Nicknames for "Americans"

redking

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm writing a song and I need a 2 syllable folksy / endearing nickname for an American - particularly an American traveling abroad or who has moved out of the country (in my example to Canada). Something like "Yankee" but Yankee doesn't fit because my character is from California. If it helps with context, its relating to ball players coming to Canada to play in semi-pro baseball leagues in the summer.

I can't really think of anything and I can't find any good suggestions when I do an internet search

thanks!

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm writing a song and I need a 2 syllable folksy / endearing nickname for an American - particularly an American traveling abroad or who has moved out of the country (in my example to Canada). Something like "Yankee" but Yankee doesn't fit because my character is from California. If it helps with context, its relating to ball players coming to Canada to play in semi-pro baseball leagues in the summer.

I can't really think of anything and I can't find any good suggestions when I do an internet search

thanks!
Does your character have to come from the Northeastern United States? Typically, "Yankee" is used to refer to such persons... but in many countries throughout the world, the term "Yankee" or more often just "Yank" is used to denote pretty much anybody from the United States.

In countries south of the US border, the term is Yanqui... and they don't care if you were born in the Okefenokee Swamp on the birth date of Jefferson Davis, you are still a yanqui to them.

An endearing name for US citizens? Yeesh, not sure if there is one.

--R

Last edited:

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
bush leaguers
D-leaguers
scrubs
baseball or b-ball de-gens

I played a little scrub league ball (that is what we called it) back in WI in my early 20s, before I headed west to Colorado.

Played in the Shoreland League for the Branch Blaze. We were sponsored by a volunteer fire department.

Good times!

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Many refer to them as "septics"... rhyming slang - septic tank rhymes with yank.
Two syllables too... with many potential rhymes (we'll not go in to here...)

redking

Reaction score
Does your character have to come from the Northeastern United States? Typically, "Yankee" is used to refer to such persons... but in many countries throughout the world, the term "Yankee" or more often just "Yank" is used to denote pretty much anybody from the United States.

In countries south of the US border, the term is Yanqui... and they don't care if you were born in the Okefenokee Swamp on the birth date of Jefferson Davis, you are still a yanqui to them.

An endearing name for US citizens? Yeesh, not sure if there is one.

--R
The character is loosely based on my cousin-in-law from California so Yankee doesn't seem to fit. He came up here as a draft dodger and met my cousin and married her and took her back to California. (Right now I'm using "dodger" as a placeholder but I don't want to be insulting lol)

Latest Threads