Nitro over poly?

dancsgrv

Reaction score
This is a question for you guitar builders. I'm refinishing my kit built T style guitar with nitro. The neck is a Mighty Mite finished in poly. I'm bursting the body and would like to burst the neck where it meets the body. Do I have to worry about the two finishes reacting if I sprat the nitro on the poly?

hbucker

Reaction score
Because of the two different finishes I would say there are no guarantees. And you should expect something to not work quite right... For all of the lore of how fabulous nitro is for guitars, it is comparatively a total pain compared to poly.

I would suggest, since the neck is already finished in poly, overcoat it in poly with your new project. Nitro will serve ZERO purpose in finishing the neck over existing poly with nitro. If you want to do the bare body in nitro, I get it. But there is nothing other than $4 or so keeping you from maintaining the neck consistent with itself by buying a rattle can of poly for the neck portion of your project.

Otherwise, completely strip the neck. Spray it with nitro also. And be extremely patient as you wait for it to cure... I really don't think this is necessary though.

Good luck!

Reaction score
For decades, Fender sprayed nitro over poly. Reranch encourages spraying nitro over poly finished guitars instead of stripping them down to bare wood.

But your idea of bursting just the heel of a poly neck is problematic. Nitro doesn't melt into poly, and it won't stick well to glossy poly. You have to scuff sand poly to give it a little "tooth" for the nitro to stick to.

Better approach would be to scuff sand the entire back of the neck, spray the burst, then topcoat the entire back of the neck with clear nitro.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I researched this question myself. The answer I found is that you can put nitro over poly if you put down some BIN shellac over the poly first.

endial

Reaction score
I researched this question myself. The answer I found is that you can put nitro over poly if you put down some BIN shellac over the poly first.
I'd scuff it for teeth as well, prior the dewaxed shellac undercoat.

Latest Threads