Nickle Bridge & Tailpiece Oxidation

TimberWerks

Reaction score
I'm torn, my nickle bride & tailpiece are starting to oxidize and lose it's shine. Do I keep it as is and let it age or do I polish it ? What do you guys prefer on your guitars? If I polish, what polish do you suggest? I'm leaning towards keeping it as is but curious as to what others do.

20201126_150819.jpg
20201126_150907.jpg

bmb89

Reaction score
I'm torn, my nickle bride & tailpiece are starting to oxidize and lose it's shine. Do I keep it as is and let it age or do I polish it ? What do you guys prefer on your guitars? If I polish, what polish do you suggest? I'm leaning towards keeping it as is but curious as to what others do.

View attachment 502389 View attachment 502390
My vote would be to leave it and let it age, but it’s you’re guitar so it’s up to you!

ARandall

Reaction score
What do you guys prefer on your guitars?
The more important thing is what you want on your guitar. This is only ever a highly personal choice anyhow.
Not only are we strangers whose opinions are irrelevant to you, but by the time you have a dozen posts you'll have the spectrum from vehement yes to no and all points inbetween. So it will be a more confusing situation than before you posted in the first place

Socrates

Reaction score
My 2019 50s Standard bridge and tailpiece completely oxidized within a year...and now look vintage LOL...but I like the look and since I topwrap mine too I am leaving mine as it is..Fortunately these parts arent really expensive so you could always slap on some new ones if you want the new look down the road

MSB

Reaction score
i like nickel for that reason, I wipe mine down from time to time, but my sweat doesn't eat the hardware like some on here, so I use it as a testament I use the thing for what it was designed for.

JMP

Reaction score
Wipe it down with a cotton cloth occasionally. Beyond that, let it age however it’s going to age.

Brek

Reaction score
Years ago I thought everything had to stay shiny and new looking, I remember buying my first les Paul standard in 2003 and the metal tarnishing, I really didn’t like it and would polish it way to often, now, I think it is what is, picking my battles. Lol.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I thought everything had to stay shiny and new looking, I remember buying my first les Paul standard in 2003 and the metal tarnishing, I really didn’t like it and would polish it way to often, now, I think it is what is, picking my battles. Lol.
I prefer it lightly aged.
+1
It's not going to look sparkly new forever.
Even if you keep after it and clean it regularly, if it is used, skin oils are going to cause it to collect dust in crevices that you can't reach, particularly when top-wrapping.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy some metal polish and polish it. Or leave it. Seems pretty straight forward.

smk506

Reaction score
If you leave it, the nickel plating will dull and fade. If you polish it, it will shine up today, but it will ultimately, dull and fade. The more often you use polish, a mild abrasive, the better it will look, but the quicker it will dull and fade. At least in my experience.

If you want always bright and shiny forever, chrome plating is a much better choice imo.

My 17 year old sg special was my main and sometimes only guitar throughout my late teens and early twenties. The chrome shows some use, but it’s still even and shiny all over. I have nickel hardware on a guitar I put together 6-7 years ago that’s starting to dull a bit.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
To my eye, chrome looks too shiny and cheap. Nickel has a soft, mellow look to it. I got an Epiphone LP Standard Plus Top Pro, brand-new in February 2020. I play it about 2-3 times a week, and I wipe it down with a soft cloth after every use. My hands are not sweaty or acidic, and I can already see the nickel-plated parts starting to get dull. I don't think I ever want to use metal polish on it, because polishes are mildly abrasive. I can live with the dulling of the nickel plating.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
1000% let it age. That’s the benefit of nickel over chrome anyway, ie, it ages in such a classy way. 2 of my 3 LPs came with chrome hardware... I’ve replaced them both with nickel (one I aged myself, the other I am letting age naturally).

strayedstrater

Reaction score
I have a nickel tailpiece that I excessively relic'd with muriatic fumes. Heavily grayed, splotchy, more "aged" than any naturally aged piece. A dab of Simichrome on a piece of flannel and it easily hand polished back to a clear mirror finish. Matches a brand new nickel bridge.

So unless the plating has started to blister you can always go back to brand new looking.

The only reason I polished it is because the aging looked fake, and really stood out next to the brand new bridge. I intend to let them naturally age gracefully from here on.

JWH

Reaction score
keep it clean and whiped off after playing before you put it back in the case. make it last as long as possible. a new stainless steel bridge from Philidelphia luthier supply is $109.

Saiko

Reaction score
If you don't like it, put chrome hardware on the guitar, you won't stop the nickel from ultimately aging. I say let it be!

Latest Threads