Nibs or No Nibs, which do you prefer?

Do you prefer a Gibson with fret nibs or without fret nibs?

• With fret nibs

Votes: 69 52.3%
  • Without fret nibs

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • No preference

Votes: 37 28.0%

• Total voters

Adinol

Reaction score
always thought they looked kinda dumb/cheap - prefer no nibs. Gimme a full honest fret all the way across, thank you.
That was exactly how I felt about it, years ago, when I didn't like nibs. In fact, that was when I was first having opportunities to play real Gibson guitars. The nibs were a surprise.

I recognize that it doesn’t matter but I prefer the nibs. It’s a special touch that Gibson puts on their guitars and I don’t see them anywhere else.
As I understand it, they are a byproduct and not a designed feature. In other words, they didn't come up with the idea of nibs to find a solution how to make a neck more comfortable. They just try to cut production costs and the nibs are a result of that.

And another result of trying to minimize labor hours are Gibson's flat frets. Crowning takes a long time.

zeplin

Reaction score
Never really gave much thought to it. I really have no preference. My LP Standard is my only guitar with them and they look cool but wouldn’t be a dealbreaker if it didn’t.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
That was exactly how I felt about it, years ago, when I didn't like nibs. In fact, that was when I was first having opportunities to play real Gibson guitars. The nibs were a surprise.

As I understand it, they are a byproduct and not a designed feature. In other words, they didn't come up with the idea of nibs to find a solution how to make a neck more comfortable. They just try to cut production costs and the nibs are a result of that.

And another result of trying to minimize labor hours are Gibson's flat frets. Crowning takes a long time.
You have a source on that? Nibs are never recreated bc of the manufacturing cost. When your LP’s frets are done you’re likely only going to find ppl willing to regret it normally with no nibs.

im pretty sure you’re incorrect about nibs being a cost saving measure

sonar1

Reaction score
You have a source on that? Nibs are never recreated bc of the manufacturing cost. When your LP’s frets are done you’re likely only going to find ppl willing to regret it normally with no nibs.

I believe it!
Same reason their acoustic flat-tops have wide neck heels instead of tapered like a Martin.
They tried to say wide was more stable, but it’s also a lot less labor intensive.
Win-win?
Martins are not unstable at all.

jktxs

Reaction score
Not sure if nibs were done only for cost saving (tradition probably plays a big part nowadays), but Gibson have in fact mentioned multiple times that fret over binding is the more costly procedure.

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
Worst I ever saw was a Heritage Kenny Burrell model like a Super 400 that had several layers of binding put on AFTER the frets. No nibs, no under cut. Just extra width of neck and fretboard outside the playing area like 1/16” of extra material stuck on!

Wrench66

Reaction score
I have a studio and a tribute with no binding and a 2014 SG standard with fret over binding. All three play and feel amazing, but I love seeing the grain in the edge of the rosewood fret board. Never owned a guitar with nibs, so I can’t weigh in on that.

mjross

Reaction score
Don’t really care one way or the other if the guitar moves me! But that’s just me.

Adinol

Reaction score

To be honest, it is just my speculation. As a builder and tech I know what it takes to prep the frets for a bound fingerboard and it is easier to cut the binding than to cut the metal.

Ironically, it is easier to do a refret job with no nibs, but it is easier to build a bound guitar neck with nibs and also easier to tool up the production line for nibs.

Adinol

Reaction score
Just like this.....
What kind of guitar is this? First impression is that it's not a Gibson. I'm curious to know what it is. The frets themselves don't look like what we typically see coming out of the Gibson factory.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What kind of guitar is this? First impression is that it's not a Gibson. I'm curious to know what it is. The frets themselves don't look like what we typically see coming out of the Gibson factory.
Gibson made to measure custom shop Les Paul one off. Yes the nibs are completely and utterly perfect in every way without any kind of tooling marks or gaps between the nibs and the frets. It’s marvelous.

Attachments

Adinol

Reaction score
Gibson made to measure custom shop Les Paul one off. Yes the nibs are completely and utterly perfect in every way without any kind of tooling marks or gaps between the nibs and the frets. It’s marvelous.
Wow! It's a beauty.

I'm afraid to ask the next logical question that must be on everyone's mind when they see a guitar like this.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow! It's a beauty.

I'm afraid to ask the next logical question that must be on everyone's mind when they see a guitar like this.
? Am I selling it ?

Not at this time ;)

Adinol

Reaction score
? Am I selling it ?

Not at this time ;)
No, I know you can't sell it. People must be wondering how much it cost you. But I don't want to be nosy, so I didn't ask. But I think many people might be wondering. It's OK, though. It's better to keep it a secret.

What was the turnaround time, though, from order to completion?

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No, I know you can't sell it. People must be wondering how much it cost you. But I don't want to be nosy, so I didn't ask. But I think many people might be wondering. It's OK, though. It's better to keep it a secret.

What was the turnaround time, though, from order to completion?
Oh, I was not being passive aggressive, I thought price was fairly establish on new retail prices. I thought maybe you wondered if it was real. It’s been a long day.

I am the second owner. The person who ordered said it was $6000 with those specs and was selling to get a figured top version of the same thing. Took a year to get it. Made to Measure program at sweetwater. I have the inspection tags in the case. Retail costs of the bit nicer spec Custom Les Pauls are $5299 which is nuts, so it doesn’t surprise me if he paid that much.

I bought it for pretty much the market price of a used but barely used late model regular custom. Pretty much the going rate for a nicer figured R8 on the forum here.

Deftone

Reaction score
No nibs. They serve no purpose other than getting the cork sniffers riled up and the cost of a re-fret to go up. My 2014 Standard came with a bound neck, no nibs.

theycallmegio

Reaction score
No nibs. They serve no purpose other than getting the cork sniffers riled up and the cost of a re-fret to go up. My 2014 Standard came with a bound neck, no nibs.
I grew up poor and like nibs. Am I a corksniffer?

Latest Threads