Nicknames and the people who bestow them

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a new guy who was always asking about a nickname in an effort to be one of the guys, which of course was a terrible idea. So to this day we call him F.U.N.G.U.S., which stands for F*ck U New Guy U Suck.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, there was a guy like that in basic training. :laugh2:

He called himself "The Governor", and he carried on precisely as Squeeze did-- same speech mannerisms and all.

One time he was attempting to enforce his thing with "The Governor" as he spoke to me-- tried to correct me into referring to him as he wished. I asked him if he minded if I just called him "The" for short.

He wasn't amused.

--R :D

When he attempted to correct you, you should have told him to "govern this"..

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nicknames should never, ever be requested for one's self, as mentioned a few times in this thread already.

It is a paved path to failure.

A nickname is either bestowed as a common work-name or position reference (as in my case with "LT"); "Hey "Top", where's 2nd platoon?", "Need more 4X6's? Go ask the "Super", "Coach", are we still going to run bleachers if it's raining?" Which may carry on through much of the subject's life, out of pure habit or familiarity.

Or it may be bestowed by others and stick, for one reason or another, good reason or bad, affectionate or not.

But you don't asked to be called something. That's not your place to do so.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
There are more than those examples. I just thought it's interesting that I somehow have the power to give nicknames that genuinely stick in everyday life, that people actually use years later! Anyone else have this strange gift, or know someone who does?

The only nick I ever gave that stuck, to my knowledge, was also from my own days in the Air Force.

See, after duty hours, we firefighters stayed at the station free to do as we would so long as we were near our gear and the truck. So at my station (and probably many others), there came the habit of some of us gathering out in front of the station for a cig or three and a proper BS session.

Well, not long after I came back from Desert Storm, we had two new airmen assigned to our station. And it was a ritual in the fire service that you'd break a rookie down (lord knows they did that to me, sure), and so these two, when they wandered out to our BS sessions, they got the business -- a good verbal rolling, just to see how they'd hang.

Tom was an alright guy -- I didn't see eye-to-eye on much with him, but he was affable and we all got along with him. 27 and married, he had the sense to roll with the punches.

Jeff, on the other hand, was hell-bent on confirming how right he was about every goddamned thing, from firefighting to good f**king and all points in between -- so we'd light him up and see how he took it.

He also had one hell of a widow's peak.

One day he was catching the business as usual, and after a comment I had made he lit into me, and in my reply I called him "Eddie Munster", seeing his widow's peak -- maybe something like "get your Eddie Munster ass outta here, kid".

It stuck, and spread, and us guys in the house called him "Eddie" even after he'd earnt his place on the team.

Last edited:

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I lived near a guy like Skeeter for about a year back in the '70s. He was fond of drinking and smoking pot. One day he decided to polish his '62 Ford Fairlane, so he got out the paste wax and the applicator and proceeded to rub wax all over the car in small swirls.
About a half hour later he buffed out about half the car then wandered off to do something else.

For the remaining 8 months that I lived there that Fairlane remained half waxed so he became "half wax" and all the neighbors started calling him that.

A lot of nicknames I give for people around town stick, with others using them as well.

One case is this woman I've named "Mother of the Year" for her slovenly appearance and absolute failure as a mother. There much to it that I won't bother with, but suffice to say it was appropriate.

Skeeter's daughter, with her one tooth hanging down I named "Pop-a-top" for her appearance as a human bottle-opener. Now, last year she lost that last, stubborn tooth.

But the name has stuck. And no, I don't feel bad about nicknaming her and it sticking. She is wretched and problem-causing, from false 911 calls to CPS false reporting, Adult Services calls that were vindictive and without a shred of truth, spreading bald-faced lies about people, etc. She is a thoroughly bad person, and the sole source for much that is wrong on our street. To hell with her. ..And her damn toof.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
My name is Erik, but there are those who call me.... Erik.
My mom gave it to me when I was born, and I guess it just stuck.
Believe me....
I've been called a lot worse.
;)

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also have this Vietnamese dude named Nguyen. Well, it was this guy's bad fortune that some of the dumbasses around here used to honestly attempt to pronounce his name phonetically, and it ended up sounding something like "Newgen", which was close enough to "Nugent" for everyone to still call this guy Ted twelve goddamn years later.

mdubya

Reaction score
When I was a teenager, everyone in my extended crew was bestowed with a nickname. It was a little funny to find out as we got older that some really didn't like their nicknames, to the point of insisting they not be called that name anymore.

On the other hand, lots of people on the fringes of our cast of characters desperately wanted to be a part of it and gave themselves their own nicknames. As Lt. Dave points out, they really didn't get it.

My real name is Mike. As an adult, of course, there are dozens and dozens of Mikes. One email group I was a part of had a guy who would distinguish himself as "Mike C." So I started signing off as Mike W. Then it became MC and MW. I referred to that Mike as MC, endearingly, for ages, still do. Eventually, during the GWB era, I started signing off as M Dubya. That one stuck. Not so much by my insistence as by others choosing to call me dubya or mdub outside of the email list.

My two best friends are old dirty DP and Bobby Bones, nicknamed characters of themselves that they earned. :cheers:

It's not hard to get into the inner circle to meet these characters that only truly come into full bloom in the inner circle, but not everyone gets to see that side of our characters.

At 51, I still have friends' mothers that call me by my teenage nickname, old girlfriends who would never, ever, call me Mike, and who have no idea who or what mdubya is. :lol:

RichBrew

Reaction score
Everyone on the Technical Graphics course at art college (all 13 of us), had nicknames.

They were: J.B.; Elmo the Mighty; Rupert (the bear); Shirley Temple; Man in a Suitcase or McGill ; Annie (Oakley); Mollusc; Goody #1 and Goody #2; Eric (me); Jim the Red; Willy Shakespeare and Biggles.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
25 years ago i showed up,first day of work at the new warehouse.one of the guys saw me,long hair,etc. and turned to his buddy and said"he looks like an axe murderer" 25 years on,hair is cut,im still axman.my wife has called the company once and asked for me by real name"we have no one here by that name" she said how about axman"oh yeah,let me get him for you"we have new guys here that theorize that my real name is mike(its not).

45WinMag

Reaction score
By the end of OCS, just about everybody has a nickname bestowed by the DIs. I got mine early due to a roster that didn't list my name correctly. Our DI was going down the list of names, which were listed as Last name, First name Middle Initial. When he got to mine, it was listed as Last name, B. (the printout left off my first name). The DI said "B? What the hell is just B? B's gotta stand for something." Then just off the top of his head, he blurted out "Buckethead." So I was Buckethead for the duration of OCS, with my nickname awarded before the DI even knew who I was. I actually felt pretty fortunate, most nicknames were the result of doing something stupid. However Buckethead was immediately doing pushups for not having the common courtesy to have a first name.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first name is Michael and for the last 30 years or so I have pretty much been called Mikey by everyone who knows me.

Thanks to this little punk..

11667600.jpg

Growing up on our street we had a few mike's and I was always called Big Mike because I was older..

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
The most innocuous event gave me the nickname Elwood. Early in 10th grade (1981), on the school bus, and a girl asked my buddy Chris what his middle name was. His answer was Christopher. She asked what his first name was. He answered Robert. For some dumb reason, I laughed. He turned and looked at me and said, "What? I bet your whole name is Allen Elwood Jackson!" Which it isn't. But Elwood stuck like glue.

About 3 days later, my stepfather answered the phone, and then said, "Sorry, there is no one here by that name. Must have a wrong number." The phone rang again, same answer. Third time's the charm, and he gets pissed: "Look young lady, there ain't no damned Elwood here!" I jumped up and said, "That's me! Gimme the phone!" That's how my family found out I was Elwood.

The company I work for has 5 locations in Richmond. I noticed a name in the computer that had to be a guy I went to high school with, as his name is not a common name. He came into my branch about a month later, and I asked if he was the same Chris I thought he was. He was, and I told him we'd gone to high school together, and had even spent some time together working on a mutual friend's car. I introduced myself with my given name, and he looked at me as if to say, Nope, don't know you at all. I said "You probably remember me as Elwood." His eyes lit up, he started grinning, and said "Green Cutlass, Chevy rally's!" which was the car I had and the wheels on it when we were cruising. There are people in Richmond who don't know me as anything but Elwood.

dmvksv

Reaction score
Years ago I worked with a couple of big guys that had perspiration problems. They were the type that would sweat bullets just standing still at normal room tempeture. The first guys last name was Miksal but everyone called him Sweatsal. He transfered and about a year later the other guy came on board. Beause we already had a guy name John, to identify which one you were refering to, the new guy became Sweat John.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
I had a Boss one time and if anyone ever called him "Hey Chief" he would go off on them like a Drill Sargent. My nickname in school was Mercury by the teachers but after school it was gone. Knowing teachers it was probably a drink reference rather than a speed reference. I was pretty quick. Well.. physically.

penguinchit

Reaction score
Back home, I'm Bean because of my Mexican lineage. Our group was pretty much nicknames and last names...You didn't hear real names used too often.

Mule Train

Reaction score
My nickname came was I was ten. We were catching minnows and my best friend got mad and called me Mule. Everybody laughed and it stuck. When we got older and everybody started having kids I became Uncle Guido.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
I was called Weasel all through High School. God knows why... but it stuck... and I mean REALLY stuck. Everyone called me it, even the odd "cool" teacher.

In adult life, not so much. I've been occasionally called McFly (my name being Martin and I play guitar) in real-life amongst mates, but never stuck.

When driving I give plenty of nicknames to other road-users though. I fling out the odd "Div", "Bellend", or a more recent favourite; "W**k-stain". Not everyone seems to appreciate it though :hmm:

Stevie 202

Reaction score
I was skinny as a rail until I was in my 40s.

My buddy started calling me "Skinny", then "Skin-Man", then shortened it to "Skin".

(It's been a while since I resembled that moniker)

Latest Threads