Nibs or No Nibs, which do you prefer?

Do you prefer a Gibson with fret nibs or without fret nibs?

• With fret nibs

Votes: 69 52.3%
  • Without fret nibs

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • No preference

Votes: 37 28.0%

• Total voters

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care either way really. It plays or it doesn't....

I 'never' buy an instrument with resale in my mind...Guitars are for guitarin'....

Same as with my basses...

So little things to me like nibs, bound neck, etc., I really don't care...

gcbike

Reaction score
I've had plenty with nibs and the strings got stuck in them,then the ones without nibs chew up fingers

dspelman

Reaction score
Nibs take up space on the width of the fretboard, which means that your string spacing will be reduced.
Nibs often separate from the frets, which means that you now have a place for your high E string to drop into, usually while you're playing an extended solo that needs the high E String free.
Nibs often add to cracking on the binding at the nib location.

So for me, the answer is No Nibs.

dspelman

Reaction score
To nib or not to nib....
I like binding but i don't mind it. Some of my nicest gits don't even have binding.
No binding on my custom shop les paul. I don't mis it so nib or no nib.... :dunno:
A lot of guitars (including a lot of current Gibsons) have binding but no nibs.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Nibs!
Don't mind unbound necks without nibs, but I hate bound necks without nibs!

Adinol

Reaction score
I used to have to deal with the issue of the E1 string getting stuck in the small space between the fret end and the nib, on my first LP with bound neck. That was one of the reasons why I initially did not like nibs. But I never had this issue on other Gibson guitars, so it must have been just that guitar (hard to tell, as I no longer have that guitar to check).

In my younger days I also thought nibs looked cheap and thought that they reduced the playable area of the frets. But I've grown to like them, as the neck really feel comfortable and as my playing skills progressed I no longer have the issue of the E1 string slipping off the side of the fret board.

As many others have pointed out, I also prefer the vintage nibs. And also as others have mentioned, I do not like the chunky nibs that feel like little cubes at the end of the board. But I think that's just the result of a factory worker not doing the best job and that issue can easily be fixed by a competent tech or luthier, as it requires removal of material (i.e. basically finishing the job right).

as with anything else, there are pluses and minuses. We all know nibs can cause binding cracks when the board shrinks. But that does not happen if the wood is properly aged. It should also be mentioned that binding cracks can still happen on a bound neck without nibs, if the fret tangs are trimmed to touch the inner part of the binding and then the fret board shrinks.

Renegade

Reaction score
no preference...as long as the fret ends are finished properly. That being said,no nibs might need an occasional fret end maintenance,as time and tide can sprout...sometimes.
^This^

Snakum

Reaction score
I never found much difference between the two.

But I'm weird and prefer unbound boards and no-finish necks. This is why I fell in love with Tributes and it got me back on a Les Paul kick after years away from them.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
looks? nibs.

Function/playing: No Nibs.

It's WAY easier and quicker from a production standpoint to fret a bound neck first THEN bind it to get the nibs. No under cutting the fret tangs etc. no fret edge dressing.

It's actually kinda brilliant.

But I still fret my bound necks without nibs.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It’s more interesting to me how much the nibs seem to vary by model and year. I like the nibs. Sometimes the nibs and binding seem much thicker and make the fretboard wider. Other times with certain fret types on certain models they’re just tiny little finishing’s on the end of the frets which I believe is the way it supposed to be.

gtto

Reaction score
I love the way they look but hate the way they play. They take away too much fret area for me.

wully

Reaction score
I assume that most Gibson player prefer Gibson necks with the fret nibs. But I am curious to know what is the ratio of player who prefer them.

As for myself, I actually changed my mind about that. In younger years I preferred necks without nibs, but later I changed my mind about that and now I love them.

Of course, it should be mentioned that all Gibson guitars are not the same and some have nibs, some don't. It is also true that if you send your Gibson guitar to the Gibson repair shop for a refret job, no attempt will be made to preserve the nibs. And some independent repair shops also advocate for the removal of nibs, when refretting a Gibson neck.

So, let's hear it. What do you prefer? Nibs or no nibs? Or do you not have a preference one way or another?
Not a big fan of the nibs.

your idol

Reaction score
Nib nerding is the worst thing that ever happened to guitar next to COAs and Case Candy. As soon as someone brings the subject up I almost immediately dont want to deal with them because its typically a red flag theyre about to be a pain in the ass.
Ive never played a "nib" in my life. Its never effected my tone. Ive had refretted guitars when they have struggled to keep the nibs and its never very attractive or seamless. Theyre stupid. Get an excellent refret that makes the guitar play excellent and theres always some pearl clutcher "NOT THE NIBS" and they act like the guitar is firewood. For the people this hits a little close to home for or feel offended by this take yourself a moment or two and examine how silly you come across when you lose your grapes over such a tiny non functional aspect of a guitar. If it has nibs and plays good, great! If it has nibs and plays awful, whats the point? Folks gotta stop being so prescious over the damn things. Your heroes, the reason youre into these guitars, when they were out making rock n roll with these guitars you worship I will promise you not a one EVER said "well thats a great guitar mate..but the nibs..."
A small group of some of the most famous Les Pauls in the world, the stuff we fever dream over. Not a damn nib in sight.
981D00ED-1615-429A-8AFA-CFD9773A38CD.jpg
F6EBD522-5E95-4E28-B856-6AAF3DD9CA0B.jpeg
7C3502DA-6EA3-4DB4-8479-B5EC1F090903.jpeg
965F73E1-ABCF-4078-88C8-623C2BBFA57F.jpeg
19B4B1A3-091B-405B-B450-74901C8054FD.jpeg
A66509D6-DCE8-49A8-BBE2-091C94F857AA.jpeg
81946BF0-65D6-4C31-B1C6-DCED60859D43.jpeg
D3F905A9-057C-46B3-B0F1-3B3F7C322722.jpeg
2399DB69-BF0E-4965-8B5C-B6570FB632DB.jpeg
EA38AC92-9045-4E63-94AE-502209729A87.jpeg
95C9BD1D-9F8B-4C6C-8EC4-FDD4DE37EFEA.jpeg

Last edited:

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t like nibs although I like nice neck binding & frets covering fretboard over binding just works out better for me with my style of playing using bending, just my personal preference and I don’t see a right or wrong with either choice, although I do prefer a slight fretboard rollover or taking the sharp fret end edges off at the very least.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
No damn nibs! I want my frets to extend to the edge of the fretboard, over the binding and then just smoothed enough not to cut me. I dont like those fancy "ball-end" fretjobs either, they look weird and makes me slip off the edge

Attachments

Latest Threads