No Direction Home - Bob Dylan (Netflix)

DotStudio

Reaction score
Caught this on Netflix while hiding from Rona. It's a good watch. Might just be how it was edited, but he comes off a lot less pretentious than I would have assumed. He spends most of the movie, both old and new interviews, shunning the notion that he was the voice of a generation or anything along those lines.

I loved his interactions with reporters that would ask inane questions: "How many of your contemporaries are protest singers?" ... "One hundred thirty-six."

I had heard about going electric at the Newport festival and all of that before, but didn't realize how much the negativity and booing followed him around on tour. He really stuck to his guns and essentially told everyone to eff off.

I'm sure he's a twat in various other ways (that I'm sure you'll share), but I came away with a sense of respect for him as an artist and performer.

Regardless, it's an interesting doc. Check it out. Or don't. :dunno:

DotStudio

Reaction score
its a good one. another Martin Scorsese music film.
I honestly knew nothing about it and just randomly turned it on. Didn't realize it was Scorsese until the end credits and thought "huh, that makes sense." It seemed a little disjointed at first, but once it got rolling it was good to go.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I honestly knew nothing about it and just randomly turned it on. Didn't realize it was Scorsese until the end credits and thought "huh, that makes sense." It seemed a little disjointed at first, but once it got rolling it was good to go.
I caught a portion of it on PBS a while back. I got the DVD (through alternative means)

Bob Zimmerman is a complicated guy. I adore the early recordings.

I still think "Like a Rolling Stone" is the best rock song of the era, possibly ever.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Joan Baez interviews moments were pretty funny...

Latest Threads