N'IEM'D

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Sounds cool. I would always be worried about Ipad glitches, but I guess since you are using it, there is proven stability in the way it operates.
We run the X18 box off of a laptop and we just use iPads and smartphones to adjust our own personal monitor mix. That said, a laptop could go tits up, but the X18 keeps working with whatever mix we have running. And then, the bass players iPad can be used to take over as the main controller.
Knock wood, it works well for us, but it’s taken a while and the odd feud to get it right. Now that we’re past the main learning curve, I gotta admit it’s a good piece of kit. @Freddy G is using the premium version of the X18, I’d be interested to hear his thoughts on these units.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I'm either getting some Westone UM Pro 20's (I think I can snag a pair at about half price) or I may just save up and spring for some JH Audio JH-5's and get some custom ear molds, we'll see!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'm either getting some Westone UM Pro 20's (I think I can snag a pair at about half price) or I may just save up and spring for some JH Audio JH-5's and get some custom ear molds, we'll see!
Dude, you're the real deal and should get the very best. FWIW, the Sound On Sound review of the Mackies made me pull the trigger. My lead is getting customs, but also bought the same pair I have for a backup and is thrilled with the fit and sound.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Dude, you're the real deal and should get the very best. FWIW, the Sound On Sound review of the Mackies made me pull the trigger. My lead is getting customs, but also bought the same pair I have for a backup and is thrilled with the fit and sound.

Nice! I'll have to check those out too. I was thinking of snagging the Westones for now and then get the JH-5's later and keeping the Westones as backup. Only using IEM's for rehearsals at the moment, but they'll make our way into our live setup eventually.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We run the X18 box off of a laptop and we just use iPads and smartphones to adjust our own personal monitor mix. That said, a laptop could go tits up, but the X18 keeps working with whatever mix we have running. And then, the bass players iPad can be used to take over as the main controller.
Knock wood, it works well for us, but it’s taken a while and the odd feud to get it right. Now that we’re past the main learning curve, I gotta admit it’s a good piece of kit. @Freddy G is using the premium version of the X18, I’d be interested to hear his thoughts on these units.
Yeah, I'm using the Midas MR18. Love it! I record the band rehearsal in multitrack. Then I take the MR18 into the studio and using the "virtual soundcheck" method I play back the recorded multitracks and mix them back through the Midas and then save it. Awesome!
Now we're getting into stuff that's sequenced, where the drummer plays to a click....this opens up a whole world of automation possibilities. I can change effects, levels, scenes on the mixer etc....all embedded into the sequencer via midi. Everything happens automatically. We are in a golden age for high quality, low cost total recall mixing.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using the Midas MR18. Love it! I record the band rehearsal in multitrack. Then I take the MR18 into the studio and using the "virtual soundcheck" method I play back the recorded multitracks and mix them back through the Midas and then save it. Awesome!
Now we're getting into stuff that's sequenced, where the drummer plays to a click....this opens up a whole world of automation possibilities. I can change effects, levels, scenes on the mixer etc....all embedded into the sequencer via midi. Everything happens automatically. We are in a golden age for high quality, low cost total recall mixing.
That's cool, I'm sure you are getting some great use out of it. We've only scratched the surface with what we can do with the Behringer. It looks identical to the Midas, but I'm sure the MR has some finer parts under the hood. Lexus vs. Toyota.

Can you load IR's into the master program on the MR18?

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's cool, I'm sure you are getting some great use out of it. We've only scratched the surface with what we can do with the Behringer. It looks identical to the Midas, but I'm sure the MR has some finer parts under the hood. Lexus vs. Toyota.

Can you load IR's into the master program on the MR18?
IRs? I don't think so. IRs of what?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
IRs? I don't think so. IRs of what?
I play my Orange through a Two Notes Torpedo Captor. It has an analog cab sim that sounds great. However, Two Notes has the excellent Wall Of Sound plugin with different IRs for cabs. It's designed to work within a DAW (I use garageband for simplicity), but I don't know if the Behringer or Midas is designed to use other software.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I play my Orange through a Two Notes Torpedo Captor. It has an analog cab sim that sounds great. However, Two Notes has the excellent Wall Of Sound plugin with different IRs for cabs. It's designed to work within a DAW (I use garageband for simplicity), but I don't know if the Behringer or Midas is designed to use other software.
Oh I see.
No I don't think so. It would be a matter of running a DAW in real time into the mixer....same as what I'm doing with using it as a sequencer. And yes I'm cheating by adding a few audio things in the can here and there.

rxbandit

Reaction score

Ended up winning an Ebay auction for new but unused Westone UM Pro 20's IEMs for $125, new they're $300 so got a hell of a discount. Looking forward to trying em out at practice next week!

If/when we start going IEMs for live I'll likely get some custom molded ones, but for now theses should be excellent.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Ended up winning an Ebay auction for new but unused Westone UM Pro 20's IEMs for $125, new they're $300 so got a hell of a discount. Looking forward to trying em out at practice next week!

If/when we start going IEMs for live I'll likely get some custom molded ones, but for now theses should be excellent.
Excellent! Are you on vocals? That has been the biggest advantage for me. I can get vocal headroom for days with no feedback!

rxbandit

Reaction score
Excellent! Are you on vocals? That has been the biggest advantage for me. I can get vocal headroom for days with no feedback!
Yup, doing some backup vox now. Definitely looking forward to that, wouldn't call myself a great singer by any means so I can use all the help I can get lol

redking

Reaction score
The Captor is a good, cost effective unit, and having only the one IR is probably the only drawback for using it this way. I'm thinking of upgrading my Suhr Reactive load to the Reactive Load IR, so that I can get rid of one "box" from my signal chain (The Two Notes CAB) which houses my IR's. I'm finding that I'm pretty happy with the Celestion stock IR's and don't even use the Two Notes modelling IR's any more.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The Captor is a good, cost effective unit, and having only the one IR is probably the only drawback for using it this way. I'm thinking of upgrading my Suhr Reactive load to the Reactive Load IR, so that I can get rid of one "box" from my signal chain (The Two Notes CAB) which houses my IR's. I'm finding that I'm pretty happy with the Celestion stock IR's and don't even use the Two Notes modelling IR's any more.
It is a neat toy. But I agree, they coulda knocked it outta the park if you could load a few IR's into it. Anyway, I shouldn't worry. I've done fine with just one cabinet, not sure why I need to have ten (hundreds?), just because I can.

rxbandit

Reaction score
It is a neat toy. But I agree, they coulda knocked it outta the park if you could load a few IR's into it. Anyway, I shouldn't worry. I've done fine with just one cabinet, not sure why I need to have ten (hundreds?), just because I can.
They have a product for that called the Torpedo C.A.B. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TorpedoCABM--two-notes-torpedo-cab-m-speaker-simulator-pedal

It doesn't have a load box though unfortunately

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
This has been a revelation for me. It took a while to come around, entirely due to the cost, but finally, Mackie made an excellent set for a reasonable price. Spending $1000 on a set of earphones was just undoable; I can manage the $250 tag on these Mackie's.

Cost aside, what an amazing experience. The biggest change has been with my vocals. I have left the last few rehearsals with my voice intact. Hard to tell right now, because I'm fighting a cold, but I think I'll easily be able to last the night without losing my voice. Also, our three/four part harmonies (like on You Coulda Been A Lady or Van Halen's I'm the One) sound top-notch.

Guitar sounds great too. My 15W Orange sounds just as big and bold as my lead's Mesa Boogie DR. The only downside is I miss using feedback for parts where I want to push some dissonance or just let a low, growly drop D tone drone on while the band builds up an intro, such as when we cover Wolfmother's Joker and the Thief.

Aside from that, it has been just an excellent way to jam live. No mics on the floor, except for vocal mics, but I can now crank the mic gain and nearly whisper my lines. This has been a boon for when we cover Smashing Pumpkins Cherub Rock. Getting Billy Corgan's soft to hard vocal effect is much easier.

Obvious benefit is I'm saving my hearing from furtherdamage. I already have a bit of tinnitus in my left ear. However, I leave rehearsal with next to no ringing (damn, I don't miss the crashing of cymbals-ten feet from my ears). I can even rehearse on a weeknight and easily come home and sleep without that damn ringing.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Used the Westone UM Pro 20's last night at practice, sounded great. They can get seriously loud, had them probably at 20% and it was plenty.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Used the Westone UM Pro 20's last night at practice, sounded great. They can get seriously loud, had them probably at 20% and it was plenty.
Right on! Hard to see going back to blasting floor wedges and screaming loud amps, eh?