Nice replacement bell knobs?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new set of gold bell knobs and being particular as I am I would like a set with embossed numbers but they're hard to find.

Gibson's are not embossed. Allparts in some pictures are and in others aren't, I don't really want to take a $40 gamble (have to pay to ship to Canada).

Anyone have any recommendations for a nice set of embossed gold bell knobs? Bonus points if they come with pointers!

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Area ‘59 are correct to vintage and about €31 euro’s I got a set and the look and feel right, web is crazyparts.de. Is this for a standard or a reissue?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Creamtone has Historic correct top-hats with pointers.....but you may have a long wait for delivery.

Philadelphia Luthiers has them but you need to order pointers separate.

EDIT: I just looked at the PLT site and they seem to be out of stock.

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Marks Guitar Loft sells them too ... look real nice

BayouGTR

Reaction score
I found mine on eBay. Branded “True Custom Shop”. Embossed gold knobs, they have the pointers, separately. They were in stock, and delivered yesterday.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Creamtone has Historic correct top-hats with pointers.....but you may have a long wait for delivery.

Philadelphia Luthiers has them but you need to order pointers separate.

EDIT: I just looked at the PLT site and they seem to be out of stock.
I don't like to disparage anybody, so don't take this the wrong way, but I trust this forum and it's members' opinions and they help determine where and how I spend my money.

After doing some reading recently I will not be supporting Creamtone, and if other's are thinking of dropping their hard earned coin on Creamtone gear, well, buyer beware I guess...

There are two sides to every story, but after reading the way he spoke to some of his customers, there's no way in hell I would give that man a dime.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I don't like to disparage anybody, so don't take this the wrong way, but I trust this forum and it's members' opinions and they help determine where and how I spend my money.

After doing some reading recently I will not be supporting Creamtone, and if other's are thinking of dropping their hard earned coin on Creamtone gear, well, buyer beware I guess...

There are two sides to every story, but after reading the way he spoke to some of his customers, there's no way in hell I would give that man a dime.
Agreed. I bought from creamtone in the past and had no problems but at this point with what has been reported I wouldn't suggest buying from him anymore

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Creamtone- ordered from them, very expensive, very long wait, very little to no feedback from them. Of the ones I received, 2 had glue that had oozed out from behind the reflector; I was able to carefully remove it with barely noticeable damage. Considering the price, I would think the QC would be better.

Allparts Philadelphia Luthiers- they carry (at least) 2 different types each in gold and in black- embossed and non-embossed. Sometimes one or more can be out of stock but the wait during COVID was not that long. Customer support will answer you very quickly- my experience has always been same day, mostly same hour. They know their products well and can advise you which knobs are best suited to your needs. There are 2 different subgroups of knobs based on the number of spline grooves in the knob's mounting hole, so the safest thing to do is contact customer support, tell them what your specific guitar model is and they'll let you know which knob version to order. I think pointers are available separately, not expensive.

Gibson- the photo on their website shows the correct vintage knob with the slightly concave smooth reflector, but when I received my order the knobs had a flat reflector with concentric etched texture. $25 down the drain. Bad on Gibson.

*** Apologies, I mistakenly said Allparts above when I meant Philadelphia Luthiers...

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

I totally agree....Lonnie has let his business slide quite a bit.....i have had excellent business with Lonnie in the past... but I have a couple of poor ventures with him too.....he has seemed to continue with poor practices and that is a shame as he does provide some of the most excellent parts.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I ended up getting some knobs from Tone Shapers. They look really good. Just need to find some pointers now.

hamerfan

Reaction score
Creamtone- ordered from them, very expensive, very long wait, very little to no feedback from them. Of the ones I received, 2 had glue that had oozed out from behind the reflector; I was able to carefully remove it with barely noticeable damage. Considering the price, I would think the QC would be better.
The old ones had that glue blob, too. Now your guitar isn't historicly correct anymore! Just sayin'

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
The old ones had that glue blob, too. Now your guitar isn't historicly correct anymore! Just sayin'
Ha-ha-ha.... the only reference I had was my (actual) '67 SG, and "it ain't got no stinkin' glue ooze...."
I think I'll be able to live without the 'historically correct' mistakes!

moreles

Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "embossed." If we're talking about numbers engraved from behind and painted in, I haven't looked in a while but they were everywhere last time I bought eny and the bigger problem was getting something with the right feel and quality of plastic, correct molding (not chintzy, sharp edges) and color. I think I went through 3 sets before nailing it. The supplier was some individual on eBay just moving extra parts. Good luck. As for Creamtone, that makes me sad because they used to be reliable. I woul;d never do business with anyone where delivery is iffy. I'd wait until they get it straightened out, if the do. PLS is great when they have stuff in stock. I think there are shortages due to all of us doing quarantine upgrading.

Latest Threads