No, but I slept in a Holiday Inn last night.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought this was extremely cool, innovative thinking.

I've got a regular customer that retired here a long time ago in a nice senior's subdivision. Wife died, sold the house, checked out all the assisted living complexes. After checking em all out, seeing what they were like and adding up what the tab would be, he opted instead to move into the new Holiday Inn Express. He says it's perfect. Says he's got a gym, pool, maid service, security and free breakfast. Get up, grab a cup of coffee, go work out, relax, read the paper, watch the news and have a big breakfast in the dining room, go sit by the pool for a while. Rest up, get cleaned up and then go out to a place like me to visit with all the nice girls (he knows em all) and have a late lunch. Come back to a nice cleaned room. Later, maybe he'll go to the Elk's Club or the VFW; maybe he'll just grab some free horderves, a glass of wine and stay in and watch TV.

Says he'll do it as long as he can drive. After that, maybe then he'll think again about the assisted living thing.

Sounded crazy at first. The more I thought about it, I think he may have it figured out.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
As one who has cruised a good bit, I can tell you that the prices quoted for cruise per day are too low, unless a specific cruise is “on special”, and then only on “budget” lines that have many extra cost items. These include beverages, bottled water, tips, and some activities. At the quoted prices expect a very small inside room with no windows, which are really too small for two people long term.

Cruise prices have risen dramatically in the past year or so. So that the fare, combined with increased air fare, has priced us out of the market. On some of the better lines, fare has risen to $1000 per day per person. At least this includes a livable room.

Med facilities on cruise ships are very limited and pricey. We have never found any that accept Medicare or other US med insurance. Travel insurance coverage under these circumstances may not be available, or very difficult to obtain.

Bottom line, I have no love for assisted living centers as determining what services are included requires the service of a lawyer. And a cruise stay would be more enjoyable. But such is not available for the costs in the link.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I thought this was extremely cool, innovative thinking.

I've got a regular customer that retired here a long time ago in a nice senior's subdivision. Wife died, sold the house, checked out all the assisted living complexes. After checking em all out, seeing what they were like and adding up what the tab would be, he opted instead to move into the new Holiday Inn Express. He says it's perfect. Says he's got a gym, pool, maid service, security and free breakfast. Get up, grab a cup of coffee, go work out, relax, read the paper, watch the news and have a big breakfast in the dining room, go sit by the pool for a while. Rest up, get cleaned up and then go out to a place like me to visit with all the nice girls (he knows em all) and have a late lunch. Come back to a nice cleaned room. Later, maybe he'll go to the Elk's Club or the VFW; maybe he'll just grab some free horderves, a glass of wine and stay in and watch TV.

Says he'll do it as long as he can drive. After that, maybe then he'll think again about the assisted living thing.

Sounded crazy at first. The more I thought about it, I think he may have it figured out.
Good for him if he can afford it.

Olds442

Reaction score
that's awesome. he can just travel all over and have a home.

i have to say, some holiday inn properties are very nice.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
When necessary, he can have the healthcare resources come to him...

My dad always paid a fortune for long-term care insurance and such. So, they can have most of the services and resources administered at home, which is good, because my mom is not going into assisted care unless it is at gunpoint.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
that's awesome. he can just travel all over and have a home.

i have to say, some holiday inn properties are very nice.
I was thinking he was just staying at the same one, but that is an even better idea.See the country. Go south in the winter, north in the summer. Great way to see the country.

One of the keys is that he's getting most of his food included with the room rate. So, if he's averaging say $118/night that's about $3500/month. That sounds expensive, but if he's getting away without going to the grocery store too often. He might save $1000-1500/month on food. So, his real monthly rate is closer to $2000-2500. Which is expensive for a studio, but I imagine cheaper than assisted care. Daily room service, wi-fi and cable are all included. You have no security deposit or long-lasting liabilities.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
PSA!

When hotels have empty rooms most of the time,
they prefer to cover their fixed costs than getting no money.
It helps them if the otherwise empty rooms are occupied.

Some good long term deals are to be negotiated depending on the area and occupation rate.

Same with restaurants (although now most everything is big chains).
A guy I know got a deal at his local restaurant to eat three meals a day for a weekly fee.
He brings them some money and they throw away less food!
Win - Win.