N'IEM'D

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Pretty much settled on the Mackie MP-240: Dual Hybrid Driver set. From all I can see that doesn't involve brand names on Amazon that I've never heard of, these top for both my budget and apparent positive reviews.

Anybody try these?

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
Pretty much settled on the Mackie MP-240: Dual Hybrid Driver set. From all I can see that doesn't involve brand names on Amazon that I've never heard of, these top for both my budget and apparent positive reviews.

Anybody try these?
Looking forward to your review - I'm too late to the party apparently, but I heard about an audiology company making IEM's a while back - Stealth Sonics https://www.stealthsonics.com/index.php

They have a wide price range in their products from standard fit models to custom molded.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Looking forward to your review - I'm too late to the party apparently, but I heard about an audiology company making IEM's a while back - Stealth Sonics https://www.stealthsonics.com/index.php

They have a wide price range in their products from standard fit models to custom molded.
Look great, maybe next time around. They end up being a lot more expensive, even the starter set.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Look great, maybe next time around. They end up being a lot more expensive, even the starter set.
I'm looking at some for myself as well. Alclair seems to be a well reviewed very reasonably priced custom molded IEM. I wouldn't even consider ones that were not custom molded.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I'm looking at some for myself as well. Alclair seems to be a well reviewed very reasonably priced custom molded IEM. I wouldn't even consider ones that were not custom molded.
I wish. Now we’re talking serious cash. But you, my friend, deserve the best.

Sound on Sound gave these Mackie’s a rave review. I haven’t seen a negative comment on them yet.:fingersx:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Received my set in today's mail. Nice free shipping from Cosmo Music in a well-packed box. IEM's come with 3X foam, 3X silicone and 3X double-flange tips in various sizes.

I opted to use the foam tips and they squish down like the hardware store hearing protection and fill in the ear canal as they expand. The body of these are well shaped for my ears and don't dig in anywhere in my ear. This is important as I tried a set of Shures and they did irritate after a couple hours of rehearsal. All in all they fit comfortably as well as nice and snug. The foam did well to keep noise out and I tested them on my missus and could not hear her delightful voice at talking level.

The sound while listening to songs on my iPhone was excellent, and not being too serious an audiophile, likely the best sounding earphones I've ever heard. Listened to a few tracks by Nine Inch Nails, LCD Soundsystem, Ministry and for kicks, Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield to get a full spectrum of sound. What can I say? Everything sounds better than any headset I've tried. I was chilling on the Mike Oldfield and could not hear my missus calling, in a voice that i could tell was nearing DEFCON 2.

So ends this part of the review, will come back later with more thoughts after I try these with my guitar rig.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Let us know what you think of these in a band setting. That's the real test....uncompressed dynamics will be a lot different than the smashed recorded tracks you've listened to.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Let us know what you think of these in a band setting. That's the real test....uncompressed dynamics will be a lot different than the smashed recorded tracks you've listened to.
I'll be testing this at rehearsal tomorrow...should be ready to rock with a belly full of bird and stuffing! I do get what you're saying and I'll admit, I don't have much to reference.

I tried one jam with our three piece and was using my drummer's (freshly sanitized) Shure entry level IEM's. I was able to get a stereo mix and it was excellent! I did feel they were digging into my ear after a couple of hours and the isolation wasn't as good as these Mackies.

The second jam was full SweatHogs and I used some cheap AKG in-ear's that came with a mic package. Dunno what happened to the mic. These sucked ass, had no isolation and even worse, I had a mono mix.

I have noticed that I don't feel a need to scream my brains out and my voice is stronger throughout a jam.

We're adding The Real Me, Pump It Up and Little Guitars to our playlist tomorrow, will be spending lots of time trying to get vocals right!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
The Real Me!

I would love to do that song....with a full horn section and all....
Steve, our lead is gonna sing that one, I get to play the capo'd riffs...horns are going to be substituted with something Stevie concocted with his AXE/FX.:cool2:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Rehearsal went well yesterday, we went at it for 4+hours....almost called home to sing 'Beth' to my missus, but remembered we often have a different sense of humour.

That said, 4+ hours is a long time to jam and a long time to have these things stuck in my ears.....but they handled it nicely. Like I said, I don't have a reference point, so my review is pure newb.

The fit is excellent and they stayed in my ears snug and secure. Can't afford wireless, but a Behringer headphone monitor did the trick. I tucked the cord in along side my guitar cable and it didn't get in my way.

The main benefit is that I didn't have to scream my brains out to be heard over the loudest drummer in Central Ontario. My voice stayed with me through the whole jam. Even at the end, where I was fatigued, the recording sounds decent and while my voice was weakened, I was still on the notes. Awesome.

That said, I think I sounded weird, but I've been told that many feel that way. The other guys sounded good, but my voice sounded nasal and kind of hollow, probably from the empty space reverberating in my skull.

I also went without a cab and played my Orange/pedalboard through my Two Notes Torpedo loadbox/amp sim/DI. I did really enjoy the sound of my amp this way, getting a nice clean with lots of headroom and my crunch sounding as tight and gnarly as ever. Bassist/soundguy gave me a stereo mix, and the sound was really good.

I'm now into this and have been resisting for a while. Mostly held back by the price, but these Mackies are affordable on a budget. I would have liked more of the large foam tips, but see that they sell by the half-dozen pairs on amazon.

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
Question - if you are not going to use wireless, then why not just use a pair of Studio Cans?

Well, I'm back. Rehearsal went well yesterday, we went at it for 4+hours....almost called home to sing 'Beth' to my missus, but remembered we often have a different sense of humour.

That said, 4+ hours is a long time to jam and a long time to have these things stuck in my ears.....but they handled it nicely. Like I said, I don't have a reference point, so my review is pure newb.

The fit is excellent and they stayed in my ears snug and secure. Can't afford wireless, but a Behringer headphone monitor did the trick. I tucked the cord in along side my guitar cable and it didn't get in my way.

The main benefit is that I didn't have to scream my brains out to be heard over the loudest drummer in Central Ontario. My voice stayed with me through the whole jam. Even at the end, where I was fatigued, the recording sounds decent and while my voice was weakened, I was still on the notes. Awesome.

That said, I think I sounded weird, but I've been told that many feel that way. The other guys sounded good, but my voice sounded nasal and kind of hollow, probably from the empty space reverberating in my skull.

I also went without a cab and played my Orange/pedalboard through my Two Notes Torpedo loadbox/amp sim/DI. I did really enjoy the sound of my amp this way, getting a nice clean with lots of headroom and my crunch sounding as tight and gnarly as ever. Bassist/soundguy gave me a stereo mix, and the sound was really good.

I'm now into this and have been resisting for a while. Mostly held back by the price, but these Mackies are affordable on a budget. I would have liked more of the large foam tips, but see that they sell by the half-dozen pairs on amazon.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Question - if you are not going to use wireless, then why not just use a pair of Studio Cans?
I do plan to use these at gigs. The Behringer P1 In Ear Monitor Amp is small enough to sit on my board, and I got an extension cable. I looped it through my guitar strap at the lower peg. Hardly noticed the wiring.

redking

Reaction score
I do plan to use these at gigs. The Behringer P1 In Ear Monitor Amp is small enough to sit on my board, and I got an extension cable. I looped it through my guitar strap at the lower peg. Hardly noticed the wiring.
Gotcha - It sounded like this was primarily for rehearsals. Makes sense to try it out as you did first before jumping all the way in with extra costs if you didn't like it.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
BTW, I remember seeing a couple of cool YT vids on building your band's IEM rig

We use a Behringer X18, which I gotta admit is a perfect piece of kit for our needs. But I am truly wired into the board with the Behringer Powerplay P1 in-ear monitor system. It's wired by XLR's. I could clip it to my belt, but I think that would drive me mad. I just use a 1/8" extension cable and have the P1 on my board.

redking

Reaction score
I can't quite picture your setup - what is the signal path? Mixer > P1 via a pair of XLR cables > really long 1/8 cable to IEM's running along your guitar cable? Do you split off from the house PA prior to your X18 Mixer for monitors only? and where do you put it on stage to minimize cable runs?

We use a Behringer X18, which I gotta admit is a perfect piece of kit for our needs. But I am truly wired into the board with the Behringer Powerplay P1 in-ear monitor system. It's wired by XLR's. I could clip it to my belt, but I think that would drive me mad. I just use a 1/8" extension cable and have the P1 on my board.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I can't quite picture your setup - what is the signal path? Mixer > P1 via a pair of XLR cables > really long 1/8 cable to IEM's running along your guitar cable? Do you split off from the house PA prior to your X18 Mixer for monitors only? and where do you put it on stage to minimize cable runs?
Yup, that’s the setup. The X18 is usually tucked in with the drummer, so it’s not a long XLR run. I kept the P1 box near my pedalboard, so I can power it off my pedal power supply.
As for a PA, the majority of our gigs have us doing all the sound. Even when the house has a PA, we connect the mains to the X18. The odd time we get a soundguy, we just use whatever is supplied.

redking

Reaction score
Yup, that’s the setup. The X18 is usually tucked in with the drummer, so it’s not a long XLR run. I kept the P1 box near my pedalboard, so I can power it off my pedal power supply.
As for a PA, the majority of our gigs have us doing all the sound. Even when the house has a PA, we connect the mains to the X18. The odd time we get a soundguy, we just use whatever is supplied.
Sounds cool. I would always be worried about Ipad glitches, but I guess since you are using it, there is proven stability in the way it operates.