NGTD: Killer 2017 Les Paul Standard HCB

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
NGTD (New Guitar Trade Day) and I’m pretty stoked. Technically my first Standard... and I love it!

Traded this for my Solid Rosewood Neck American Professional Stratocaster. Had to drive two hours for the deal, but it was well worth it. Got her home and immediately restrung, oiled fretboard, plus added the switch washer, gold top hats, and pointers. Oh yeah... ditched the huge “new style” strap buttons for a set of classic aluminum units.

Oh yeah... as some of you know, Gibson finally got Heritage Cherry right. The red is very deep and the yellow is a proper amber. This subtle tweak makes a HUGE difference visually in comparison to my old Traditional.

What’s to say? Killer top. I love the asymmetric neck profile, compound radius board, and pretty much everything else. Even the coil taps, out of phase, and full bypass push/pulls. The out of phase middle position sounds absolutely in either single coils or full humbucker mode. Weighs in a exactly 8 pounds on the digital postal scale. Anyway... a few phone pics:

Last edited:

Macronaut

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning!

Can we expect this one to be up for sale soon? :hmm: If so, PM me first :fingersx: I also have a possible trade you just may be interested in.....just sayin'...

MSB

Reaction score
that is a d*mn nice burst, with very nice grain. I think you came out waaaaay ahead. Shoot, I've driven 6.5 hours one way for one.

but i think the asymmetrical neck is one of the best things Gibsons ever did.

:thumbs:

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Ah, that’s one fabulous guitar! I’ve been waiting for this NGD post since you mentioned what was coming in another thread.
:applause:

I have to agree about the HCB — much, much better than the Clown Burst look. The outside should be as deep as the aniline dye colour of the cherry back and neck and the centre should be a rich golden amber. Got some nice flame figuring too!

I’m still enjoying playing with the various pup/tap/phase configurations on the 2014 Standard that I acquired a few months back. I rather like the “everything out” switch setting of both pups coil-tapped with out-of-phase; it has an interesting hollow, woody kind of tone; neither Strat nor Tele but it can be haunting and ethereal with the right amp settings and a bit of reverb.

It still makes me grin that I can then blast back to the raw bridge pup just by pulling out the bridge tone and engaging the bypass switch...
:cool2:

The sixty million dollar question: will this one stay in the stable for long?!

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lawdy! That's pretty! :thumb:

To top it off, add a vintage amber switch tip and a 50's-style truss rod cover.

Great trade. You got the better end of the deal.

BTW, nice sculptured bed spread.
Thanks. I’m way ahead of you. LOL. I picked up an amber switch tip and truss rod cover today (Genuine Gibby parts, of course). Bought the regular blank TRC because I refuse to pay $35 for a Historic.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
The sixty million dollar question: will this one stay in the stable for long?!
Apparently, my reputation precedes me. I’ll do my damn best to keep this one in my hands. I played it for a solid two hours tonight and enjoyed every minute. I have a new Tweed Pro Junior IV on the way, so I’m curious to see how they pair.

My Les Paul Classifieds