Nitro lacquer finish damage= Wood damage?

Gibsonclassic2001

Reaction score
Nitro lacquer finish damage.

Didn't find what I was looking for with the search function.

I got some nitro finish damage on one of my Gibson guitars.
The dealer probably had it hanging to long that the process had started before I bought it.
I always keep em in their cases.

The nitro finish damage doesn't bother me.

I used some 000 steel wool and just removed that sticky surface on the neck were the stand had been.
I'm going to keep an eye on the blemish and see if it will continue to change or if the finish feels soft.
Right now its dry! :)
Now its not worse then any other ding on this 5k guitar. ;)

But the Gibson warning in the FAQ also mention that it eat into the wood.
Ok?

Does anyone know of a guitar that lost playability due to this?
And please explain the process of it and wood damage.

Don't care about the lacquer or finish.
Its the wood I'm worried about.

Arthur

Reaction score
I would take it straight back to the shop, and ask if they can do anything about it. If not call gibson.

Guitars:
'09 Billie Joe Les Paul Junior Classic White
'08 Epiphone G400 Ebony
Amps:
Marshall DSL 401 JCM 2000
Marshall MG15CD
Pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95Q
Digitech DigiDelay

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The wood will be fine! It's the chemicals in the "rubber" of the stand reacting to the chemicals in the nitro-lacquer that cause the "eating away" of the finish.

The wood may become stained if the damage goes all the way through the finish, but that's about it.

I would take it straight back to the shop, and ask if they can do anything about it. If not call gibson.
There's no point in calling Gibson as they will just blame it on the shop. The warranty clearly states that they (Gibson) are not responsible for finish damage.

The best thing to do would be to take it back to the shop and either try and get them to fix it (for free), or replace the guitar.

Gibsonclassic2001

Reaction score
Thanks rockstar232007

I dont care about the finish so i will propably not do any repair work on this particular guitar. :)

As long as its functional and perform as it should and the wood is "ok" but stained.

I will take some pictures for the MLP archives.
And if the damage become larger i will report.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Thanks rockstar232007

I dont care about the finish so i will propably not do any repair work on this particular guitar. :)

As long as its functional and perform as it should and the wood is "ok" but stained.

I will take some pictures for the MLP archives.
And if the damage become larger i will report.

yeah lets see some pictures.

I wouldnt worry about it, the wood is 100% save

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
The wood will be fine! It's the chemicals in the "rubber" of the stand reacting to the chemicals in the nitro-lacquer that cause the "eating away" of the finish.

The wood may become stained if the damage goes all the way through the finish, but that's about it.

There's no point in calling Gibson as they will just blame it on the shop. The warranty clearly states that they (Gibson) are not responsible for finish damage.

The best thing to do would be to take it back to the shop and either try and get them to fix it (for free), or replace the guitar.

It may still benefit you to raise the issue with the shop. You may be treated to other compensation such as free servicing or a discount on your next purchase.

Latest Threads