NMBPD... minus an arm & a leg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
After almost 8 years of faithful and flawless service, my MacBookPro passed away yesterday morning while I was reading MLP. Somehow, I think all of you fuckers should chip in to pay for the new one, but I digress.

The new MBPs are so fucking expensive, I decided to drive an hour to DE and buy it there, since there is no sales tax in that state. That saved me around $225. Which is a good thing, since the cocksuckers at Apple changed out all the ports to USB-C. None of my cables will work and I had to buy new ones. I'm still $200 to the good, less gas and time.

Plus, there is a Costco in the same shopping center and unlike in PA, they sell liquor. So, I always fill up the trunk with wine and spirits when I go down to DE.

Here's the new MBP.... I had to sell an arm & a leg to pay for it...

And, here is a 1.5L bottle of Kirkland vodka (rebranded Grey Goose), that I paid $12.99. Yes, it's ¼ of the price. The 1.5L bottles are about $50 in my home state.... sorry for the shit picture, the countertops are not in yet - LOL

IMG_0144.JPG

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirkland Whiskey is my favorite. less than 1/2 the price of Crown

rogue3

Reaction score
After almost 8 years of faithful and flawless service, my MacBookPro passed away yesterday morning while I was reading MLP. Somehow, I think all of you fuckers should chip in to pay for the new one, but I digress.

The new MBPs are so fucking expensive, I decided to drive an hour to DE and buy it there, since there is no sales tax in that state. That saved me around $225. Which is a good thing, since the cocksuckers at Apple changed out all the ports to USB-C. None of my cables will work and I had to buy new ones. I'm still $200 to the good, less gas and time.

Plus, there is a Costco in the same shopping center and unlike in PA, they sell liquor. So, I always fill up the trunk with wine and spirits when I go down to DE.

Here's the new MBP.... I had to sell an arm & a leg to pay for it...

And, here is a 1.5L bottle of Kirkland vodka (rebranded Grey Goose), that I paid $12.99. Yes, it's ¼ of the price. The 1.5L bottles are about $50 in my home state.... sorry for the shit picture, the countertops are not in yet - LOL

View attachment 441829
steve ,that is priceless! :rofl:

enjoy!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kirkland Whiskey is my favorite. less than 1/2 the price of Crown

Check it out.... you'll find out that almost all of the Kirkland brand liquor is "white labeled" from a pretty damn good brand. It's the exact same thing that goes into "name labeled" bottles. They even hint at it with the vodka bottle looking very similar to the original. The contents are exactly the same, though.

My wife and daughters enjoy a l'il pedestrian white... Santa Margherita pinot grigio. At $5.99/bottle, it's less than half the price at the retail stores. This is not white labeled, it's the the genuine article. I bought two cases. And, the Cab we guzzle is Louis Martini: $6.99 vs. $19.00. Again, two cases.

It's funny to see people lined up with the Costco sized shopping carts filled with booze. As we waited in line, they were ringing up an average of $300/person.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check it out.... you'll find out that almost all of the Kirkland brand liquor is "white labeled" from a pretty damn good brand. It's the exact same thing that goes into "name labeled" bottles. They even hint at it with the vodka bottle looking very similar to the original. The contents are exactly the same, though.

My wife and daughters enjoy a l'il pedestrian white... Santa Margherita pinot grigio. At $5.99/bottle, it's less than half the price at the retail stores. This is not white labeled, it's the the genuine article. I bought two cases. And, the Cab we guzzle is Louis Martini: $6.99 vs. $19.00. Again, two cases.

It's funny to see people lined up with the Costco sized shopping carts filled with booze. As we waited in line, they were ringing up an average of $300/person.
so COST is a safe investment?

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, as it turns out, Office for Mac 2011 will not run on Mac OS Catalina or beyond, meaning my copy is now worthless. I had two options, buy the Office365 subscription for $70/year, or buy Office for Mac 2019 (home & student) for $129. That was a no brainer... one & done. But, another chunk of cash down the drain! Fuck!

After using the new MBP for a day and a half, I think I really like the new features. The menu bar that switches on an application by application basis is very cool. I have not yet figured out if it is customizable. But, I do like it.

Fingerprint password is nice. I haven't explored it much beyond logging into the computer itself, but I'll check it out in more detail over the next few days.

The nice big 16" Retina TruTone display is fucking awesome. I'm a video snob and this MBP display rivals my OLED TV.

And, while I heard many complaints about the redesigned keyboard (key feel and action), I love it. I'm not a super fast typist, but I can haul ass on this keyboard.... it plays like buttah!

Oh, and man o man - The 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor just flat out screams!

I loaded up a 16 track Reaper file and the performance is an order of magnitude better than on my previous MBP. It's smooth and responsive.

It also rendered a 3.6G iMovie file to MP4 in under 20 seconds. Amazing. That took every bit of 6 minutes on the old one.

This thing is the Ferrari of Mac. LOL :rofl:

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
so COST is a safe investment?

Oh man, retail... I hate retail. But, this stock has been climbing for several years. I do like that it pays a dividend, but at <1%, you can do better with less risk. And, at +$320/share, it's a pricey acquisition.

Probably pretty safe, for retail. Dunno. I really hate retail. So, I'm jaded. I have some TGT and WMT that I have had for a while, but they are for the dividends.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya... my boss used to have a Rolex.
I used to give him shit because my Invicta was rock solid and his Rolex was always going back to the shop because it was.....

Slow.

LOL... we don't wear Rolex watches to keep perfect time. A $10 Casio will do a better job.

All good mechanical/automatic watches require periodic maintenance; it's the price of admission.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

"American Vodka"... Rebranded French Grey Goose Vodka.
;)

The Holy World of Marketing!

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tito's for martini.

Almost anything else if you are mixing it. Don't waste your money.

Latest Threads