Nightmare: 2 of 3 amps die within minutes of each other

NYC LP player

Reaction score
JTM45 dies out while testing a new pedal I built. Tubes still lit but dead silent. Fuse intact. Pulled inst cable and no sound so definitely IN the amp. F**k. Roll 12ax7 - nope, swap rect, nope, try other power tubes that I believe work, nope. Oh well still have my Super Reverb and Deluxe till I can dig in.

Hmmmm let me try the rect in my Super. Flip swicth.....no light no nothing. Sh*t.

So either both amps got mad at the same time or the gz34 from the JTM might have done something that now cause the Super to not even power up even with its trusty rect in it.

And of course for some reason the JTM45 was sounding extra awesome last night. Super glassy and defined to the point I was wondering why I was bother building pedals.

Send your thoughts and prayers

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Pulled inst cable and no sound so definitely IN the amp

For kicks do you have another speaker cab and cable to try?
Could be dead behind the amp and the symptoms would be the same...

Does it have a headphone out? That could narrow it down to pre or output stage....

So would an effects loop. You could plug something into the return to tickle the power amp...

Hate to think its a transformer... might explain the sonic difference you heard before it crapped out....

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And of course for some reason the JTM45 was sounding extra awesome last night. Super glassy and defined to the point I was wondering why I was bother building pedals.

This may not be a coincidence. Perhaps the bias or a power tube was drifting. If a power tube start running hot it will sound spectacular until it red-plates and goes nuclear.

I don't know how the JTM45 is put together, but if it has an HT fuse, it's possible it blew to save the tubes.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
YAY!!!!!

1 down 1 to go.

My guess either I flipped the switches badly on the Super or the rectifier from the jtm45, which I tired in my Super, is bad.

Report back soon.

kiko

Reaction score
Ah the joys of owning a tube amp! I feel your pain! :(

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Ah the joys of owning a tube amp! I feel your pain! :(

So much easier with the SS amps Ive own....you just toss them in the trash and get another :rofl:

JK I love all amps.....mine are just mad because Ive been spending so much time on pedal builds instead of playing.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Ok both amps had fuses blown and now seem to be running fine. Down to one issue which I guess could be the culprit.

So my switcher and my klon have not been getting along. There was a tiny whine from the bass notes when using one of the isolated channels on the klon. Looking inside I had an extra lt1054ip and swapped out the tc1044s after which everything seemed to be running much better together and no whine.

Well now I get a ton of electrical noise through either isolated channel and none through direct out. Tried the old power chip...same.

Sample

So here are the guts....do you think I fried the tl072ip or did something worse? Grab a fresh trio of original chips? Ill send this to the pedal maker at de Lisle but figured I would clue you guys in.

BlffWe4WEJCoTd0s0xXbOF1MHV7CjYynoBi69gzr5tU98qkz3RB_-gcA1wZYKelz8hB9Oy9U3-k1KQ4UjzFxDDeHZUdWWkWeQ-XCc6d8sT92oBfZj7NhsRLXswPv25K7L5qmCcJts9XRBLUG0Z0bMdLa2ospFMPHktbJcPdiS-pQ0HfyT3KmOG1TUn1w2qvZ0NAbfG9Sm6LYJMzpCcT3cWw-Hw9p7QS2kGgB_L4zXH8wfeQEnAIW8QBZNRsnGPAk_-be-y5XOzbqlxtKHnJ8FywmZvGWREnpCDiuNv_5DB4KHtkhrtSDgS31se21i0Gc24v7GH22R-y4OYZlbV1DwE3xqQUFqMlW5wEFtpO8XJffUDnNGPSTH54iU5Z9EprZpDj72KTY7I8swdtqO-u_CbszygzZ7-Yxbt__Xt-dFOErdF-rZ1cdrt217XK-Y1KqiPfjJEI30lfAkJK-P-uvC7I5yPlKZzQLCbVzImazReU5gtUgWVkjXS5vThXHZOdthXWhoefMFDBBgD3AImicr1ApCpgyPzAEYCmnAxti9A9APZ3xMYAw7VpZKKHe29fZgRp1VdJXhLuufzBjVXHGLUoOb7f2ndKGT9bR7oQR39zEf-r3LulFLv6bWJTDgRecUQZkgtoRmN_L17jxtJ-gRvcQ1bazSnZFUA=w1583-h890-no

irocdave12

Reaction score
YAY!!!!!

1 down 1 to go.

My guess either I flipped the switches badly on the Super or the rectifier from the jtm45, which I tired in my Super, is bad.

Report back soon.
I've gotta ask...how does one go about getting two perfect holes on the front of amp like that's? Worlds largest Bigsby? Call Joe B tell him you got the snakebite amp to go with the guitar lol

sonar

Reaction score
So much easier with the SS amps Ive own....you just toss them in the trash and get another

Ha!

Our Bass player is going through all types of problems with his SS backline lately.

Meanwhile my tubers are running mean and clean.

Latest Threads