWwwwwwwwwwww!

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
He handed it back to me with jeans rivet scratches in the back of it. Nothing through the lacquer.

For info, I had a nasty mark on the back of my #1.
It went right through to the bare wood and was put there by a guy who was supposed to be setting it up for me.
Idiot had dribbled some chemical on it which went right through and then dribbled the length of the entire back.
Another story, but he is now rather shorter than when I first met him (historical references elsewhere in this forum).

Anyway a good-guy from Palm Bay Guitars (who also used to luthier for Patrick Eggle as a matter of interest) looked at it and offered to put it right for me.
He didn't even charge me.
I never got his name but I'm still very grateful and haven't forgotten it, still wish I could repay him now.

He had a cloth head mounted on a lathe, like one of the machines Gibson use to polish their finishes.
I watched him do it and he just gently "folded" the lacquer over the mark.
Can't see a damned thing now and people always comment about its' new appearance.
Maybe worth your while looking into it?
Should take less than five minutes, unless it's really screwed.

NashvilleCat

Reaction score
Hey Buddy....get yer own damn guitar!!!..and get the hell off my lawn too!!

jc2000

Reaction score
I never lend my guitars to anyone. Good rule.:thumb:

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
The man playing your guitar also held his bare pen*s. Ruminate.

roeg

Reaction score
check for a new VOS finish a contact points.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
dont loan out things you care about.

Strings are THREE BUCKS.

GeeJay

Reaction score
.....Maybe worth your while looking into it?
Should take less than five minutes, unless it's really screwed.

Thanks for the suggestion. When it first happened, my wife said "Did you buy it to use as an ornament or as a tool"?

After 14-years of gigging the guitar, I'm OK with it now as is. All part of the deal.

Jshort

Reaction score
Too many nose pickers out there for me to lend my guitars to anyone.

Latest Threads