Nitro Chip “Reinstallation”?

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My thin skin tele had a chip about the size of a raisin come out when it was dinged. I actually found the chip - is there anyway of putting it back that isn’t going to look like utter dogshit?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If it's Nitro for sure a competent luthier can "melt" it back in place.
But I wouldn't know exactly how.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I predict no reasonable chance of successful reattachment. It's a battle scar. Just live with it.

To attempt to melt it back into place virtually guarantees that the damaged finish area will end up bigger and uglier than just a chip out of it.

If you really must attempt it, I'd do it by dropping lacquer thinner on the exposed wood and laying the chip down on the lacquer thinner drops, and then apply more drops on top of it. That should melt it in place. With more luck than I believe I usually have at my disposal, it might even look halfway decent. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: Who

shark

Reaction score
i fixed a PRS chip with superglue. then smoothed it out with polishing compound and my finger..I did get a blister :)

Reactions: Who

smk506

Reaction score
Anytime we’re talking about finish damage a picture/s will be worth 1000 words. Any chance of getting a few OP?

Kennoyce

Reaction score

If you really must attempt it, I'd do it by dropping lacquer thinner on the exposed wood and laying the chip down on the lacquer thinner drops, and then apply more drops on top of it. That should melt it in place...

I've done exactly this once in the past with reasonable success. The repair isn't flawless, but you have to be within about a foot of it to be able to pick it out.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Hey guys, it is a chip of solid color - vintage white.

I think I’m just going to deal with it… I’ll bring some pics to the equation and decide based on additional feedback.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas

Latest Threads