Nine Inch Nails Destroys $160,000 worth of Les Pauls

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I think most know this by now, it’s been covered enough.

That's the only one I know - and I only know it because, while when Reznor did it it was a piece of self-indulgent, flatulent drivel, the inimitable Mr. JR Cash (as was his wont) turned it into art.

moreles

Reaction score
Maybe they had the fit and finish flaws that forum posters get so outraged about. But more seriously, what a tired, cliche stage move.

NINFNM

Reaction score
That's the only one I know - and I only know it because, while when Reznor did it it was a piece of self-indulgent, flatulent drivel, the inimitable Mr. JR Cash (as was his wont) turned it into art.

I couldn't disagree more. The original has all the power and intensity that Cash's version lacks, which is listless and languid.
Reznor is one of the greatest geniuses of recent times

Last edited:

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
I’ve never seen the point of stage histrionics and guitar smashing. It always seemed like self-indulgent BS to me.

I totally get the fact that it’s their money and they can do what they want to deliver their show but I have every sympathy with kids working hard to save enough to buy a decent axe who watch perfectly good instruments being destroyed for no really good reason.

bum

Reaction score
Someone can go from literal rock god to pouty child in my eyes by smashing a guitar up on stage.
I've always felt that way, it just looks absolutely ridiculous to me, not rock n roll, not rebellious, just a child having a tantrum.
I mean, look at this: (warning, tantrum includes bad language)

Look at it

Just massively entitled, childish and ultimately wasteful, what a twat.

Johnny Znuff

Reaction score
Someone can go from literal rock god to pouty child in my eyes by smashing a guitar up on stage.
I've always felt that way, it just looks absolutely ridiculous to me, not rock n roll, not rebellious, just a child having a tantrum.
I mean, look at this: (warning, tantrum includes bad language)

Look at it

Just massively entitled, childish and ultimately wasteful, what a twat.
Agree wholeheartedly, but thankfully, that old Junior was restored…

IGRocker

Reaction score
Man I love watching the old fogies lose their collective $#!+. I would smash a guitar valued at around $100 (assuming I ever would do it to begin with). These were just props for a show. I’m sure that tour brought in millions in revenue between ticket sales and merch. Besides, have any of you tried to convince a city board that pyrotechnics in a tight area with a crowd of people nearby is a great idea? Y’all need to lighten up a bit.
1630672338190.gif

Last edited:

Johnny Znuff

Reaction score
I don’t know if anyone here is a NASCAR fan…. But some years ago, Kyle Busch was presented with a custom-painted Les Paul for winning the race at Nashville, which he promptly smashed, a la Paul Stanley. Many people dislike Kyle Busch for different reasons, but I dislike him for that!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coudn't disagree more. The original has all the power and intensity the Cash's version lacks, which unwilling and listless.
Reznor is one of the biggest genious of the last times.
Ask Mr Reznor what he thought of Mr Cash's world weary take. I believe he said that Johnny Cash just stole his song.

Cory

Reaction score
Trent is an amazing musician/artist - I can understand why some people on here wouldn’t like him (I’m sure I won’t like/understand my kids music someday either), but for someone who is now getting into their upper 30’s in age and grew up in the 90’s, NIN is one of my absolute favorites - I mean you guys do understand that this article is discussing something from like 25 years ago right?

Rwill682

Reaction score
they were "DEMO" guitars :)
That's right! I've seen them several times including including up close and personal with the guitars that were smashed. They were not actual less Paul's they were brought specifically for that purpose.

nopea

Reaction score
Yeah, I never got the 'destroy my instrument to look cool' thing either. Maybe the guitars sounded better while being smashed then when they were being played, here is looking at you Mr. Cobain :p

bentfinger

Reaction score
Having seen the Who do all this stuff in our local hall in the 60s it meant something revolutionary to us but to see 9inch do it now it is so naff and uncool. Like showing off their wealth. Give up boys it's so uncool.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Huh, so not too many NIN fans on this Forum. This was one of those soundtrack to my life bands, coming up in the late 90's/early 2000's. The Downward Spiral tour was like 94', and it was legendary for its gear trashing. Trent was an angry dude in those days...lol He threw a piece of drum kit at the drummer (by accident) and the drummer got a giant gash on his scalp, dude kept playing. It's all documented on the VHS 'Closure'. The most dangerous bit was he would throw these (non-weight reliefed) Les Pauls 20+ feet into the air and just let them crash down. Imagine it comes down straight on your head? Remember that time Chris Noveselic kncockd himself out with his own bass? lol yeah...good times....

Latest Threads