NMMD - 'Nother Melody Maker Day

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
2007 Melody Maker reissue

I had to wait until the price came up on the Long & McQuade site at 2:00 PM today, and then nailed the Buy Now button. Paid a deposit, and then drove out and picked it up within 30 min.

Satin finish, well looked after, and a real wrap tail and not a lightning bar. Close enough for rock 'n' roll. I have to go to bed 'cause I work tonight, but I'll have a review in a few days.

It's an older sibling to my 2014 Melody Maker.

The case doesn't really fit as there's no neck support and the headstock rests on the case floor. I'll remedy that.

smk506

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Looks like mine did 13 years ago. Jeeze , where did that time go?

LocoTex

Reaction score
I'm putting a Wolfetone P90 in mine, but the original single coil is a nasty bitch as well. I'm keeping it in the original pickguard.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Polished the Melody Maker a bit to take some of the satin off. I'm playing with pickup height and have already lowered the treble side because it's just too bitey. The pickup is very bright so I might lower both sides a bit more. I don't care about output; all my amps have ample volume.

I like this wee guitar a lot, but honestly, it isn't worth a nickel more than I paid for it ;) The pickup is the slug half of a humbucker, the "shelf" below the neck heel could have been radiused at least a little and the finish looks thinner than that of my '14 MM.

I don't think I overpaid, but this must be the most cheaply built Gibson reissue ever :hmm:

smk506

Reaction score
Polished the Melody Maker a bit to take some of the satin off. I'm playing with pickup height and have already lowered the treble side because it's just too bitey. The pickup is very bright so I might lower both sides a bit more. I don't care about output; all my amps have ample volume.

I like this wee guitar a lot, but honestly, it isn't worth a nickel more than I paid for it ;) The pickup is the slug half of a humbucker, the "shelf" below the neck heel could have been radiused at least a little and the finish looks thinner than that of my '14 MM.

I don't think I overpaid, but this must be the most cheaply built Gibson reissue ever :hmm:
Yeah, that pretty much sums them up... :laugh2:

They’re cool guitars, not great guitars. They’re less refined and a lot more sonically limited than any other Gibson electric I’ve played.

I consider them to be like that one spice on the rack you don’t use much, but when a recipe calls for it, nothing else will work.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've replaced the knobs twice already. First I swapped the original ones for amber, but they are still hard to grasp, so I put on gold speed knobs. Much better.

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've replaced the knobs twice already. First I swapped the original ones for amber, but they are still hard to grasp, so I put on gold speed knobs. Much better.
I'm going towards speedknobs from bell or reflector knobs lately myself.

When my new V gets here on Thursday, it's getting gold speed knobs and an amber switch tip the second it comes out of the case.

Well, maybe after a few moments or so...

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going towards speedknobs from bell or reflector knobs lately myself.

When my new V gets here on Thursday, it's getting gold speed knobs and an amber switch tip the second it comes out of the case.

Well, maybe after a few moments or so...
The original LP knobs were barrel knobs, a slightly taller speed knob. My Tribute has them now, but it's a mutt, anyway.

smk506

Reaction score
Love it!

I remember about ten years ago or so Musicians Friend was blowing these out for $250 (or maybe even less). I wish I had pulled the trigger on one then...

Man I forgot about the cool box. I ripped mine like a kid at Christmas :laugh2:.

That was seriously one of the best things to come out of the early 2000’s. They must have made too many to warrant the blowout, but I sure wish they’d do another run for under $400.

I’d buy a few.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
No, Bill. I have an urge to buy a Squier Cabronita Thinline Tele in Fiesta Red. :laugh2:
A Tele body with a Strat bridge and Jazzmaster pickups and an F hole. All for the same price point as any VM Squier, and just as well made. What's not to love?
You need a hardtail Strat.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Man I forgot about the cool box. I ripped mine like a kid at Christmas :laugh2:.

That was seriously one of the best things to come out of the early 2000’s. They must have made too many to warrant the blowout, but I sure wish they’d do another run for under $400.

I’d buy a few.
That is a cool retro box...

Latest Threads