Nibs or No Nibs, which do you prefer?

Do you prefer a Gibson with fret nibs or without fret nibs?

• With fret nibs

Votes: 69 52.3%
  • Without fret nibs

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • No preference

Votes: 37 28.0%

• Total voters

Adinol

Reaction score
I assume that most Gibson player prefer Gibson necks with the fret nibs. But I am curious to know what is the ratio of player who prefer them.

As for myself, I actually changed my mind about that. In younger years I preferred necks without nibs, but later I changed my mind about that and now I love them.

Of course, it should be mentioned that all Gibson guitars are not the same and some have nibs, some don't. It is also true that if you send your Gibson guitar to the Gibson repair shop for a refret job, no attempt will be made to preserve the nibs. And some independent repair shops also advocate for the removal of nibs, when refretting a Gibson neck.

So, let's hear it. What do you prefer? Nibs or no nibs? Or do you not have a preference one way or another?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I guess it depends on the guitar. If it is going for the vintage thing then ideally it should have them. However, if the fret ends are rounded and nice and smooth it is ok as well.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
No preference, although I've had a few times where the string will hit the nibs on my Heritage 157, and when you look really close they could've cleaned up better.

The cheaper Gibsons I've had without nibs have all had sharp fret ends, not the worst but definitely not the most comfortable.

My Midtown Standard has a bound neck with no nibs, is not really something you notice if you're not looking

Roxy13

Reaction score
It depends on the nibs. I like the vintage ones with the thin binding and they are on just the end of the beveled frets. I don't own a Historic Reissue, but several of my MIJs are built to more vintage specs and have that kind. The big chunky ones on modern USA line Gibsons tend to annoy me lol. I rounded them on my LP Traditional to make them more comfortable and less likely to catch my treble E string.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I had a 2017 Standard T and a 2017 Standard HP. The HP had no nibs, while the Standard T had nibs. Honestly, since the fret job on both guitars were impeccable, I did not feel it affected playability or feel in any way whatsoever. The only reason I have a marginal preference for no nibs is that in the very long run, all guitars will eventually need a re-fret job. No nibs is one less thing to worry about. The dilema to get rid of nibs or recreate the nibs, which is time consuming and expensive to do it right, when re-fretting is not there.

Rob H.

Reaction score
Nibs! Plastic feels softer than metal. Gotta be rounded smooth either way.

My least favorite feeling fret edges were a Strat neck with stainless steel frets.

efstop

Declining Rotten Apple
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't matter my preference as only my SG Special has nibs, and only one other of my guitars has binding. I like them, but it's obviously not something I've persued.

BKS

Reaction score
To nib or not to nib....
I like binding but i don't mind it. Some of my nicest gits don't even have binding.
No binding on my custom shop les paul. I don't mis it so nib or no nib.... :dunno:

Latest Threads